Mitch Harvey (Past Players)

Remove this Banner Ad

HARVEY-Mitchell.png

Height: 196 cm

Weight: 100 kg

Date of Birth: 17 August 1995

Nickname:

Position: Key Forward / Ruck

Recruited From: North Adelaide (2013 National Draft Pick #45)

Career Games: 0

Career Goals: 0

More info on Mitch Harvey

2015 was a good year for Mitch in the SANFL. He kicked multiple goals in 8 of his 18 games, with a purple patch mid year of 11 goals in 5 matches. He improved his output and looked dangerous when he got the ball. Despite this, he still lacked consistency at times, struggling to get into games for long periods and failing to have the ability to get up and down the ground effectively. At the end of the season, Mitch was surprisingly delisted, with suggestions that his physical constraints would keep him from being an effective AFL player.

Highlight Reel:

Last edited by a moderator:
He certainly is a big boy! I can't see him getting early games, perhaps they will debut him in the middle rounds after getting a good preseason in and some time in the Maggies. I like the look of Harvey, here's hoping he's given a chance!

Informative article on Mitch Harvey from Matt Agius writing for the Port website. Good stuff. :thumbsu:

Mitch has been named in the Port squad for Sunday's NAB Challenge gae.

Mitch Harvey
PORT ADELAIDE'S sole South Australian recruit from the NAB AFL Draft is Mitch Harvey and he’s a Port man through and through.

But entering the AFL system with his favourite club is a tall order for the 18-year-old, who grew up in the city's inner northern suburbs and never strayed too far from home when it came to his footy.
Mitch Harvey

(PS who is Mitch's buddy - you should be doing this ;))

Informative article on Mitch Harvey from Matt Agius writing for the Port website. Good stuff. :thumbsu:

Mitch has been named in the Port squad for Sunday's NAB Challenge gae.

Mitch Harvey

Mitch Harvey

(PS who is Mitch's buddy - you should be doing this ;))

Great article. I love getting the full story that never makes it to our mainstream media.

Prospect boy, educated at St Peters, plays at North but is a mad Port fan as were his father and grandfather. Love it!!! Good luck on Sunday big fella.

I doubt the club will rush either of Harvey or Shaw into AFL footy this season, and will give both a full development year with the Maggies.

If John Butcher can't hold his spot, or gets injured, I expect Paul Stewart will get first crack at the extra tall forward's gig.
Plus, with the improvement shown by Hombsch and Clurey as tall defenders, and the eventual return of Carlile, Trengove is another forward option, as also is Redden when he is eventually over his injury woes.

Last edited:
Shaw IMO doesn't look like an eventual AFL player. Harvey on the other hand is a brute. I really like him - surprisingly good skills too. Needs 3 years under Burgo - heard he was running 13-14 minutes for his 3km out at North - when he didn't have glandular fever. That's barely amateur league fitness levels.

Very impressed with him though, will take time but he's my favourite from last years draft at this stage.

You reckon if Butcher doesn't perform in the SANFL and Harvey does we should give him a game late in the year (eg Round 18 vs Melbourne) as the 3rd tall?
His endurance and the fact he is only 18 are the only bad things about him atm.
Nicked your post from the 'Changes v Geelong' thread, as it would have veered off topic to answer there.

Harvey is performing nicely as of SANFL R3/AFL R5. He is as worthy of reward for performance as any other player on our list, and if a spot comes up I'm happy for him to have a crack. He is more the classical big body, contested mark clunker than Butcher so he probably wouldn't divide opinion the way Butch does.

I really hope he gets a game late in the year.
Mitch as the 3rd tall could be a great prospect in the short term during his development years.
Don't think he will be ready to ruck at AFL level yet but he can take a mark and is a good kick for goal.

And because he is forward with Schulz, when Lobbe is not rucking Trengove can have some time in the middle while the Hoff goes around the wings/deep defense.

Last edited:
If and only if he has the fitness by then. He would be a liability with his running power at this stage I believe.

The rest of his game I'm comfortable with and he poops on shaw.

If and only if he has the fitness by then. He would be a liability with his running power at this stage I believe.

