30 Years of the Saints - Countdown to NAB 1, 2016.

Remove this Banner Ad

StKilda-logo-1980.gif
StKilda-logo-1989.gif
StKilda-logo-1995.gif

Hey guys & girls,

From today up until the start of our pre-season campaign on February 20th, I've decided I would post videos of memorable St.Kilda games from 1986-2016 in chronological order. I figure it would be something we can use to pass the time and reminisce on some of our greatest moments. May also be a good way to document a bit of the history of the club on our forum.

My first installment will be up shortly, with a brief blurb on the game itself followed by the highlight video. This will be in a separate thread (along with each individual game thereafter).

If you were at one of the games I've posted or have any fond memories in the lead up/aftermath of the game, feel free to discuss it in the games thread. Any questions let me know.

Cheers & Go Saints!!

StKilda-logo-1980.gif
Richmond-logo-1977.gif

Round 17, 1986
Date: 26th July, 1986.
Crowd: 11,889

Cellar dwellers St.Kilda had only won one game for the season - a 52pt win over Melbourne in round 13. Richmond on the other hand were fighting for a spot in the finals, with their last 8 games crucial to their placing on the ladder come the end of the year.

GOALS:
St.Kilda: Burns 4, Lockett 4, Frawley 3, Temay 2, Grant 2, Kink 2, Jobling, Barker, Jones
Richmond: Manton 3, Lee 2, Clark, Pickering

DISPOSALS:
St.Kilda: Temay 30, G. Cunningham 26, Burns 23
Richmond: Eustice 29, Rowlings 26, Geary 22

Just watching Plugger kick his first there, just impeccable run up and kicking motion. The ball barely moves in his hands.

Whats spud doing up at CHF?? Are you crazy!

*EDIT BARKS OUT OF NOWHERE!!!!

Ricky Nixon disgracefully reminds us he played for the Saints by taking a mark and pumping it inside 50!

Geary has travelled back in time and gotten mixed up by playing for the wrong team!

Probably because of Lockett stealing his 14 guernsey. Get in the no.4 you bludger, only kicked 4 so far!

Wow, we've actually brought some life to the off-season lately, with this, the season-in-4-weeks, and 12Chill 's highlight videos. Great stuff GJD23 .
Thanks! As much as it is for the people here, I haven't seen some of these games myself so even I get a kick out of watching a video history of the club haha

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Then again im on holidays and weve just had a newborn baby at home and your posting old Saints games at the same time im supposed to be helping out with the new baby.
:eek:
I could be in a whole world of trouble here:oops:
Dont make me choose:(:p
Hahaha sorry to do it to you mate :rolleyes:

Fantastic memories. Thanks GJD23. I don't remember specific details of this game but I would have almost certainly been there. Some great players in a terrible decade for team results.

Greg Burns showing what a mudlark he was. David Grant, classy whatever the weather. Plugger, just before his breakout year ... 117 goals and the Brownlow in 1987.

Wonderful to see Graeme Gellie. A fantastic player. In and under getting the ball out. Won the B&F in his first season (1978) then did his knee in the following pre-season and didn't play again until 1981 managing 3 games late in the season then missing all of 1982 again through injury. Managed 9 games in 1983 but that was it. 32 games in all.

Gellie became an assistant Coach in 1984 and then Senior Coach when we sacked Tony Jewell after four rounds. He coached the rest of 1984, 1985 and 1986. We won the spoon in each of those years. He was replaced by Darrel Baldock at the end of 1986. He was only 29 years old with little or no coaching experience when he was handed the job. Not a great recipe for success. This game was his last win as StKFC coach.

Fantastic memories. Thanks GJD23. I don't remember specific details of this game but I would have almost certainly been there. Some great players in a terrible decade for team results.

Greg Burns showing what a mudlark he was. David Grant, classy whatever the weather. Plugger, just before his breakout year ... 117 goals and the Brownlow in 1987.

Wonderful to see Graeme Gellie. A fantastic player. In and under getting the ball out. Won the B&F in his first season (1978) then did his knee in the following pre-season and didn't play again until 1981 managing 3 games late in the season then missing all of 1982 again through injury. Managed 9 games in 1983 but that was it. 32 games in all.

Gellie became an assistant Coach in 1984 and then Senior Coach when we sacked Tony Jewell after four rounds. He coached the rest of 1984, 1985 and 1986. We won the spoon in each of those years. He was replaced by Darrel Baldock at the end of 1986. He was only 29 years old with little or no coaching experience when he was handed the job. Not a great recipe for success. This game was his last win as StKFC coach.
Great insight thank you! Very rough times but those wins always meant more.

