News Jarrad Redden returns to WWT Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

I met Jarrad when at Alberton Oval to order my new BiB guernsey earlier this month. He was very approachable, happy to have a photo with my girlfriend, and spoke in a very mature way about his approach to the season and where he fits in terms of the list. I reckon he still needs to bulk up more before being AFL-ready, as I saw Brogan shortly before I spoke with Jarrad and there is a noticable difference in size. He was also very comfortable with the fact that I had to ask him who he was before taking the photo! Top bloke, will follow him closely having now met him in person.

I'm looking for young Jarrad to have a big pre-season and really look to consolidate his footy in 20oneone.

He appeared to develop more confidence in his own ability late in the season with WWT. His marking improved as the year went on and for his size, I was very impressed with how agile he is.

I think Redden needs to better understand just how big he is and impose himself on a game like blokes who are 200cm+ should do. His goal should be to cement himself a spot in WWT's league side as no. 2 ruck behind Parry and show that he will be ready to lead the ruck post Brogan.

Another full (almost) season in the 2's would be unacceptable.

#34 JARRAD REDDEN

20 / 202 / 98

223778.jpg

SANFL Reserves Stats:
Games: 3
Disposals: 35
Disposal Efficiency: 77.1
Marks: 6
Hitouts: 74
Clearances: 4
Tackles: 1
Inside50: 2
Rebound50: 0
Goals: 3
Best Players:

SANFL Stats:
Games: 12
Disposals: 94
Disposal Efficiency: 85.9
Marks: 36
Hitouts: 180
Clearances: 13
Tackles: 11
Inside50: 8
Rebound50: 6
Goals: 3
Best Players: 0

Notes:
After missing nearly three months with a hamstring injury, Jarrad finished the year with his best season to date and an SANFL premiership medallion around his neck. He played 12 SANFL games for the season including all finals and impressed with his development as the year wore on.

His best game for the year came in Round 19 when he picked up 4 marks and 21 hitouts whilst also slotting through a goal. His form come SANFL finals time was consistent, proving to be a worthy backup to Craig Parry in the ruck for the Eagles. His Grand Final especially was very good, picking up 8 disposals and 15 hitouts whilst showing great attack at the football.

It is important that Jarrad develops into an AFL standard ruckman for the make up of our list. His development over the course of his three years on the list has been steady, and Jarrad should start pushing for AFL games in 2012.

ajw0fs.jpg

Previous History
2009 - N/A
2010 - N/A

Redden has set his sights on the #1 ruck spot. His form this pre-season suggests he's a genuine chance...

Link

Redden targets Sandilands

PORT Adelaide giant Jarrad Redden has turned up the heat on his teammates, declaring he's ready to be the club's No.1 ruckman.

With his sights set on Fremantle's Aaron Sandilands after conquering West Coast's Dean Cox on Saturday, Redden is determined to stay at the front of the queue after leap-frogging fellow Power ruckmen Matthew Lobbe and Brent Renouf.

Link

Big Red's looking better with each outing. There's a bit of Ladey about him - big laconic country lad with a bit of steel and on-field presence.

Ruck stocks rise after last Port hit-out
by: Jesper Fjeldstad in Encounter Bay
March 10, 2012 10:00PM
link

948847-jarrad-redden.jpg

EMERGING Power ruckman Jarrad Redden has thrown the selectors a curve ball with his performance in the win against Fremantle yesterday.

Redden, whose career has previously been on the brink of being snuffed out, played a manful first quarter suggesting he is mounting a case for a regular spot after a ruck performance that included fine tap work, unquestioned determination in his second efforts, good grabs and fine kicking.

link

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dom agrees with me. :D

link
Cassisi was also particularly glowing about ruckman Jarrad Redden, who was impressive against the Dockers.

"He's a natural footballer. He's got a lovely kick and roving to him reminds you of Brendon Lade, the way he just puts a nice weight on the footy to be able to run onto it," Cassisi said.
link

I love that he got a big of swagger on the weekend aswell,

Great to see a bit of confidence in the kid.

Redden, Lobbe and Renouf.

Pretty darn good Ruck division.

I thought his tap work in the 1st 1/4 was great. I loved the one bounce where he pushes Freeo and Port players out the way to get position. How a big man should work.

