Player Watch #34: Liam McBean

Will McBean be an AFL standard forward for Richmond ( 150 + games)

• No

• Yes

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

McBean needs to come into the team next year with Vickery & Riewoldt

Jack has a better engine now and could be used to run where ever he needs to

McBean needs to come into the team next year with Vickery & Riewoldt

Jack has a better engine now and could be used to run where ever he needs to

Hope he is at the club next year, has trade currency and with all the trades were linked to its certainly plausible that he is traded out, i for one hope not as i think he will be fantastic in years to come

I have my doubts whether he can make it at AFL level but you've got to be impressed by what he's achieved in his first 3 years in the system. He is obviously a ridiculously smart footballer with some elite qualities, I just hope he has the hunger to succeed at AFL level.

I see 2 things that make it hard for us to keep McBean around if he's not playing seniors
  • Our VFL team sucks, players want to be part of winning teams and McBean has probably reached a point in his development where he's not going to gain anything further from playing VFL. As dumb as it is, the only thing left for him to work on is playing down back for a few weeks to have a better understanding on what opposition defenders do to make their forward oppositions life harder, which might help him combat it as a forward
  • He lives with Daniher who plays seniors every week. While he probably wouldn't say it, I'm sure it stings that Daniher is getting games and he isn't. If someone offers him guaranteed senior time, why wouldn't he look at it? Club really needs to hope it's culture is right and we do play him when it's his turn or we will lose him

I see 2 things that make it hard for us to keep McBean around if he's not playing seniors
  • Our VFL team sucks, players want to be part of winning teams and McBean has probably reached a point in his development where he's not going to gain anything further from playing VFL. As dumb as it is, the only thing left for him to work on is playing down back for a few weeks to have a better understanding on what opposition defenders do to make their forward oppositions life harder, which might help him combat it as a forward
  • He lives with Daniher who plays seniors every week. While he probably wouldn't say it, I'm sure it stings that Daniher is getting games and he isn't. If someone offers him guaranteed senior time, why wouldn't he look at it? Club really needs to hope it's culture is right and we do play him when it's his turn or we will lose him
Agree he will want to see some light at the end of the tunnel but living with Danniher he must also be thinking thank goodness he doesn't have to play with the stench that is around Essendon and that therefore the "grass is not always greener" which must be a balancing factor.

I believe a forwardline containing McBean, Jack and Vickery would give us the best of both worlds. Jack plays more as a half forward using his creativity further up the ground and to give us cleaner F50 entries. Vickery would remain as our deep forward who can push up if need be.

McBean is a tough matchup as he is so good below his knees and yet can take a big mark on the lead too. He could easily take the role of a Lloyd is the forward half but with better marking capabilities. He is a great crumber and can bring the ball to ground.

I think we should at least try this option next year and give him more than two games before we decide that he is nothing more than a depth player. He is too talented to be left in the 2nds.

If he can't wait for his opportunity at the club he and his family barrack for, when the 1's are experiencing success, when he is clearly behind the others competing for a spot physically he probably can't be pleased and should move on!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going to be interesting in 2016 if we have JR, TV, Griff and McBean all playing good standard KPF. Then the Mac Truck coming on. One option I must admit I would like to see us try is Griff as a wing type player. Run all day and kick the ball a loooong way. Act as an extra tall defender, link man and forward. TV as the main target, and rucking a bit. Jack doing whatever he wants. McBean as tall/crumbing forward, also moving into the midfield. Give us a rotation through the hot spot of 4 talls. But at any time at least one is up the ground, often 2. Would be a strange set up though. IF it worked it would cause huge problems. Tall marking midfielders, defenders unable to pinpoint who is the target etc. Bit of a dream though.

If the Sub is canned next year, as it looks like it will be, then we can serioulsy play 5 talls, including Maric. Jack and Griff can play as very very high KPF, with Vick and McBean playing deeper, then have Lids, Dusty, Lennon and Titch rotating through anywhere in between them 4 doing what ever they want.

Such a potent forward line there.

Or have 4 on the field and 1 on the bench rotating non stop through the game.

Agree he will want to see some light at the end of the tunnel but living with Danniher he must also be thinking thank goodness he doesn't have to play with the stench that is around Essendon and that therefore the "grass is not always greener" which must be a balancing factor.
Add the fact he thinks Daniher has bucket o teeth!

What's going on?

I've got his Future Force Sig..

Playing a VFL practice match but when the VFL site doesn't have is playing until the 24th. Can anyone shed some light?

Why wasn't McBean given an opportunity during the NAB Cup? Did he play the first game and was completely underwhelming?

I really think McBean could be a star forward for us. He has a skill set that is very unusual. He actually reminds me strongly of Buddy - tall but not a powerful mark yet amazing below his knees and a excellent crumber. He is killing it in the VFL and in obviously a class above at that level so the only thing I can think of that is keeping him out of the side is better tall forwards in the side already and/or his lack of defensive pressure (?).

What is his story?

Why wasn't McBean given an opportunity during the NAB Cup? Did he play the first game and was completely underwhelming?

I really think McBean could be a star forward for us. He has a skill set that is very unusual. He actually reminds me strongly of Buddy - tall but not a powerful mark yet amazing below his knees and a excellent crumber. He is killing it in the VFL and in obviously a class above at that level so the only thing I can think of that is keeping him out of the side is better tall forwards in the side already and/or his lack of defensive pressure (?).

What is his story?
This has gone unanswered all preseason.
Does anyone know what's going on with the Bean?

This has gone unanswered all preseason.
Does anyone know what's going on with the Bean?
No idea, overheard him at the open training getting asked if he was going to play more AFL games this year and he didn't seem that happy while answering the question, to which his answer was along the lines of "I hope so," so maybe there's more to it.

Back