Past Bradley Walsh

Remove this Banner Ad

Blues add five more to list

Bradley Walsh captained WA’s under-18s side this year and will bring a wealth of leadership experience to Carlton. He also captained the AIS-AFL Academy on the European tour, and led WA’s under-16s to a championship in 2012.

Rogers says leadership qualities are just one of Walsh’s many attributes.

“Brad is one of those kids who would go to war and die for you,” Rogers said.

“He’s a big-bodied midfielder with an exceptional work rate and will fit straight into our team.”

Blues add five more to list

2014 Western Australian Draft Prospects:

Bradley Walsh - 180cm - 80kg - Midfielder (Peel)
Strengths: Ball winning ability, clean hands.

Weaknesses: Outside game.

Strong inside midfielder with a mature body. Brilliant at reading the taps of the palms of rucks and getting first hands to the ball. He probably knows his way around a stoppage better than any other midfielder from WA at this stage and is always repositioning himself to ensure he gets in the best position to influence a contest.

His hands are clean and he can quickly distribute to those around him efficiently. His defensive side is pretty good as well both in terms of his stoppage work and his defensive running.

Biggest knock on him has to be his lack of an uncontested game. He's not the lead up type of player who quickly gets into space to create an option. Reminds me a little of Pattrick Cripps in that regard only he lacks his height.

AFL Draft Tracker:

Described as one of the most well-rounded players both on and off the field to come through the WA system. An inside midfielder with great leadership qualities who is also capable of playing across half-back. He is extremely hard at it with good speed and agility. He trained with Fremantle during the 2014 pre-season as part of the AIS-AFL academy program. Has played seven league matches with Peel Thunder, Fremantle's affiliate club in the WAFL.

No-frills skipper Walsh prepares to lead WA into battle

Walsh has a reputation as the best leader in the draft, having captained the AIS-AFL Academy on last month's European tour and the WA under-16s to a championship in 2012.

He said he had learnt to thrive in leadership roles after initially being surprised to be chosen.

"I guess it's just a role that I've attracted over time," he said.

"It comes quite easily to me. I find leading puts me in a better standing when it comes to games.

"I feel more comfortable knowing that the boys will always have my back and I'll always have theirs."

No-frills skipper Walsh prepares to lead WA into battle

Gee Dub's Phanton Draft:

48. Gold Coast – Brad Walsh (Peel Thunder)
Height: 180 cm
Weight: 79 kg
Player Comparison: Sam Mitchell

Walsh is a tough inside midfielder with great leadership qualities. The captain of the AIS Academy team leads by example and was the MVP for Western Australia in the Champs. He reads the ball really well off the hands of the ruckman and moves it on quickly. He is a good tackler and a really good clearance player. He has a good sidestep and can burst out of the pack to deliver the ball but doesn’t take the game on much. He accumulates the ball and can rack up big numbers at under 18 level and averaged 16 disposals in his three senior games last year. He is similar to Bampton in that he doesn’t have a lot of improvement left in him but he is a solid, AFL ready player.

Snoop Dogs Mock Rookie Draft:

31 Geelong..............Bradley Walsh
Sam Mitchell clone…..Prolific ball winner who excels around the contest and makes very good decisions and can also direct play from HB. Sounds like Sam? The major issue will be his pace and ability to get on the spread. I like him though seems a natural footballer who is going to have no trouble elevating his game to another level.

82 Carlton - Bradley Walsh
Bit of a fan of this kid. Reminds of Sam Mitchell and tested well. Good fit. Smart although Mick might think he is another midget.

BradleyWalshImage.jpg

Last edited:
Excitement peaks for Walsh

Walsh has drawn comparisons to West Coast's Brownlow medallist Matt Priddis for his ability to dive in and win the ball without fuss.

His ball-gathering ability gave him an average 29 disposals at colts level this year and he earned four senior games in a Peel side dominated by Fremantle-listed players.

Walsh's outstanding characteristic is his leadership. He captained WA in the under-16 and under-18 championships, led his side to the title in the former and took the reins of the AIS-AFL Academy side on its European tour this year.

Walsh said having to wait for the rookie draft would make him work harder to earn his first AFL game.

"Any opportunity to show what I've got, I'll take with both hands," he said.

Excitement peaks for Walsh

What a Brilliant effort to get Clem Smith and Brad Walsh, these two boys are both full of Class and quallity, still cant believe they got both, well done to the Blues recruiters they definately got it right :)

What a Brilliant effort to get Clem Smith and Brad Walsh, these two boys are both full of Class and quallity, still cant believe they got both, well done to the Blues recruiters they definately got it right :)

Draft Buster it sounds as though you're a real fan of Brad's.