StKilda-logo-1980.gif
West-Coast-logo-1987.gif

Round 8, 1987
Date: 16th May, 1987.
Crowd: 11,537

The 'Southern Saints' played host to the newly formed West Coast Eagles, as 1987 would mark their first season in the VFL (AFL as of 1990). At the time, West Coast were known for their silky skills, evidenced by players like Worsfold, Mainwaring and Glendinning, however heavy rain hit Moorabbin in the lead up to the match. St.Kilda sat at 2 wins and 5 losses heading into the game, with the Eagles 4-3.

West Coast bolted out of the gates early with a 5 goal first term, but the Saints responded well in the 2nd quarter to take a 3 point advantage into the main break. We resume play at the start of the 2nd half. St.Kilda 6.6.42, lead West Coast 5.9.39.

GOALS:
St.Kilda: Lockett 7, Winmar 2, Owen 2, Loewe, Burns, Peter-Budge
West Coast: Lewis, Zanotti, Lamb, Holmes, Glendinning, Wiley

DISPOSALS:
St.Kilda: Winmar 25, Coghlan 24, Burns 23
West Coast: Malaxos 27, Wrenstead 25, Annear 23

Cheers for the post.
Early days in the what would become prosperous on field relationship between Winmar and Lockett. Great to see them both hitting the scoreboard on numerous occasions.

I'm not sure what it is about it, but i'm still a fan of that inverted Weagles jumper.

Cheers for the post.
Early days in the what would become prosperous on field relationship between Winmar and Lockett. Great to see them both hitting the scoreboard on numerous occasions.

I'm not sure what it is about it, but i'm still a fan of that inverted Weagles jumper.
It's great isn't it! Lockett went onto obviously win the Brownlow that year with 117 goals. I've got another ripper game from '87 for tomorrow. From re-watching these games it just makes me remember what a stud Plugger was. Cheers for the post.

Agree with all this. Youngsters, if I ever get the chance, I will bore you stupid with how good Burns, Grant and Joffa Cunningham were. It was great to roll back the clock with other names I'd almost forgotten - Jobling and Temay. I don't remember either of them playing that well, but there you go. On the negative side of the ledger, Renee Kink.

There were lots of famous names in that Tiger team too. Annear, Flea Weightman, Rioli, Lee.

BTW, we had a fantastic win-loss record on The Winners. The standard program was to show about a half from each of the two highest profile games, then highlights from most of the others, and sometimes they didn't even have cameras at Moorabbin so no highlights for us. But in that period of the 80s, if we had an upset win (so, a win), they'd shorten the two feature games and fit in 15 minutes of our game. You can tell from the length of the video that this was one of those occasions. Hence our win loss record - we basically only appeared on the Winners after an upset win.

Another beautiful Moorabbin day. Must have been difficult if Plugger missed 6 shots at goal.

Some players to note (outside the mainstays of Joffa, Burnsy, Frawley, Grant, etc)

Future 300-gamers Loewe & Burke established themselves playing all 22 games in 1987. Frankie Coghlan having played 6 games in '86, played 21 in '87. Dean Rice debuted this year and played 20 games. Nicky Winmar also joined us in '87 and playing 20 games.

You can see the basis of the team that made the finals in '91 under a weird Final 6 system that saw us finish 4th and have to play Geelong (3rd) in an elimination final while 5th & 6th also played an elimination final. We lost narrowly in an epic game.

Pleased to see John Peter-Budge playing well. I always liked him. Played 45 games over 3 seasons. Also Ricky Nixon wasn't that bad a player.

Then there's the 'foreign legion' who finished their careers at the Saints and in many ways helped take us from multiple wooden spoons to finalists in five years.

The Carlton brigade:
Peter McConville - undersized defender, terrific mark and reader of the ball
Alex Marcou - shocking haircut
'Wow' Jones - served us well in the ruck
Ken Sheldon - played 16 games for us in '87 (didn't see him in the clip) and coached us to the finals in '91 & '92.

'Scratcher' Neal - managed one good year with us in '87 after a great career at Geelong.

Lastly I want to highlight 'Rocket' Rod Owen. Debuted in 1983 as a 16 year old. Highly skilled. Struck down by injury and perhaps was distracted by the infamous Saints Disco. Only 60 games for the Saints in 7 years. Finished up going to Melbourne in '91 (9 games) and the Brisbane Lions in '92 (9 games).

Have a look at his one handed pick-up on the member's wing at the 8.35 minute mark.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back