Past #32: Mason Wood - 65 NM games/76 NM goals - delisted end '20 - SSP selection for STK '21 - GL Mase

Remove this Banner Ad

Am I the only one who would love a full copy of the intra club. Love to see the boys in action. Gagging for footage.

We will be uploading some more clips throughout the week - Clarke, Cunnington, Harvey clips still to come, as well as some Mitch Hibberd clips in his On The Rise feature later today.

Not a bad idea.

Absolutely, especially for us interstaters! The video access we get nowadays is stunning compared to a few short years ago but Imaging having video access to Syd Barker night and other club events as part of your membership! I often lament not seeing the big speeches we hear about over the years from those fortunate enough to attend.

We have a great media and social media team, that always try their hardest to please us often fussy supporters. Mason Wood looks the goods, needs to play at deep/half forward the entire pre-season. Black and Wood are fighting for Waite's spot.

We should be able to log in with our membership details to view more footage.

Love the idea :)

We are a little restricted though given agreement between AFL and Telstra - all video must be posted through the Bigpond player, so limiting access with logins etc. is a bit out of the realms at the moment.

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2016-02-22/wood-work-not-done

He’s coming off a four-goal haul, but Mason Wood isn’t getting too carried away.

“I’ll take a little bit of confidence out of it, knowing it’s not AFL standard footy just yet,” he said following North’s first NAB Cup win over St Kilda on Saturday.

“It’s not bad playing good but it’s NAB Cup and you can only take what you can from the game. We know it’s a big step away from round one and that’s what I’m trying to build for.”

The 22-year old forward said he enjoyed playing alongside Drew Petrie and Jarrad Waite, and used the opportunity to learn as much as he could from them.

“Drewy plays a little bit differently but Waitey, to me, plays a similar role and hits up really well. Just his work rate and the stuff he does without the ball in his hand is something I can really model my game on,” Wood said.

“We moved really well as a forward group and tried to bring some intensity in the forward half. I played a little bit smaller at times which helps and we provided some good targets up front.”

With eight AFL games under his belt, Wood knows 2016 will provide more opportunities even though he’ll have to get ahead of Ben Brown and Aaron Black for a spot in the best 22.

“I think I’ve done the work ... I just wanted to get a full pre-season in and I’ve done that and hopefully I can reap the benefits of that this year.”

wouldn't be against him playing in the same forward line as Waite, Brown and Petrie. Have Wood take the last bench spot.

When Brown takes the centre bounces and Goldy is resting Wood goes forward and runs his gut out up and down the ground. Run his opponent ragged for 3-4 minute bursts. All the other forwards benefit from having at least one cooked backman. The good thing is is that Wood knows where to run and how to be dangerous.

Also wouldn't be against him taking Thomas's spot in the side. Makes our forward line have significantly more workrate and flexibility. Anderson/Garner to provide all the pressure.

There isn't a backline in the league that would be able to cope with those 4 talls. The good thing is Wood and waite are mobile enough to not make us look sluggish up forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An amazing game by Mason. Huge.

Makes you wonder though why a bloke like Garner is getting a gig in front of him when he has never come near a performance like that. It's all about balance and Garns gets the nod because of his workrate defensively. I would love for Mason to add that to his game because his offensive game is a long way ahead of Garner.

I'm on record of doubting his ability to make it at AFL level as he aint a key and he doesn't have a well rounded enough game to play as a flanker. I hope to * i get served a * off slice of humble pie.

Where's the love for this guy?
1. Needs to be more well-rounded, re defensive side of his game.
2. Needs to grab his chances when he gets them, whereas he has been underwhelming when promoted.
3. Selection issues - there are only 22 spots and our 'triple towers' are a given.

The good news is he's ahead of Aaron Black in the queue to be promoted.

Hell of a game going off the stats, with 3 goals to boot. He keeps this up for a month and he cant be ignored...

Was he on the ball or wing? Rediculous stat line if played in the f50 all game...

1. Needs to be more well-rounded, re defensive side of his game.
2. Needs to grab his chances when he gets them, whereas he has been underwhelming when promoted.
3. Selection issues - there are only 22 spots and our 'triple towers' are a given.

The good news is he's ahead of Aaron Black in the queue to be promoted.

thats fine saying that, but he is ahead of Garner in my book. Garner is great defensively but goes missing, Garner doesn't have the fitness to roam up the ground either so if Wood is struggling to get into the game he is able to play wing. If Garner doesn't perform today i would be swapping them around however Brad loves Garner so i can't see that happening.

That is a stunning game at any level. I'm a bit like Btron though at least insofar as I'm not sure where he will fit in the AFL. Possibly we could play him deep post Petrie / Waite and structure with a taller CHF line?

Will get his chance.....but needs to produce when he does.

We all have high-hopes for Wood, Daw, Mullett, Dumont to name 4.

But glimpses at senior level need to be taken. Grab 'em....get a rising star nomination, kick 3 goals, have 24 possies, give off 2, lay 7 tackles.
Otherwise the guys in the seniors will stay ahead of you and the younger ones behind you will pass you.

Well, he is norths future - we gotta put games into the lad.

Right now we are going for broke with playing so many old fellas in a tilt for the flag (and have done for the last 2 years).

Of course the problem is, we WILL be broken - with a miserable life at the bottom of the ladder if we don't give the kids some experience.

They keep talking about how we have been recruiting all our first picks and not sacrificing our future, but in reality we are. Next year we will have to play a whole bunch of them, so we need to keep rotating them through now.

Wood needs to play, sure he has had some bad games, but I really think his contested footy is excellent and can really work it inside for a big man. His tank means that he should be one of the guys rotating into the midfield when they need a rest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back