Past #33: Mitch Wilkins - officially delisted by North Melbourne (31/10/14)

Remove this Banner Ad

#33 Mitch Wilkins

WILKINS%20Mitchell.png

Summary
Barely sighted on mock drafts all around the country prior to the National Draft, it was quite a surprise to see the South Australian Wilkins packing his bags to play at Aegis Park, with his name arriving at pick 47. Supporters didn't know a hell of a lot about him, but he would soon gain attention with a string of terrific performances at VFL level for North Ballarat. In his second ever game of VFL football, Wilkins starred in 37 degree weather, collecting 20 possessions at 100% efficiency. In another match, he gathered 23 disposals from half back and was named the best player on the ground for the Roosters by development coach Josh Drummond. If he keeps these games coming in 2014, he will go from being the unknown draftee to the worthy debutant very soon.

Quote:An 18-year old could be forgiven for dreading playing his second ever game of VFL football in 37 degree weather, but North youngster Mitch Wilkins relished the conditions.

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2013-03-10/m...in-the-sun

Quote:Mitch Wilkins' performance in the VFL on Saturday was ‘his best game since coming to the club’, according to North development coach Josh Drummond.

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2013-05-26/w...-backed-in

260513_WilkinsLarge.jpg

050213_6.jpg

What's the deal with Mitch? Would he be in competition with Mcmahon and Hine for that lock-down small forward role or would be a rebounding back one day with any two or even three of Atley, Mcdonald and Mullett eventually becoming midfielders?

What's the deal with Mitch? Would he be in competition with Mcmahon and Hine for that lock-down small forward role or would be a rebounding back one day with any two or even three of Atley, Mcdonald and Mullett eventually becoming midfielders?
His strength lies in his kicking skills and reading of the play so I reckon he will be developed more of a rebounder than a lock down player, although he will need to be able to both adequately of course. Long way off it physically at this stage so I hope he gets to stack on some muscle and work on his endurance this preseason.

His strength lies in his kicking skills and reading of the play so I reckon he will be developed more of a rebounder than a lock down player, although he will need to be able to both adequately of course. Long way off it physically at this stage so I hope he gets to stack on some muscle and work on his endurance this preseason.

Absolutely, Mitch will be developed as either a rebounding halfback, wingman or outside mid. He's the type of player you want the ball in the hands of.
He is physically a little way off, but don't forget he entered last preseason on the back of a shoulder reconstruction. This year will be the first chance to really hit the weights hard and bulk up.

Absolutely, Mitch will be developed as either a rebounding halfback, wingman or outside mid. He's the type of player you want the ball in the hands of.
He is physically a little way off, but don't forget he entered last preseason on the back of a shoulder reconstruction. This year will be the first chance to really hit the weights hard and bulk up.

What's his speed like and his ball winning ability?

What's his speed like and his ball winning ability?

Well he's not slow. He is probably a bit above average in pace. Not quick but agile. His real ability is kicking strength - he weights the ball exceptionally well as well as his evasive ability. He as an excellent side step in traffic.
Once he gets a bit stronger and fitter you will start to see what he is really capable of.
2014 should be a year of making big steps forward. 2015 should be his breakout season.

Well he's not slow. He is probably a bit above average in pace. Not quick but agile. His real ability is kicking strength - he weights the ball exceptionally well as well as his evasive ability. He as an excellent side step in traffic.
Once he gets a bit stronger and fitter you will start to see what he is really capable of.
2014 should be a year of making big steps forward. 2015 should be his breakout season.

Thanks that sounds good.

We need a guy with skills to hit the risky kicks, it's what makes the dawks so good.

We have to many players won't or can't pull these kicks off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like Mitch shows some good poise, skill and lateral movement.

Looks a very clean footballer but with some tricks too - I mean at all 30 kilos of him he outpositioned the very large man named MAJAK DAW for a contested mark ffs?!

Predict he'll continue in the tradition of Corey Jones, Turtle and Choppy as previously unknown quanitites who become very sound North players.

Just having a few video clips to go on, he looks promising but question for those who have seen him in action...how likely is he to get a gig in the seniors in 2014?

I do like the drafting of Wilkins and Wood too for that matter as mid-late picks. Both look classy footballers, so if they can pass the rigors of getting up to AFL level, they would appear to have high ceilings. Having said that, they may not make the grade, but if they do, it is not going to be as plodders or soft runners with major weaknesses like many late picks.

Do like the reference to Corey Jones...loved watching him at his best. Would be happy to see Wilkins emulate him.

#33 Mitch Wilkins

WILKINS%20Mitch.png

Games: 0
Goals: 0

Summary:
After a promising first season on the North Melbourne list playing for North Ballarat in the VFL, Mitch Wilkins endured a quiet 2014 campaign. Who, I hear you ask? The 47th selection from the National Draft of 2012, was delisted after failing to suit up in the blue and white during his two years at the club. Thanks for your hard work, Mitch.

Mitch+Wilkins+North+Melbourne+Kangaroos+Training+-9P14wnhaDfl.jpg

060314_wilkins_ih.jpg

Mitch+Wilkins+p6J8e4a73c-m.jpg

Happy for him (serious).

No doubt the next pick was some premiership winger or something like that.
Lachie Hunter went 2 picks later. Bit of a dud draft overall though to be honest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back