#33 - Brodie Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Draft Pick #14 2010 - Brodie Smith - Post your thoughts here!

Does not get brought to the ground.

That said, I'm not going to say that I wasn't slightly disappointed we didn't take Atley. Golden opportunity. But I'll take Matt's word on it.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/smith-a-big-stage-performer/story-e6freckc-1225949054858

Good article on Brodie. This part fascinated me:

The good-natured ribbing in the gym resulted in Smith putting on seven kilograms to his wiry 77kg frame by the mid-point of this season. But a shoulder strain has since weakened the solid muscle-building Smith had under his belt.

For him to be able to put on 7kg in a season without even being at an AFL environment has got to be a good sign - put him in our weights rooms and he'll balloon up quick-smart!

Also interesting to read his family originated in Scotland. I can think of another former player of ours who has family roots in Scotland :D

I hope people don't get too worried about this guy, to be honest he's one of the best mids in the draft, and just take a step back and think about this. With Danger (the mad bull) and now Smith, both 188cm and absolutely monsters at the stoppages. I can't wait to see them lining up in the centre square for years to come and with the burst of speed, lace out paces (Well I can dream) to Tippett, Walker and SMACK.

No complaints from me - I was hoping all along we'd get Smith. :thumbsu:

IMO he'll have a long and good career with the club - he's made of the right stuff and has great character and attitude.

As for being a Port Power fan, so was Thommo, who in fact hated the Crows before being traded to us.

I'll be delighted if he turns out to be another Thommo.

Pumped we got Smith! Can't wait to see him lining up at the centre bounce with Danger, Sloane etc.

Very happy to have a SA boy as our first pick. One of the most boring draft days I can remember. Bring on the rookie draft:thumbsu:

I was jumping up and down in front of the TV when GC picked Tape over Atley. Then I fell to the floor.

Can't complain with a player of this quality though. I guess that was Rendell's trick this year. People thought Smith was too obvious a pick for him, maybe it became so obvious that it was a surprise.

Welcome Brodie!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Excellent player, have rated him at #8 overall on my list although I have Atley at #4 so if he was there I'd have considered him strongly. But having a local lad is a bonus with our first pick. No go home factor.

But as a footballer, his best asset is his pack work and as nicely summed by wall-e, his first and second step from the packs. Often wrong-foots opponents with sudden changes in direction enabling him to break away and has very good accelerating pace once he gets those first few steps in. Leans forward, and dashes away, powerful legs and can kick it 60-65m on the run. Also sharp middle distance passing though whilst he can boot it a long way, his longer range passing can miss targets, he gets a little excited and hoofs is long. But that can be fixed. I've seen him run down players from behind on many occasions, he's no mug defensively although not his greatest asset. Leadership potential also, good character and a good get at #14. Really pleased, he'll be a beauty for 10+ years I hope.

Nice high loopy kick on him.. If you notice on his highlight reel he only hits his target 3 times and they were still pretty average kicks. Still... Welcome aboard Brodie

Has anyone read Rendells comments yet?
Apparently had Polec 1 and Smith 2. But hard to separate them with Heppell/Gaff.

Has anyone read Rendells comments yet?
Apparently had Polec 1 and Smith 2. But hard to separate them with Heppell/Gaff.

Is that not including the Gold Coast big 3?, otherwise hes talking crap.

Is that not including the Gold Coast big 3?, otherwise hes talking crap.

1 and 2 on his list of players who would possibly be available I'd say, since everyone rates Swallow the best (or second best after the kid the GC nabbed as a 17 year old), and Rendell personally rated Day as "could be better than Carey" on the radio a few weeks ago.

1 and 2 on his list of players who would possibly be available I'd say, since everyone rates Swallow the best (or second best after the kid the GC nabbed as a 17 year old), and Rendell personally rated Day as "could be better than Carey" on the radio a few weeks ago.

Exactly what I was thinking back on.

In which case he actually rated him somewhere between 5 to something?

Still not bad in whats supposed to be a superdraft.

Time will tell if hes right. If the quality of the draft is as high as its supposed to be, then getting it wrong would have massive consequences.

Exactly what I was thinking back on.

In which case he actually rated him somewhere between 5 to something?

Still not bad in whats supposed to be a superdraft.

Time will tell if hes right. If the quality of the draft is as high as its supposed to be, then getting it wrong would have massive consequences.

I was told they rated him top 6.
So must be top 3 GC then Polec then Smith so yeh 5th. But i think Gaff and Heppell were equal but smith was SA boy so valued higher.

I was told they rated him top 6.
So must be top 3 GC then Polec then Smith so yeh 5th. But i think Gaff and Heppell were equal but smith was SA boy so valued higher.

itd explain why we passed up Atley... sort of... im curious about the reasoning behind that

Nice high loopy kick on him.. If you notice on his highlight reel he only hits his target 3 times and they were still pretty average kicks. Still... Welcome aboard Brodie

You obviously didn't watch the his 2 SANFL finals highlights videos. He hardly missed a target in either match. Was brilliant against Glenelg (looked better than Polec in that game), and then was a bit quieter against Norwood when Polec starred in the first half (Smith was playing a shutdown role on Phillips which he did well).

Smith's kicking really reminds me of Ryan Griffin's. Kind of a sweeping action which gets him good distance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back