Traded #32: Travis Colyer - traded to Freo for future 4th rounder

Remove this Banner Ad

We need a good news story this year and I insincerely hope it's trav. What a little ripper.

Backed up last weeks game against Adelaide. Honestly in the space of 2 games has put himself almost into the best 22. I think he's beginning to understand just what is required of him for him to fit into the team at AFL level. His run and carry is really influential and those goals were the icing on the cake. Does still have his weaknesses though - with his height he is a liability in the air defensively so needs to hurt the opposition.

Needs to learn (like many fast players) to slow DOWN for 2-3 steps before the shot on goal..

If he can get his disposal and kicking right.. he could be anything.. the problem is whether he can actually do those things...

Pace is electric and for mine he stays in the side.. if only to provide some running bounces and true line breaking ability.

He could become such an important player for us. Brad Hill is an example of a guy who while not the most talented, offers so much because of his pace.

Managed to win his own ball - Got some ripper balls in contested situations - His kicking was very solid - His kicking is nowhere near as bad as most believe.

with his height he is a liability in the air defensively so needs to hurt the opposition.

I thought his marking was a strength last night :\

Has to be played in every game this year regardless of form. Needs to be given the opportunity to settle and find the pace and his niche at this level. Playing really well at the moment. If he can start averging 20-22 touches a week then we've found a really good player.

Has enough tools. We need to persist for another 40 games and he'll be a pretty good AFL player.

Thought his interview on SEN last night was telling.

Asked about his disposal improvement his response was that his decision making had improved. Then he went on to talk about the expectations of him in relation to defensive pressure and contested possession.

Think that we've finally seen it in the last few game. He can be a player.

Last edited:
Would have brought the house down if he'd nailed that one in the last.

Two weeks in a row he's been in our best half dozen. Pretty bloody good effort given the step-up from VFL level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought his interview on SEN last night was telling.

Asked about his disposal improvement his response was that his decision making had improved. Then he went on to talk about the expectations of him in relation to defensive pressure and contested possession.

Think that we've finally seen it in the last few game. He can be a player.
I thought the interview gave great insight into what he is trying to achieve, it really convinced me that he is working hard a don the right track.
Good luck to him!

Has to be played in every game this year regardless of form. Needs to be given the opportunity to settle and find the pace and his niche at this level. Playing really well at the moment. If he can start averging 20-22 touches a week then we've found a really good player.

Has enough tools. We need to persist for another 40 games and he'll be a pretty good AFL player.

i agree 100%

he needs to play ever game this year (only be dropped if he is lazy/doesn't care). There is no way guys like him can be given a chance to improve and learn if they only are allowed to play 1 or 2 games a year then dropped immediately after 1 poor game.

I am convinced that he has enough talent to be be a important contribute to the bombers in the future. The guy needs experience in the afl now to learn and develop. Really impressed with him. Wish he kicked that goal would of been contender for goal of the year.

He's a really, really smart player. I was watching him pretty closely from behind the goals on level 3, and he's got a real knack for finding space in dangerous pockets, then his first instinct is to take the ball in-board, which is something which really complements our counter-attacking game.

Has used the ball well in both his games so far as well.

He's a really, really smart player. I was watching him pretty closely from behind the goals on level 3, and he's got a real knack for finding space in dangerous pockets, then his first instinct is to take the ball in-board, which is something which really complements our counter-attacking game.

Has used the ball well in both his games so far as well.

It was only ever a decision making/confidence thing.

He sprays the ball because he always tries to kick daisy cutters. When he takes the pace off the ball he is fine. When he has the time and space to stab it he is a pretty darn good kick.

3.2 is also an excellent return in two games from the highest forward. Most of those 6th forwards average 1 a game at best, with Matt White being the notable exception and also the benchmark of the position.

3.3 & 4 goal assists in his 3 games this year. Must be given the opportunity to play the season out.

Spoke well in the press conference

It looks like he is playing with a clear mind now as well. He is starting to work hard without the ball which is a massive plus and hopefully he can continue developing this side of his game.

When he does get the ball I am loving that his first instinct seems to be to break into space which is allowing for the game to open up in front of him. I think this is really helping with his decision making as he knows very few can go with him so it buys him time to steady down and make that kick, something that has lacked in his game in the past.

I'm wrapped for the kid and hope his form continues and he can see out the year. He has really brought some spark to the team.

Meh. That's a lot of games to be gifting a player if he turns to s**t again. To my mind he has bought the next two/three games with what he contributed so far. If he is complete s**t for the next two/three weeks then i don't see a reason to persist week in week out.
If this isn't a flash in the pan, and he has lifted to the AFL level long term, then we really have done well this year. We can add his name to go along with both Merretts, Gleeson, Ashby, JD and Ambrose. That really is the beginning of a massive shift for our best 22 and supplies the depth for a serious crack at it next year.
But my fingers are still crossed for this year... I can't shake the feeling that we are just so close to stepping up to the next level. If we can just pull that transition off in the next few weeks then we have the potential to go deep into the finals series. In football, like in anything really, you need be ready to seize the moment when you can. Next year we might be decimated by injuries and poor form, so now is the time to blow the ******* lid off and see what happens!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back