Past #31: Braydon Preuss - traded to Melbourne FC with #62 - NMFC received Dom Tyson - thx Preussy

Remove this Banner Ad

I would say so. If Preuss can prove he's dedicated to putting the hard yards in, which I think would be the case, then his ceiling is considerably higher than Curries IMO. Also at a much better age to be a long term Goldie replacement.

Don't get me wrong, Currie is a proven talent. We know what we'd get from him in the ruck. I don't think he would be a bad AFL ruckman. But he hasn't shown at the top level his ability to have any influence outside of the ruck (outside 1 or 2 clean grabs). Preuss looks a lot more promising. The type I'd be offering a 1-2 year extension to after he's backed up a half dozen weeks in a row without fail.
Yep exactly what I was thinking. Currie is really just a pure ruck man which is not enough in the game anymore. Excited about the glimpse we got of Preuss. Thinking I might go check out the vfl game tomorrow since it's 5 mins away.

Goldy started playing AFL the year he was drafted, he in reality had less exposure to AFL than Daw before being drafted, he mostly played basketball. You want to target these blokes cheaply and hold on to the ones that adapt quickly.

Cox and Sandilands were rookies as well, Cox couldn't run a lap of an oval when he was drafted, ruck is the one position where you can come from nowhere and become a superstar.

As far as I know Goldy didn't spend his formative years moving through the African continent as a refugee. Nor did Majak grow up playing a bit of junior footy, having kick to kick with mates, being part of an AFL infused society or participating in structured training or regimented private school team sports programs.

Other than that you've managed to put up some isolated disconnected facts. Well done.

Aha. Thanks mate. Why did I think basketball? Who knows....

Yep that would be even better, and yes for sure, hard hits not a surprise. Sure some way to go but looks a real find.

Maybe this vid and the dunk it contains?

I'm sort of disappointed to learn the correct pronunciation of his name. I had read it as something like Pray-us. So that it rhymed perfectly with this Simpsons classic. His nickname could have been Doctor.

Still can be:

One ruck,
GOLDSTEIN%20Todd_t.png
deuce ruck
CURRIE%20Daniel_t.png

Majak ruck,
DAW%20Majak_t.png
Preuss ruck.
PREUSS%20Braydon_t.png

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon the club would be pretty ecstatic they've nailed down a young developing ruck with genuine edge.

There's only 3 players in the AFL taller than him, ones an American, the other two are Witts and Sandilands.

If he can develop a forward side to his game he could be a genuine top prospect at AFL level with his size, both of which Witts and Sandilands have been unable to do. He cetainly moves better than those two.

5. After missing the last week before the bye due to a one-week suspension, Braydon Preuss rebounded by giving the Roosters a significant edge in the ruck. He had 37 hit-outs and four clearances.

“He was either ruck or off … he didn’t go forward too much, but he dominated the ruck after (Shaun) Hampson pulled out of the game.

“His centre bounce work was much improved – he’s working hard each week on what he needs to improve on.”

2. Developing big man Braydon Preuss had a promising game, despite a tough start.

“He was ordinary early. He was getting push off the ball a bit and lost his footing a few times,” Dyer said.

“He thought his way through it and re-adjusted in the second half. He got on top in the hit-outs, both in the centre and around the ground.

“He went forward and got on the move and took three marks, two of them contested. He looked like he had a bit more of a presence after half-time.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back