Past #31: Cameron Delaney - selected by Geelong with pick 34 in 2014 Rookie Draft - delisted end '16

Remove this Banner Ad

It looks like Grima will miss a few more weeks and it is painfully obvious that his body is not going to cope with 22-25 games a year. We can't rely on him to be there when it matters, sadly.
Obviously Grima his best he is in the side, but the return of Cam Delaney in the VFL last weekend gives us the chance to pump some games into him in the second half of the year.
Delaney strikes me as the logical long-term assistant to Thompson and has the necessary tools.
He's tall, agile and uses the ball well. And has time on his side.
Tippett is a stop gap and Spud is there to fill the void, which he has been doing incredibly well.
Not sure how Cam went last week (haven't seen any reports?), but I'd like to see him slipped into the side once he has couple of full VFL games under his belt.
I think he is important for us heading forward.
Didn't we trade him to StK for Dal Santos?

It looks like Grima will miss a few more weeks and it is painfully obvious that his body is not going to cope with 22-25 games a year. We can't rely on him to be there when it matters, sadly.
Obviously Grima his best he is in the side, but the return of Cam Delaney in the VFL last weekend gives us the chance to pump some games into him in the second half of the year.
Delaney strikes me as the logical long-term assistant to Thompson and has the necessary tools.
He's tall, agile and uses the ball well. And has time on his side.
Tippett is a stop gap and Spud is there to fill the void, which he has been doing incredibly well.
Not sure how Cam went last week (haven't seen any reports?), but I'd like to see him slipped into the side once he has couple of full VFL games under his belt.
I think he is important for us heading forward.

Cam is the perfect replacement for grima.

hopefully he can string some games together in the VFL then make a run late in the year. I think he will need at least a month to get some conditioning and find some form. By that time I'm tipping Grima will be back too.

For the 14 games Grima is fit for, absolutely. Delaney is 5 years younger.

He is less then 4 years younger if we want to get technical. Delaney is 25 at present and Narni is 28 until August.

Delaney is clearly more durable, he just isn't very good. Apart from a game on a completely out of form Chris Dawes a couple of years back, he has been taken to by every half decent opponent.

Late last year when Thompson and Grima were out was his chance to stand up and lead the backline and he was absolutely awful, often having to be hidden around Hansen and Spud.

The question is why did we put so much time into him? You can get superior players in the state leagues, Tippet is a great example.

He is less then 4 years younger if we want to get technical. Delaney is 25 at present and Narni is 28 until August.

Delaney is clearly more durable, he just isn't very good. Apart from a game on a completely out of form Chris Dawes a couple of years back, he has been taken to by every half decent opponent.

Late last year when Thompson and Grima were out was his chance to stand up and lead the backline and he was absolutely awful, often having to be hidden around Hansen and Spud.

The question is why did we put so much time into him? You can get superior players in the state leagues, Tippet is a great example.

I don't see it as a choice between Grima and Luke Delaney. Tippett and Dal Santo are worth more to us than Car Keys - you can make sure you have backup with Grima's history, but you can't plan for the bad luck of Tippett's injury, especially being out at the same time as Cam. Very glad they kept Spud as extra insurance for the back line.

Cam has played 6 AFL games in 3.5 seasons. I don't know how many VFL games he's played in that time - would it be 30?

My guess is that if it came down to a durability contest between Narni and Cam, Narni would win hands down. :sad face

Even if we had Delaney Snr he would struggle to be in our best 22 now anyway regardless of Grima.

Thommo, Hansen and Spud are doing their job ok, and I wouldn't four talls as we lack rebound anyway. Maybe for some teams he could play a role I guess.

It's the midfielders that are the problem.
Agree completely. Rapt that Luke is getting regular game with the Saints but he is a very limited player.

Delaney plays against Freo instead of Grima, we lose.

And you forget the fact that Luke wanted to go.
I don't know about that. My info was he had a big body and StK threw some serious $$$ his way. We seriously need to tidy up our celery cap to avoid such misdemeanours in the future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Luke Delaney wasn't awful late last year as claimed and I wouldn't have used him as steak knives but it is what it is.

I was never a fan but my Saints supporters mates have been won over. They reckon he's doing very well.

I suspect the steak knives part of the NDS deal was always part of the unwritten agreement, but you will recall it took a while to go through because Pelchen got greedy and petulent.

And there i was thinking injuries had signalled the end. Terrific if Cam can get through to next year injury free.

But with North's key-position depth in 2015 set to bolstered by the addition of former Carlton spearhead Jarrad Waite and the likely returns from injury of Robbie Tarrant and Cameron Delaney, Grima suspects he will have to be at his best to hold his spot in the Roos' team.

Did we ever think a toe injury was going to be career threatening?

Could surprise a lot of people next year.

Did we ever think a toe injury was going to be career threatening?

Could surprise a lot of people next year.

I'm more than willing to be pleasantly surprised. Minimum 12 games in the AFL or VFL at full fitness. None of this playing hurt/coming back from injury BS.

Cam will actually be a very good player if he can get an injury free run

Cam will actually be a very good player if he can get an injury free run

Stood next to him last night (as you may have, too). He's certainly tall enough to be a KPD, but still a bit on the 'lean' side. If he adds a bit more muscle, he may well become the one who can play on the gorilla forwards in coming years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back