Traded #32: Travis Colyer - traded to Freo for future 4th rounder

Remove this Banner Ad

His main weakness is his strength. Very poor kicking when at full pace. Needs to learn to steady. His general field kicking is fine. He is our missing link. Hopefully grows in confidence because we need his speed.

Has been enormous the last 3 weeks. Sometimes you just need somebody with an elite trait and he certainly is very ******* quick and we were missing that.

Has been enormous the last 3 weeks. Sometimes you just need somebody with an elite trait and he certainly is very ******* quick and we were missing that.
not sure if you'd put him in the quickest over 100m in the league, but his burst speed to cover 20 to 30 meters he would have to be up there

Just such a smart footballer. If you get a chance to watch him closely at the ground, do it. Just knows where and when to run, and is Stanton-esque in his ability to provide a lead when no one else will.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just such a smart footballer. If you get a chance to watch him closely at the ground, do it. Just knows where and when to run, and is Stanton-esque in his ability to provide a lead when no one else will.
I like the sound of that more than anything else that could be said about him. It speaks of longevity in the best 22 rather than cameo roles. He is the icing on the cake in this team, and with our forward line looking more dangerous the confidence we derive from this game might mean we have taken the step up that we have been waiting for. I like our form from the last three weeks... Things are certainly building.

I like the sound of that more than anything else that could be said about him. It speaks of longevity in the best 22 rather than cameo roles. He is the icing on the cake in this team, and with our forward line looking more dangerous the confidence we derive from this game might mean we have taken the step up that we have been waiting for. I like our form from the last three weeks... Things are certainly building.

Our lack of legspeed is a major flaw in the team. We covered it last year with ridiculous ball movement, but we need more strings to our bow. Trav is a vital part of that, and I think we need to keep trying to work that pace into the side as we build. I'm massive wraps for Dalgleish, Edwards obviously has some sort of quality to justify our targeting him. BrunoV - is Rayner quick by football standards, or just a Stanton/Cornes style runner? These are the guys who we need to start earning places in the team in order to continue to improve

Our lack of legspeed is a major flaw in the team. We covered it last year with ridiculous ball movement, but we need more strings to our bow. Trav is a vital part of that, and I think we need to keep trying to work that pace into the side as we build. I'm massive wraps for Dalgleish, Edwards obviously has some sort of quality to justify our targeting him. BrunoV - is Rayner quick by football standards, or just a Stanton/Cornes style runner? These are the guys who we need to start earning places in the team in order to continue to improve
From the 4-5 times I've seen him live and on TV, he's quick. Wouldn't be Colyer pace, but faster than, say, Leroy Jetta

Brad Hill movement. Top line pace not amazing but runs at a pace and for a length of time that few can.

Has to be played in every game this year regardless of form. Needs to be given the opportunity to settle and find the pace and his niche at this level. Playing really well at the moment. If he can start averging 20-22 touches a week then we've found a really good player.

Has enough tools. We need to persist for another 40 games and he'll be a pretty good AFL player.

I agree with this.
So many players struggle to adjust at the top level & to find just what they can & can't do. They need a bit of faith put in them to give them time to get there. Think Myers, Hooker, even Baggers, Hocking.

We aren't going to win it all this year. I think it is worth the investment to sink games into the likes of Colyer & Kav. To get them to where we think they can be. It might take them 40 games to get there, and if so, we need to put in the investment by getting them to those 40 or so games.

I agree with this.
So many players struggle to adjust at the top level & to find just what they can & can't do. They need a bit of faith put in them to give them time to get there. Think Myers, Hooker, even Baggers, Hocking.

We aren't going to win it all this year. I think it is worth the investment to sink games into the likes of Colyer & Kav. To get them to where we think they can be. It might take them 40 games to get there, and if so, we need to put in the investment by getting them to those 40 or so games.
Well i posted some doubt about this concept last week and i suggested that he had earned maybe 2/3 weeks at that point but nothing more. Having shown now that he can do it three weeks in a row i'm coming around to this idea. But i would give him 5 more games now and if he is s**t for 5 weeks in a row then back to the two's it is. Seems small danger of that now... I think he has found his feet and wont lose it for more than a week or two at a time from here on. So effectively that makes him best 22 going forward. The pressure for spots in this side just got that much harder!

Granted, our scores have been very low so the data is not as brilliant as on first sight, but still very impressive.

And dat metres gained. Yesssssss

Remove this Banner Ad

Back