Coach #34: Jamie Macmillan - delisted after 167 NM games/46 NM goals - returns as NMFC AFL Footy Ops boss (reporting to L.Kane)

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair enough, but I didn't even scratch the surface of what was actually said. I subsequently bumped into him at one of those functions and as quick as a whip, once I'd introduced myself (thinking he'd have forgotten), he asked me how my brother in NY was and how the kids were, remembering one of their names in the process. I've met hundreds of players over the years and those types are in the minority. Many are, exactly as you said, polite and well spoken as they're educated to do so with fans. He, Wellsy, Spitter, Arch etc are different (in my experience). It's obvious why club insiders respect them so much once you've engaged them, even when it's less obvious to outsiders.

Again we chatted for ages, had plenty of laughs, and it's been the same ever since.

Sammy Wright's another. Likewise Jack.

I've met players who are tossers. He's most certainly not one of them mate.
Which ones are the tossers?

But this captaincy future or otherwise, just ******* stop with that nonsense right now.

Ziebell - McDonald = next 15 years.

Yeah we don't want to go down the track of having modestly talented defenders captain our club to mediocrity. Leave that to clubs like Collingwood and Geelong. Nick Maxwell and Tom Harley set their premiership aspirations back decades, unlike say, Nathan Buckley and Gary Ablett snr. You always, ALWAYS choose your best player as captain.

Yeah we don't want to go down the track of having modestly talented defenders captain our club to mediocrity. Leave that to clubs like Collingwood and Geelong. Nick Maxwell and Tom Harley set their premiership aspirations back decades, unlike say, Nathan Buckley and Gary Ablett snr. You always, ALWAYS choose your best player as captain.
I always wondered why Carlton didn't give the captaincy to Fev. One of the biggest list management fails of all time.

Fair enough, but I didn't even scratch the surface of what was actually said. I subsequently bumped into him at one of those functions and as quick as a whip, once I'd introduced myself (thinking he'd have forgotten), he asked me how my brother in NY was and how the kids were, remembering one of their names in the process. I've met hundreds of players over the years and those types are in the minority. Many are, exactly as you said, polite and well spoken as they're educated to do so with fans. He, Wellsy, Spitter, Arch etc are different (in my experience). It's obvious why club insiders respect them so much once you've engaged them, even when it's less obvious to outsiders.

Again we chatted for ages, had plenty of laughs, and it's been the same ever since.

Sammy Wright's another. Likewise Jack.

I've met players who are tossers. He's most certainly not one of them mate.

I know everything you are saying is legit because I've met Wellsy and Arch too and they were almost embarrassed at how star struck I was. Two really genuine blokes who would chat to you for days if you could. I literally stopped arch in his tracks at half time of a game at AAMI stadium a few years ago when he had media commitments. He was more than happy to have a photo and quick chat, it made me admire him even more.

I honestly can't see how Jmac would be put into a tosser catergory. One who is though, is Corey McKernan. Met him last year and the bloke couldn't give two s**** about the current North side. I remember saying to him "North are getting close aren't they" and he responded with "haha they think they are"

To his credit he was ok to have a photo with me, however for someone who's been out of the game so long I was pretty disappointed with how stuck up he was...

I know everything you are saying is legit because I've met Wellsy and Arch too and they were almost embarrassed at how star struck I was. Two really genuine blokes who would chat to you for days if you could. I literally stopped arch in his tracks at half time of a game at AAMI stadium a few years ago when he had media commitments. He was more than happy to have a photo and quick chat, it made me admire him even more.

I honestly can't see how Jmac would be put into a tosser catergory. One who is though, is Corey McKernan. Met him last year and the bloke couldn't give two s**** about the current North side. I remember saying to him "North are getting close aren't they" and he responded with "haha they think they are"

To his credit he was ok to have a photo with me, however for someone who's been out of the game so long I was pretty disappointed with how stuck up he was...

Yeah nah

http://instagram.com/p/s_6LvmqSJV/

Wow now I'm confused. It was 2 weeks after this that I met him. Mind you it was at a bar and he was pretty hammered. I do remember him saying that quote though. Oh well I can forgive him now that I've seen that reaction.

It is the type of reaction you want to see from your past players.

Since when has Ziebell or McDonald been our best player?

Can't believe you wasted the bandwidth on what is clearly yor worst ever post on this board.

Luke Hodge says Hi.
Oh and so too does Michael Voss!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's probably true of most players. You can't necessarily tell much when they're in Best Behaviour mode.

FWIW, I'm fairly sure I saw him at the G on Boxing Day, but couldn't gather enough data to support or disprove FIGJAM claims. Unless you want to draw conclusions from the fact he appears to be a MCC member.
Yep he was there RobZombie , saw him myself in the mcc

100% and I'm pleasantly surprised, because my encounter left me feeling like he didn't care at all, but this confirms it was just a misperception!
A lot of people on this board judge past players too harshly in this regard. The one that bugs me the most is "oh no, Wayne Carey called us the Kangaroos and not North Melbourne".

I actually came here to post the same instagram link as above. I don't normally approach players in public because it is their own time, however I saw him at a bar once and after a few beers I decided to let McKernan know that I wore number 31 on my team because of him. He was more than happy to have a chat and cane across as a decent guy.

Last edited:
Wow now I'm confused. It was 2 weeks after this that I met him. Mind you it was at a bar and he was pretty hammered. I do remember him saying that quote though. Oh well I can forgive him now that I've seen that reaction.

McKernan was at the 07 EGM and the Dallas Brooks hall meeting.

If all out past players had his passion we would be set.

Maybe he just didn't like the look of you.

Think you may have him confused with another bloke... image.jpg

Think you may have him confused with another bloke... View attachment 101555

Haha he was there too. It was in Adelaide, with all the Adelaide boys.

Just want to clear up that I've already changed my opinion of him with what you've all said. I'm glad you've said it otherwise my misperception would have remained.

I hope I have the chance to meet him again!

In my experience.

McKernan - Passionate North Man.

Also odd floggish moment, particularly after a few - he can line up after me in that club.

He's North through and through, recently saying how much crap his mates are giving him after his brother was rookied by *, his most hated rival.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back