Traded #32: Travis Colyer - traded to Freo for future 4th rounder

Remove this Banner Ad

I would be one of his biggest fans, but boy he really hasnt stepped up has he? Its a real shame, especially seeing Zerrett's brief debut who already looked streets ahead.

Maybe Colyer can crack it as a super sub? Other than that I dont know what we should do with him.. :(

I wouldn't have any of those 8 ahead of Colyer.

A refreshing change for you and I to disagree on something.. but seriously.. none of them?

You would put games into Colyer ahead of:
NOB
Ashby
Kommer
Z Merrett

These I can kind of understand...
E Kav
Edwards
Aylett
Fantasia

A refreshing change for you and I to disagree on something.. but seriously.. none of them?

You would put games into Colyer ahead of:
NOB
Ashby
Kommer
Z Merrett

These I can kind of understand...
E Kav
Edwards
Aylett
Fantasia
Yep, all 8 of them.

Colyer has work ethic though

Well he needs to... to chase down the ball he turns over and try and pick up cheap kicks running ahead of play cause he can't win his own ball..

Gets trounced in 1-1 contests.. absolutely solidly beaten every time.

Watch the tape and then we can talk.

Yep, all 8 of them.
Oh brother.

Z Merrett has shown more talent in 1 quarter of football than Colyer...

Either way it doesn't matter... Colyer literally needs us to get 4-5 injuries to get an opportunity and let's hope that doesn't happen too often.

I would have the following ahead of Colyer in terms of who I would 'persist' with before him:
NOB, Ashby, Edwards, Z Merrett, E Kav, Kommer, Aylett, Fantasia (8).

So, imho, Colyer currently sits in the bottom ten in our list and probably 9th in line for a senior call up... and I wouldn't call anyone in that group of 8 any more, or less, vanilla than Colyer.

I'm not sure how Fantasia for instance is ahead of Colyer. Kommer is most definitely more vanilla in that he doesn't have any real weapons.

My point is that if he sorts out his kicking, his pace and endurance are elite. Top 10% sort of stuff. That's a weapon. I'm not sure too many of your list there are top 10% in any sort of attribute. Nobby is for endurance, Aylett could be for pace, Merrett and Kavanagh are natural footballers rather than athletic prospects, so it's a different sort of discussion there.

Oh brother.

Z Merrett has shown more talent in 1 quarter of football than Colyer...

Either way it doesn't matter... Colyer literally needs us to get 4-5 injuries to get an opportunity and let's hope that doesn't happen too often.

The 1 quarter thing is the key point for me. Can Zach run out a game? I don't know the answer, but the coaches don't seem to want to give him a chance which would suggest he probably can't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He still has a contract for next season doesn't he? Remember West Coast wanted him but he re-signed for 2 years.

If we can trade him he is gone.

He still has a contract for next season doesn't he? Remember West Coast wanted him but he re-signed for 2 years.

If we can trade him he is gone.

Refresh my memory.

The 1 quarter thing is the key point for me. Can Zach run out a game? I don't know the answer, but the coaches don't seem to want to give him a chance which would suggest he probably can't.
Yes, but you were talking about players you would 'persist' with.. I just wouldn't keep persisting with Colyer.. he hasn't improved his disposal by one iota in all his time at the club.

I, for one, do not want to lose a premiership because Colyer misses a simple kick deep into the last quarter.....!!

I'm cool with a difference of opinion though... time will tell if Colyer gets another game.

Yes, but you were talking about players you would 'persist' with.. I just wouldn't keep persisting with Colyer.. he hasn't improved his disposal by one iota in all his time at the club.

I, for one, do not want to lose a premiership because Colyer misses a simple kick deep into the last quarter.....!!

I'm cool with a difference of opinion though... time will tell if Colyer gets another game.

I probably wouldn't be picking him in a final at the moment, but he has the potential to be a real contributor, so he's worth persisting with in the right parts of the season (we have a pretty great 9 week run either side of the bye, starting with St Kilda this week. Collingwood, Sydney (H) and Richmond about as hard as it gets) to see if he can get to that level, or whether we draw a line through his name permanently. Having depth in the 5 year, 40 game sort of range is something we should be aspiring to, if we can get the right guys.

His fitness is clearly excellent, his pace is an obvious strength. If he can neutralise his weaknesses, that means he can use his strengths to advantage.

I'd rather persist with someone like Colyer who has some obvious weapons than with a vanilla player who isn't particularly bad at anything, but isn't particularly good at anything either.
Yeah I see where you're coming from, and if still was still 2011-12 I'd agree with you, but by now you'd think if he hasnt worked out these issues then i cant see him ever working them out, not writing him off completely, especially since hes gunna be around till the end of next year probably.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back