Retired #31: Dustin Fletcher - Legend & VFL Assistant Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Rookie him, get him to 400 games & call it a day.

Rookie him, get him to 400 games & call it a day.

Thought you said Rooke him. As in, get him to grow a serious beard.

Or possibly get him to move horizontally and cross-over with the King.

How about no.

We are not some schite club that treats its stars like that. He plays on IF he is best 22. Not some farking rookie.
EFA.

If he is best 22 he will play. If he no longer is, then treat him like every other player.

What would make him not best 22?
To be honest, I already think he is borderline.

I'd like to preface this by saying I don't want this to turn into a Hurley/Carlise positioning shitfight.

IMO, I'd say that Hooker, Hurley and Carlisle are now ahead of Fletcher as defenders. It all comes down to what Hird decides to do with our forward line in 2015 and whether Hurley or Carlisle ends up there.

If I was coach, Fletcher wouldn't be in my best 22 next year.

I'd like to preface this by saying I don't want this to turn into a Hurley/Carlise positioning shitfight.

IMO, I'd say that Hooker, Hurley and Carlisle are now ahead of Fletcher as defenders. It all comes down to what Hird decides to do with our forward line in 2015 and whether Hurley or Carlisle ends up there.

one of Hurley or Carlisle will always be forward. I would guess Carlisle as those few games were amazing and the ability to take so many contested marks inside 50 is so valuable. Defence is already 4th best in the league.

Fletch playing on gives back line depth and Hurley could have freedom to go forward more often.

If this were an older list who had had a crack and fallen short, I'd want him to step aside. But this list is still building and will hopefully break its finals duck of more than a decade to prepare for bigger and better things in 2015 and beyond. If he feels like he wants to and can be a part of that, then he should be allowed that chance.

I've said it before.. but there are certain guys in a footy club that have earnt the right to say 'when'. These are once in a generation players.. the soul of a footy club. Men who have given their youth, their spirit and every ounce of strength to the cause. In my mind, from the last 20 years, the blokes I include in this category are probably Hird, Lloyd, Thompson, Tim Watson, Harvey and Long. Essentially not many.

Fletcher is one such person in my opinion. I don't care if it means that we end up 'wasting' a spot because he decides he can't keep up in Round 12 next year.. or whatever might happen.

If he wants another year, then he gets one.. it is that simple for me. Also, his form wasn't that bad this year.. and he is certainly better than Pears or Steinberg. Put it this way.. if he was fit right now.. he would be playing in the best 22.

You don't push champions, legends, out the door. Ever. Period. Surely the Lloyd debacle taught us that.

Last edited:

We've been through this a thousand times. and there is zero chance of Hird putting Carlisle back in defence.
There is also little chance Steingberg or Pears will be consistently better than Fletch next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've been through this a thousand times. and there is zero chance of Hird putting Carlisle back in defence.
There is also little chance Steingberg or Pears will be consistently better than Fletch next year.

I wouldn't put money on that.

I wouldn't put money on that.
I would. I am pretty confident that the positions will remain. They might swing around a bit more next year, but fundamentally Hurley will be a defender next year and Carlisle a forward.

Unless we can find a good CHF in the off-season, I agree with Ben. Whilst I think Hurley, Hooker, Carlisle, Baguley, Hibberd, Dempsey make a fantastic back 6, it'd make our forward line close to the worst in the league.

Carlisle, Hurley and Hooker are not all going to play at the same end of the ground at the same time.

Hooker will always be back and I reckon Hurley's form in the backline has him settled there. So that leaves Carlisle...

This is even more accentuated if Fletcher is still around.

Seriously clutching at straws here, but was was so significant that we pulled Fletcher out for the rest of the season where a finals spot was/is on the line?

Here's the kicker - is he a chance for selection this week?
Rested up and fresh
Any surgery had time to recover
Third tall down back

Seriously clutching at straws here, but was was so significant that we pulled Fletcher out for the rest of the season where a finals spot was/is on the line?

Here's the kicker - is he a chance for selection this week?
Rested up and fresh
Any surgery had time to recover
Third tall down back
I think originally there was talk that he could be back if we made it to the 2nd round.. or prelim..

But he has been on the training track.. so you wonder. With Carlisle out.. is it worth the risk?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back