The rest of his game I'm comfortable with and he poops on shaw.

Surely we could experiment a bit vs a team like Melbourne?

Surely we could experiment a bit vs a team like Melbourne?

I agree but at this stage I have been told his fitness levels are so poor that even against a bottom dweller he would be found out.

Edit: that wasn't the direct quote - it was more like schulz runs about an extra 60 % in a game than Mitch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was very impressed with Harvey against the `happy ' bays, he is a big unit and moves very smoothly.

He took a very strong mark just outside the 50 in the first qtr, and just went back and tonked it straight over the umpire's hat.
He spent longer periods of time than probably expected in ruck, due to Renouf's ankle injury, so I will be very interested to see how he goes, with hopefully more time up forward, against westies on saturday.

The sub rule could benefit Harvey in his first couple of years as we introduce him to AFL football. It'd probably be easier for him to go his hardest for 2 and a half quarters at AFL level and then get subbed off than it would be for him to try to run out 4 quarters.

Shaw IMO doesn't look like an eventual AFL player. Harvey on the other hand is a brute. I really like him - surprisingly good skills too. Needs 3 years under Burgo - heard he was running 13-14 minutes for his 3km out at North - when he didn't have glandular fever. That's barely amateur league fitness levels.

Very impressed with him though, will take time but he's my favourite from last years draft at this stage.

That's the sort of time I was running about 10 kilograms and six months ago ;) Mind you I am 48, not 18.

what are the chances we will see him in power colours this year and how many games will he play next year?

Would take an extraordinary injury run to see him play this year. He is showing promise but nowhere near ready for AFL.

Next year, who knows, depends on how much he builds up his tank and adds muscle in the off-season. He's our best chance for a gorilla or orangutan key forward from our current squad.

what are the chances we will see him (Harvey) in Power colours this year and how many games will he play next year?
No hurry here, seems to be developing well.
Would take an extraordinary injury run to see him play this year. He is showing promise but nowhere near ready for AFL ....
Agreed.

I notice a negative comments re Mason Shaw on this thread. What are the knocks on him? He was a very promising jnr from memory and has been out injured all year, only playing the one game. I thought in 2013 he was progressing okay? I see him and Harvey as fulfilling similar roles at AFL level, even though they seem completely different in strengths. What would you say are the reasons that Harvey is a better prospect at this stage?

I notice a negative comments re Mason Shaw on this thread. What are the knocks on him? ....
None at this stage, no reasons to expect any after one game. I did not see that game, was on the same afternoon as the Hawks game.
.... What would you say are the reasons that Harvey is a better prospect at this stage?
Harvey has played every Reserves game and is doing OK already. Timing is everything in life.

it was good to see that Shaw kicked 6 goals against wwt .. it is good to see that Harvey kick another long goal. he has a hammer type kick which we need in the Power (we just need to get his fitness up) ... it is also good to see him play ruck for the Magpies.

I wonder if we can play 4 talls in the forward line in the future ???

it was good to see that Shaw kicked 6 goals against wwt .. it is good to see that Harvey kick another long goal. he has a hammer type kick which we need in the Power (we just need to get his fitness up) ... it is also good to see him play ruck for the Magpies.

I wonder if we can play 4 talls in the forward line in the future ???

I can't see it working structurally

WCE have gone tall and it seems to have failed miserably

I can't see it (4 talls) working structurally

WCE have gone tall and it seems to have failed miserably
My bat-computer analysis is that this simply because they keep missing their shots. Tall, short, medium has not been the problem.

Can't believe this thread hasn't been touched since June, 2014. Harvey has been in pretty good form for the Maggies this year and while he may not be AFL ready in 2015 I can't see him missing out in 2016. Maybe only as an injury replacement but Schulz will be 31 and with what his body has gone through he may not be up to a full season. Although SANFL can be misleading Harvey was taking those marks in the first half in packs and was keeping strong players away from the ball. Being able to prevent other players spoiling is a skill a lot of players seem to have lost. And the fact that he would be better to use in ruck than Westhoff with his stronger body is another plus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back