Big Red had some wraps by a few posters and now he appears to be tearing it up!

Redden in line for R1 debut! Well done Big Red!

Link

Redden Ready To (**sigh**) Ruck 'n' Roll

JR318x.jpg

AN INJURY in Friday night's clash with Melbourne is the only thing that can prevent young ruckman Jarrad Redden from lining up for Port Adelaide against St Kilda in round one.

Coach Matthew Primus has sung Redden's praises all pre-season and said the 21-year-old was ready to make his official debut.

"He's done enough, he's played enough, he's had a good enough pre-season and his form would say he's good enough," Primus said of Redden's possible round one selection.

Link

Originally posted by Macca19

24th #34 JARRAD REDDEN

24 Votes

248356.jpg

SANFL Stats:
Games: 5
Disposals: 45
Marks: 20
Goals: 2
Best Players: 1

VOTES:
BigFooty: 24 (24th)
Port: 2 (24th)
Toots: 16 (18th)
Rookie: 84 (5th)

AFL Stats:
Games: 9
Disposals: 103
Marks: 19
Contested Marks: 4
Clearances: 24
Tackles: 23
Inside50: 3
Rebound50: 5
Contested Possession: 57
Goals: 1
Goal Assists: 1
Best Players: 4

Notes:
Jarrad had a breakthrough season in 2012, making his AFL debut and playing 9 games at AFL level. Like every other ruckman on our list, Jarrad missed a number of games for the year through soreness and injury. Jarrad impressed with his ability to get hitouts to advantage and also in his attack on the ball at stoppages. Fitness is the key for Jarrad going forward. If he can improve his fitness base this year, we should see Jarrad become our number one ruckman before too long.

vew7s.jpg

Richardson is predicting a big improvement from Redden in 2013.

Link

Redden a breakout candidate: Richardson

252290-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

Port Adelaide senior assistant Alan Richardson likens the potential of young ruckman Jarrad Redden to that of cross-town big man Sam Jacobs and tips the 22-year-old to break out this season.

Jacobs was arguably the AFL's most improved player in 2012 and became one of the best ruckmen in the competition, narrowly missing All Australian selection.

At 205cm and 101kg, Richardson believes Redden has the physical attributes to enforce himself on contests in the AFL but that injury hasn't allowed him to develop the consistency needed at the highest level.

Link

Originally posted by Powerade 08

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/mor...-to-go-for-power/story-e6frf9jf-1226593520730

THE big kid has grown up.

518153-jarrad-redden.jpg

The big kid grows up - Port Adelaide ruckman Jarrad Redden with students from Loxton's St Alberts Catholic School

Port Adelaide ruckman Jarrad Redden - who was badly burned in a freak accident as a teenager - has shed four kilograms and trimmed his skinfold measurements by 11 in a dramatic off-season transformation.

He has declared himself in "definitely the best condition" of his five-year AFL career and noted after the NAB Cup clash against Melbourne in Renmark on Sunday that "I reckon it's the first game that I haven't cramped in"

Criticised for lacking fitness, the highly skilled Redden - who played all nine of his AFL games last year - has benefited from an almost faultless pre-season under the Power's new high-performance manager Darren Burgess.

Much of his puppy fat is gone - his weight has dropped from 106 to 102kg - and he is jumping higher and running faster.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/mor...-to-go-for-power/story-e6frf9jf-1226593520730

After a fairly promising first half to the season, Redden won't be making a return to football until 2014, which is a shame for him personally and to our finals chances.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2013-06-20/statement-jarrad-redden-hip-surgery
Port Adelaide ruckman Jarrad Redden has undergone season-ending surgery today on his right hip to alleviate a problem that has been persistent throughout the season.
http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2013-06-20/statement-jarrad-redden-hip-surgery

Redden was our best ruck in the first half of the season.

Lobbe grew with the challenge to become a stand out performer in the later half of the season.

Will we play two rucks next year and who will be our first ruck in 2014?

Well Lobbe will get injured in the pre-season and miss the first half of the year. Redden will get injured halfway through the year and miss the rest of the season. Seems like they are a perfect match for each other.

We work on both of their potential as forwards....the rotation policy will be interesting as well...maybe a 80 cap makes it easier play 2 rucks and lose nothing though the midfield.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back