Past #32: Mason Wood - 65 NM games/76 NM goals - delisted end '20 - SSP selection for STK '21 - GL Mase

Remove this Banner Ad

shinboner spiggs

Premiership Player
Aug 19, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Jazz, West Indies
Decision making is slightly off at this stage but with more game time this will improve, which is handy!

Wouldn't mind seeing rest up forward to develop him as someone who can capably pinch hit up there, looking at fyfe, you can sense fear in an opposition defender when he rests up forward, would love to see us develop into a Fyfe like player. Just needs to stick his defensive game a bit more but weve had a good start here.

isnt it amazing when you can just watch a player in his first few games and think, 'this kid can play'

Funnily enough, while Sugar struggled to have an impact in his limited time on ground, that one delivery he made into the forward 50 where he turned, lowered his eyes, and drilled the pill to the forward lace out 20 metres away said the same to me.

Loving Mason's work and I can see a heap of upside to come.

Bren

Premium Platinum
Apr 16, 2005
Arden Street Oval
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
NYY
I actually think he will be the future captain of the club... He has a presence in the field, once he hits 69+ games he will be amazingly good!

Sent from my iPhone using two cups and a long piece of string

benbanjo

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I actually think he will be the future captain of the club... He has a presence in the field, once he hits 69+ games he will be amazingly good!

Sent from my iPhone using two cups and a long piece of string
He and Browny can hold us in good stead moving forward

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He is playing the Sam Gibson role and doing it much better.

I'd like to see him to spend some time up forward though.

I'd love some clarity on this by people watching his games at the ground.

I've suggested a few times that he might eventually be an upgrade on Gibbo, given his endurance and the fact he has been groomed as a wingman. He has some obvious upside with his height and skills, even if he might not be quite as good at the gut running and potentially lacks the ability to read the play as well - time will tell on those last two things, but it looks pretty promising to me so far.

It's so hard to tell these things from watching on the TV, but has anyone noticed whether he has actually been playing the same, or similar role, as Gibson?

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM
I'd love some clarity on this by people watching his games at the ground.

I've suggested a few times that he might eventually be an upgrade on Gibbo, given his endurance and the fact he has been groomed as a wingman. He has some obvious upside with his height and skills, even if he might not be quite as good at the gut running and potentially lacks the ability to read the play as well - time will tell on those last two things, but it looks pretty promising to me so far.

It's so hard to tell these things from watching on the TV, but has anyone noticed whether he has actually been playing the same, or similar role, as Gibson?

He is playing from 50m arc to 50m arc.

The Big H

Club Legend
Aug 31, 2004
Launnie
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Watching him live he plays the linking wingman type role atm. Big enough, with a great motor and skills to become the "Nat Fyfe" type we lack- With the Fyfe type of ability to go forward and kick 3 in a game.

Donkey Chop

Cancelled
Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Watching him live he plays the linking wingman type role atm. Big enough, with a great motor and skills to become the "Nat Fyfe" type we lack- With the Fyfe type of ability to go forward and kick 3 in a game.

The thing is with Fyfe is he is the complete package. Tough as they come and not a player in the leauge would work harder then him on the inside, just keeps cracking in with repeat efforts till he wins the ball or holds it up, rarely beaten. Then he runs hard to provide an option up forward and can take a contested grab like a key forward. Unlike Wood he is an average kick. Tbh I don't see Fyfe in him at all. The closest thing we have to Fyfe can't get on the park, Garner.
I see Wood as more of a Watts type but hopefully better of course.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Deddy

Sheezel Lover
Mar 4, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Australian Boomers
Surely he has played more than 6 games, looks like he belongs.

benbanjo

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The thing is with Fyfe is he is the complete package. Tough as they come and not a player in the leauge would work harder then him on the inside, just keeps cracking in with repeat efforts till he wins the ball or holds it up, rarely beaten. Then he runs hard to provide an option up forward and can take a contested grab like a key forward. Unlike Wood he is an average kick. Tbh I don't see Fyfe in him at all. The closest thing we have to Fyfe can't get on the park, Garner.
Well who knows what Mason Wood would be like if he played for Melbourne, its a bit strange that just about all of their draft picks have turned out very ordinary....

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Good post. The only similarities he has with Fyfe is his height and marking.

Moti

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
One of the only recent Roos I can remember that comes in and just belongs at the level without question. Miles off his potential at the moment but he has been a seamless addition. Could end up anything as he has been playing a role largely foreign to him in the VFL or junior days.

He has more in common with Gunston than Fyfe.

2. Mason Wood was an impressive performer for the Tigers, putting his hand up for a senior recall.

“He played forward a little bit more than he has been for Werribee during the year,” Dyer said.

“He just looked like an AFL footballer playing in the VFL.

“He was really strong in the air and took a number of contested marks working up really high.

“In terms of working on the things he’s needed to since he’s gone out of the side, he’s been tracking really well.”

Mar 23, 2001
Forever Death riding *
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wildcats/Pacers/Chelsea/Scorchers
I'm sure it's been mentioned here before but it seems his biggest issue is defensive pressure. Apart from that he has all the tools.
He's got the offensive talent in spades, defence isn't as hard to teach nowadays with zoning so he shouldn't take long with that. Can't wait for him to be ripping it up in the ones!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back