Point Cook
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Red Sox, Man U, Chi Bears
539493_3851464543937_1250422823_n.jpg

Can't say much more here either

Dustin Fletcher

How many more seasons does Fletch have left in him? Currently sitting on 276 games he will surely play 2 more seasons to reach 300 games. Assuming he played 44 games over the next 2 seasons that would have him on 320 games... which then brings him close to 350.

To reach 350 however he will need

• 3 seasons playing every game plus 8 finals.
  • or 4 seasons playing 74 out of 88 home and away matches.
I can see Fletch playing 3 more seasons (assuming he stays relatively injury free), especially with Mal back there with him, however 4 seasons might be pushing it.

If he does play 3 more, it would give time for our young defenders to develop.

Thoughts??

Re: Dustin Fletcher

He'll be 33 next season, i highly doubt he'd have 4 years left let alone 3.
I was expecting another year or 2 out of him, and i'd be pretty happy with that.

I think he could manage 3 more seasons, his body is a lot more durable than most his age.

3 seasons for about 55-60 games to end around the 330-340 mark.

I think he could manage 3 more seasons, his body is a lot more durable than most his age.

3 seasons for about 55-60 games to end around the 330-340 mark.

I think it's more his mental capacity which has kept him playing so long. His body is starting to struggle I think, as he had problems all this year with it, but he has such a mental strength (and footy smarts) which has enabled to play at a such a high quality for his age.

I see him getting to passing 300 and retiring in the season he does it. So two years I think. Would love more but I think 2 years retiring at 35 will be it

I think it's more his mental capacity which has kept him playing so long. His body is starting to struggle I think, as he had problems all this year with it, but he has such a mental strength (and footy smarts) which has enabled to play at a such a high quality for his age.

I see him getting to passing 300 and retiring in the season he does it. So two years I think. Would love more but I think 2 years retiring at 35 will be it

Couldn't spur him on for 1 more if our 2010 plan is on track then?

I reackon 4/5 years. I mean his form is great, he got AA and the premiership window could be pen in a couple of years.

I think he will finish in 2009 with just over 300 games.
I can see them nursing him through 15 or so games a season whilst giving valuable game time to the youngsters.

there was an article on the essendon website a few months ago discussing it with him. all he said was he is pumped for 2008 and hopefully more seasons, i would assume he would stay for another 2 years.. that would be the safest bet.. i guess injury's will play a big part, he has never been too injury prone so finishing at 35 is probably realistic

If he just continues to sit loose across half back, collecting 30 of the cheapest touches you've ever seen each game, then he could go till he's 40.

Was lucky to get AA in 2007, I don't believe in rewarding defenders who don't defend a man.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he just continues to sit loose across half back, collecting 30 of the cheapest touches you've ever seen each game, then he could go till he's 40.

Was lucky to get AA in 2007, I don't believe in rewarding defenders who don't defend a man.

mate u dnt no s**t about footy to say that. look who u ****ing barrack for colloinwood just sums up u as a person and your 1 eyed view on football. if you new anything about football n u watched any games beside collingwood u would now how good he is. he deserved that all australian who knows nuthing about footy then u will think that prestigeocomo deservied all australian didnt he. get ur facts rite n stay the *** out of the essendon forum

Maybe they rewarded him for setting up a lot of goals from his rebound from defence?

mate u dnt no s**t about footy to say that. look who u ****ing barrack for colloinwood just sums up u as a person and your 1 eyed view on football. if you new anything about football n u watched any games beside collingwood u would now how good he is. he deserved that all australian who knows nuthing about footy then u will think that prestigeocomo deservied all australian didnt he. get ur facts rite n stay the *** out of the essendon forum

How bout you look at the point at hand, the fact that Fletcher did play loose (or on one of the lesser forwards) for the vast majority of 2007, and that the vast majority of his touches were uncontested.

I'm not saying he doesn't create play well, but so does Sam Fisher and Matty Scarlett except they play on the best forwards every week, or at least the second best forward.

The fact you just see that Collingwood emblem under my profile and just cast it off as rubbish immedietely is typical. What I'm saying is correct, so pretend for a second that, I'm a fellow Essendon a fan saying that, what would your reaction be?

I imagine if I'd have said the Bombers will win the flag within the next 5 years, you'd still call me a ****wit because I'm a Collingwood supporter, focus on the issue not who the other bloke goes for, you people say you hate Collingwood so much, then don't bring them up in conversation I didn't.

PS: Presti is the last bloke who should have been AA, because although you may not think so I have the capacity to support the game.

I don't think Dustin will go on for too much longer to tell you the truth.

It's not a matter of ability, as Dustin could still be playing reasonable football in 4 years, I just don't think he desires to be a journey man.

I think we'll see play for 2 more years and retire the same way that Wellman and Hird did, on top. He could go for longer, I just don't think he will.

So did Sam Fisher at St. Kilda, but he actaully played CHB on the CHF, most weeks. Fletcher didn't.

Fisher didn't play on the CHF most weeks, that's a load of rubbish.

Fisher played on CHFs when Maguire or Hudghton was injured, that's the extent of it. He played his best footy as a loose man. He said it himself.

Whilst ww're on the topic of loose defenders, I assume you're against the inclusion of Andrew McLeod in the team?

So did Sam Fisher at St. Kilda, but he actaully played CHB on the CHF, most weeks. Fletcher didn't.

I think you will find that S.Fisher played loose across half back as well, and when he did play CHB on a CHF (only because of injuries at St Kilda) he got towelled up. Fisher has no defensive aspect to his game at all, Fletcher can go back onto a defender and hold his own, if not win, however the Essendon game plan had Fletcher playing as a loose defender in 2007, and he was by far the best at it in the league!!!

Collingwood dont use loose defenders at all do they........

Fisher admitted he played loose for one game when he was being interviewed and he said it's not hard to play well when your a loose man.

You'll find that he played on and beat/contained the likes of Matty Richardson, Matthew Pavlich, Travis Cloke, Buddy Franklin, Drew Petrie, Warren Tredrea just to name a few throughout the year.

So no he didn't get towelled up at all, and yes he did play on the bigger, better forwards when McGuire and Hudghton were out, which, in case you hadn't realised, was for the majority of the year.

Fletcher has lost the ability to contain not just the best but even the better forwards in the game.

Collingwood do utilise loose men, I never said I was in favour of it though, and yes I do put Andrew McLeod in that bracket, because although he is a very good player I don't respect the role he plays.

Although, McLeod doesn't have the cpacity to play as a key defender, Fletcher does and it's where he should have played more often particularly considering how badly beaten Michael got on a regular basis, but Sheedy just gave Fletch the easy run, and I don't like that.

Fletcher wasn't named at CHB, in fact he wasn't even named in the backline, so how is that even relevant?

Fletcher was in the team as the interchange defender, and I don't believe he should have been because I thought there were players more worthy, and I thought his 2nd half to 2007 was patchy. The likes of Fisher, Bolton, Rutten I would have had ahead of him.

I guess you don't rate Heath Shaw then.

Heath Shaw isn't a key defender, he wasn't hidden and handed his success in 2007 on a silver platter like Fletcher was, who just floated loose, all the while watching Mal Michael get flogged most games getting his 30 cheap ones a match.

There is no reason why Fletcher couldn't have created play whilst playing on a quality opponent, like he should have, and if Sheedy wasn't concerned about Fletcher's waning ability to take a decent opponent he wouldn't have brought in Mal Michael.

Shaw wins a hard ball too, but like I've said I'm not the one concerned about turning this into a Collingwood v. The Rest debate, you people obviously are.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back