Past #31: Cameron Delaney - selected by Geelong with pick 34 in 2014 Rookie Draft - delisted end '16

Remove this Banner Ad

Ben Mabon looks really agile and seems to take a great mark!
His tap work is also fantastic, also being able to smash the ball shows that he has a bit of **** in him which BON will bring out even more now :thumbsu:

I love the look of Delaney, really great use of the body in some of the one on ones.

Mabon reminds me of an old style ruckman, with the use of his legs, body positioning and how he goes about his tapwork.

He punches the ball like it called his mother a ****.

Mabons tap work is impressive, and Delaney's disposal looks terrific.

Bring on 2011!

Interesting comments regarding Ben, is that apart from hamish and goldy after that we(NTH) dont really have a ruckman that could walk right in. So majak needs to show a bit or he is not classed as a a ruckman in scotty's eyes. I just thought it was as I said, a interesting comment.

Interesting comments regarding Ben, is that apart from hamish and goldy after that we(NTH) dont really have a ruckman that could walk right in. So majak needs to show a bit or he is not classed as a a ruckman in scotty's eyes. I just thought it was as I said, a interesting comment.
Majak might be able to pinchhit, but seems to be being groomed for a fwd spot?!

'The Vibe' looks like a good pick up I reckon.

Majak might be able to pinchhit, but seems to be being groomed for a fwd spot?!

Apparently so Kimbo. He appears well suited to it too. IF he clicks in a KPF role in a year or two, we'll have our X Factor drawing the crowds in.

As stated in another thread, Matt Rendell, the Crows recruiting guy said he was amazed that North Melbourne were able to pick up "the best 18yo fullback in the country" (Cameron Delaney) with pick 69, he thought we got a bargain.

Hopefully we reverse our recent trend of turning forwards into backmen, and try to turn one of the Delaney's into a key forward. Just because.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As stated in another thread, Matt Rendell, the Crows recruiting guy said he was amazed that North Melbourne were able to pick up "the best 18yo fullback in the country" (Cameron Delaney) with pick 69, he thought we got a bargain.

Hopefully we reverse our recent trend of turning forwards into backmen, and try to turn one of the Delaney's into a key forward. Just because.

Anyone have a link to this?

Welcome to North Melbourne, Cameron Delaney, number 31

Delaney(1).jpg
cameron_delaney_pro246.jpg

[YOUTUBE]-rS_GrIkHvI[/YOUTUBE]​

Number 31
Height 194cm
Weight 82kg
DOB 19-06-1992
Debut Yet to debut

North Melbourne was able to secure Cameron Delaney with pick 69 in the 2010 National Draft. He joined his brother Luke, who was already on the North Melbourne rookie list.

Tall defender with a surprising leg speed for his size, plus the agility to match. Can and will win the ball for himself. He is a rangy type with good closing speed and was a Vic Country representative in the 2010 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, managing 42 disposals at 66.9% effectiveness in five games.

Brad Scott says: We really wanted a key defender if we could. We went in with a strategy of picking the best available talent at that pick, but to have Cameron there available and address our need of a key defender, was fantastic.

Kevin Sheehan says: Cameron is a composed tall defender who is able to read the ball well coming into defence and make good decisions on when to mark and spoil. He is a rangy type with good closing speed and was a Vic Country representative in the 2010 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships.

Stats (aggregate for 2010 U18 Championships)
Code:
 Games 	 K 	 H 	 D 	 M 	G       H/O
   5 	31 	11 	42 	 9 	0 	 1

In his own words
What type of player are you?
An outgoing bloke and quiet achiever with the versatility and huge amount of development and potential to go places.

Which AFL player do you feel you resemble, and why?
Dustin Fletcher because he's a similar build and I believe his style of game is much like mine.

What are your strengths as a footballer?
My ability to read the play and decision making while under pressure. Also my speed and skills for a big bloke.

What parts of your game would you like to improve?
My tackling, talk and body strength.

Which AFL team do you support and how did you come to barrack for them?
I follow North Melbourne just because of family background.

Who has been the biggest influence on your career so far, and why?
My father because he has always given me the confidence to do what I feel is best.

Other links:
Cameron Delaney joins brother Luke at North Melbourne
Training Day: Pre-season 2011

When it comes to getting reward for effort, no-one deserves it more than burly defender Luke Delaney.

After biding his time in the VFL for almost two and a half seasons, the man affectionately nicknamed ‘Car Keys’ (because he lost his keys on his very first day at Aegis Park), will finally get the opportunity he's been waiting for.

The 21 year-old is set to debut for North Melbourne and will be thrown straight into the deep end against the Lions on Saturday night.

http://www.kangaroos.com.au/latestnews/newsarticle/tabid/4912/newsid/114298/default.aspx

Interesting that Keys' first match up could be Brown.
Sex Ed on the LTI list now.

Deserves his own thread, big day tomorrow for a very promising kid.

Must be one of the least hyped young players at North where we often rate kids way ahead of their actual output. Really liked the look of him from the pre-draft vids and thought he was the best thing to come out of the Bulldogs preseason game.

Looked capable of fighting at ground level yet also strong in the air. Very agile for his size and outstanding reach. While Dermot and gang were frothing over Skinner's NON mark they missed this bloke riding the pack at the same time and putting a perfectly timed spoiling fist through - like he's done it a 1000 times before.

Hope he has a solid debut at the least, we're not as well stocked in proven quality key defender stocks as many think and an aggressive rangy kid like this could set the defensive foundation of our side for years to come.

Good luck spare keys!

He may may be a lock for defence by the end of the year. You never know.

Side note: I was looking out for him at training yesterday. Sat on the fence at the end of training when some of the boys were doing kicking drills. Suprised me because he was a lot bigger than I expected (big in the rump) then I realised I was looking at Tom Curran. Curran looks like he could match it in the seniors straight away. Very vocal during the drill. He'll be a power forward with his frame - no doubt - and very neat kick.

Looking forward to seeing how he goes. He did look good in that Bulldogs game, i agree with how KC summed it up. He reminded me of Dustin Fletcher - agility, long reach, rangy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back