Retired #31: Dustin Fletcher - Legend & VFL Assistant Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Also on the prospect of him retiring; don't mind if he does.

Think about it, while he plays on we're going to have to play Hurley or Carlisle forward which reduces their value to the team. As much as he deserves to go out on his own terms, we're crying out for a CHF and Carlisle is a stop gap measure

Think Fletch's form has been much better than 2013, though Robbo must have reason to write the article. By my reckoning Fletch has had no poor games in 2014 - Actually his form has been very consistent.

Also on the prospect of him retiring; don't mind if he does.

Think about it, while he plays on we're going to have to play Hurley or Carlisle forward which reduces their value to the team. As much as he deserves to go out on his own terms, we're crying out for a CHF and Carlisle is a stop gap measure

Maybe their individual value, but Fletcher improves us as a team. Fletcher hasn't been much worse, if at all, than Carlisle and Hurley defensively/offensively, but allows us added flexibility. I'm more than happy to have him in the side until Bellchambers hits great form.

I think it is a 50/50 call.. the time will come eventually and you can't ask for more than Fletch has given...

I just hate that it was titled "Fletcher career at crossroads"

Not sure it is at a crossroad.. the end has been coming for a long, long, long, long time...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

as discussed earlier, re: Fletcher catching Tuck......yes, if Fletcher hadnt been reported so many times then it would help him....
Fletcher has now played more seasons than Tuck (20 seasons compared to Fletcher 22). But what helped Tuck was that back then they played up to 24 rounds a season and remember, during Tucks career.....how many Grand Finals did the Hawks make it in? i know of at least 10! Tuck played 39 finals matches (including 7 premierships)
I sure hope Fletch over takes him!!! GO BOMBERS!!

would he?
i think you are right!! He could line up for goal anywhere within 65 meters of goal. He knows exactly how a defender thinks! (hes only been doing it for 22 years) and if he just turns his punching fist into a marking hand, he could take awesome grabs! i think Defenders today would struggle against him..... big time!

he's had a great season. I honestly see no reason (form wise) for him not to carry on.

Can Damo that stupid little campaigner stop *******.. Well... CAMPAIGNING for Fletcher to finish this year. He tried it last year and Fletcher has honestly got us over the line for 4 points at least twice this year and made him look like a bellend. I seemed like like he was just waiting for one quiet game to start waving his arms in the air with full boner yelling "HE'S DONE, HE'S DONE!!"

It does get a bit tiresome.

At the end of the day, Fletcher has had a very good season and arguably his best season since around 2010. He had an ordinary game last night but he also lacked a good match up. The best teams in the league typically have a good match-up for three tall defenders and there is nobody really close to taking his position.

Until a few weeks ago it appeared that Fletcher was stopping Carlisle from playing down back - which might've benefited the team - but with Carlisle new-found confidence it appears unlikely that he'll head down back any time soon. That leaves Steinberg and Pears as Fletcher's logical replacements, Steinberg has been fairly good in the VFL this season but is a rookie and Pears isn't rated by Bomber and appears unlikely to get a run unless there's an emergency.

As a result, the team is better with Fletcher unless there is clearly no suitable match up for him.

He had a bad game against the Doggies but so did Hibberd and Stanton. He has had a much more consistent year this year compared to 2013. If he finishes the year off well he should go on BUT if he starts to put a couple more performances like the doggies game in he should seriously weigh up playing or not in 2015.

He had a bad game against the Doggies but so did Hibberd and Stanton. He has had a much more consistent year this year compared to 2013. If he finishes the year off well he should go on BUT if he starts to put a couple more performances like the doggies game in he should seriously weigh up playing or not in 2015.

agree with this, needs to have a solid finish to the year to justify going on next season, & if by some minor miracle we get to the GF & Fletch plays all games, that puts him on 400 I believe - a flag & 400 wouldn't be the worst way to bow out;)

Liked!... Like button won't work on new skin :(

I got blasted last week for saying Fletcher looked a bit off, however I don't think he's done at all as he's done this a few times in the last few years late in the season.

I'm sure he will play out the rest of the season in pretty good fashion.

Can Damo that stupid little campaigner stop *******.. Well... CAMPAIGNING for Fletcher to finish this year. He tried it last year and Fletcher has honestly got us over the line for 4 points at least twice this year and made him look like a bellend. I seemed like like he was just waiting for one quiet game to start waving his arms in the air with full boner yelling "HE'S DONE, HE'S DONE!!"

And when Fletch does retire, look for Damo say "I told you so."

Stupid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back