Club Profile

Demonwiki

The Dr

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Have just been reading the book by Emma Quayle (Age footy journo) called The Draft.

It basically follows for a year five draftees (Cyril Rioli, Ben McEvoy, Brad Ebert, Vespremi and Trent Cotchin) in the year leading up to getting drafted.

Jack gets mentioned a few times and every single mention is about what a gun he will be and what a fantastic young fella he is.

After his injury struggles in 08, I am bloody excited to see him in the red and blue next year.

Game he got last year was surely just token, but I'm hoping he'll be able to shake off those injuries this year and play at least half a dozen games. Strange as it may sound, I think his main worry will be finding a spot in the side, especially with Petterd back fit and firing and the likes of Buckley, Morton, Maric, Moloney all fighting for those last few spots in the middle of the park (assuming Junior, McLean, Jones, Green and Bruce were all instant conclusions).

A lot of wraps on this kid, and I must admit I haven't seen much so I'll hold judgment till the year but the words I've heard from pre-season reports sound promising.

Game he got last year was surely just token, but I'm hoping he'll be able to shake off those injuries this year and play at least half a dozen games. Strange as it may sound, I think his main worry will be finding a spot in the side, especially with Petterd back fit and firing and the likes of Buckley, Morton, Maric, Moloney all fighting for those last few spots in the middle of the park (assuming Junior, McLean, Jones, Green and Bruce were all instant conclusions).
This is a pertinant point BC. You've outlined what I am dubbing 'Bailey's Dilemma'. Our problem is not just the amount of raw youngsters on our list but the amount of new players full stop. Without getting too worried about the extra rookies who are there more as an option than anything I still think Bailey's #1 problem is trying out all these new players whilst keeping the team on a forward course. We have some players in their early 20's who have yet to play a game. If it wasn't for senior injurys last year then we would even have some defenders with less games.

I think next year we may have to recruit one or two established players simply because they are proven. At this rate I don't think Bailey will be able to develop this many new players with game time, as a result some will suffer from being underdeveloped and maybe overlooked for proven players in trade period.

ize_

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Have just been reading the book by Emma Quayle (Age footy journo) called The Draft.

It basically follows for a year five draftees (Cyril Rioli, Ben McEvoy, Brad Ebert, Vespremi and Trent Cotchin) in the year leading up to getting drafted.

Jack gets mentioned a few times and every single mention is about what a gun he will be and what a fantastic young fella he is.

After his injury struggles in 08, I am bloody excited to see him in the red and blue next year.
Also read the book and everyone seemed very impressed with Jack all the way through. He comes out of it looking very good. Any indication of how many games he'll play this year? Will he be pushing for regular selection or does he need another year?

May 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Hell yes he does, I think this guy will be my favourite player over his career. No one really took the mantle(favourite player) for me after Woewy but I got a feeling this guy will be something special.

May 27, 2006
This is the location section. 🤗
AFL Club
Melbourne
Re: Jake Grimes

How good was THAT smother? :thumbsu:

Looking at your boy Jake Grimes for my supercoach team but dont no to much about him. Like if he is in your 22, a good prospect, good bad points any info would be great

There's a thread on the main board regarding Dream Team and SuperCoach questions. Jack has been mentioned numerous times.

Clean Heels

Team Captain
Suspended
May 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
If Grimes stays sound, he should play the majority of games..

Would bring him on, which he needs - because he missed last yr,
plus I believe he is more than capable to be thrown in the deep
end - the type of player who would thrive on it, just needs to
be playing and getting settled in our side, agree with the
other poster - he is a gun..

Back