For those of us who have not seen him play, what can you tell us?

Draft Buster it sounds as though you're a real fan of Brad's.

For those of us who have not seen him play, what can you tell us?

Hi Jeremias, yeah big fan of Brad Walsh, he is a tough clever inside mid who reads the tap extremely well and very good on both sides of his body, I guess very similar to Sam Mitchell, can also play half back or forward if required and can kick goals. He played league for Peel Thunder in the WAFL at 16yrs so has been playing against big bodies for a while now. Very good leader as he captained W.A 16’s & 18’s also captained the AIS side this year and was runner up in the AIS prestigious Ben Mitchell award.
Was Kevin Sheehan Medallist (Best in comp) when W.A won the 16’s title.
Also a big fan of Clem Smith but you probably have most the info on him
Hope this info helps mate

This was from the Peel Thunder Website;

THE AFL dream of Peel youngster Brad Walsh has been realised, after the midfielder was snared up by Carlton with pick 24 in the NAB AFL Rookie Draft on Wednesday.

The Rockingham product has been hailed as a ready-made leader by Carlton’s National Recruiting Manager Shane Rogers, after leading WA’s under-18s side this year at the National Championships, the AIS-AFL Academy on the European tour, and also WA’s under-16s to a championship in 2012.

Walsh said following the disappointment of missing out in last week’s National Draft, he had little idea Carlton would call out his name during the rookie draft.

“It’s been pretty nerve-wracking, the last few years have come down to this moment, so I was pretty devastated last week but stayed optimistic and it’s paid off in the end,” Walsh said.

“I had no idea Carlton were looking at me, I had an interview with them earlier this year but I hadn’t had much contact in the lead-up so it was a surprise.”

Rogers said leadership qualities were just one of Walsh’s many attributes.
“Brad is one of those kids who would go to war and die for you,” Rogers said.
“He’s a big-bodied midfielder with an exceptional work rate and will fit straight into our team.”
Walsh joins a list packed with some of the AFL’s most complete midfielders, headlined by dual Brownlow Medallist Chris Judd, skipper Marc Murphy and reigning John Nicholls Medallist Bryce Gibbs.

“I just want to go over there and absorb as much as I can [from those players], they are absolute superstars and I will probably be a little star-struck at the start, but I just want to learn as much as I can.”

Peel Football Manager Andrew McBean said Walsh’s entry into the AFL system was indicative of the club’s strong development system.

“He’s fairly diligent at training, goes about his business professionally and it shows what can happen when you put all your eggs in the one basket,” he said.

“We look at Brad as a template for those within the system, so they can see the rewards of hard work and professionalism.”

Already armed with impressive professionalism and work ethic courtesy of his time in the AIS-AFL Academy this year, Walsh is primed to hit his first AFL pre-season hard.

“I have to work and prove myself, so stay in the right mindset and work as hard as I can,” he said.

“The pathway and AIS programs have been a real help for me in order to help make the huge step up, so I think I have an understanding of what it’s going to be like.”

Walsh has already been welcomed into the club by fellow WA draftee Blaine Boekhorst, who is a good friend of Walsh’s stepbrother.

But aside from a quick round of golf with his Dad, Walsh has little time to collect his thoughts, as he was on the plane to Melbourne less than 24 hours after becoming a Blue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

seems like a real bargain. I noted that he has been compared to Mitchell, Pridis and Cripps.
So he is another extractor type. The photo above shows that physically he is strong enough. So what are his weaknesses?
I suspect but dont know
1 disposal
2 pace
3 agility?

Happy to say that Walsh has fit right in, amongst his bigger bodied team-mates.

He's been involved in all the main drills at training and looks every bit a part of the squad already. Great start from Brad. :thumbsu:

why was he taken as a rookie? and not picked up earlier?

this is one of those cases of too good to be true?

seems like a real bargain. I noted that he has been compared to Mitchell, Pridis and Cripps.
So he is another extractor type. The photo above shows that physically he is strong enough. So what are his weaknesses?
I suspect but dont know
1 disposal
2 pace
3 agility?

Last edited:
This was from the W.A. State Combine -
Others to impress were AIS-AFL Academy members Brad Walsh (Peel Thunder) and Ryan Lim (Claremont).
WA under-18 captain Walsh was the next best performer behind Yarran in the 20m sprint with 2.97sec., showed elite agility with a time of 7.88sec. and was top three in the beep test...definately a real bargain..Go the Mighty Blues!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back