Player Watch #34: Liam McBean

Will McBean be an AFL standard forward for Richmond ( 150 + games)

• No

• Yes

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Congratulations Liam and welcome to Yellow & Black land!
Wishing you all the success for the future AND hopefully you're no Dean Putt!

He says models himself on Dean Cox - you got to like that.

I also love the Nat Fyfe comparisions although I'm not sure how true they are. Can anyone back this up with some facts or video?

Get thee to a gym Liam - and learn to love the pain.

A great long term project. We need to back our recruiting team. Should be ready for when big Ivan retires with the odd game thrown in before that. Could be fast tracked if we get injuries.

This probably means Wood and Stephensen don't get rookie listed.

Welcome to Tigerland mate.

:) sounds good, but i think we may end up with one of them still.

I think his run and carry is awesome for being that tall. better than what we discarded for sure.:D

welcome to tigerland Mr Bean..

lets face it, if he comes on and develops, we have a mobile ruckman in the mould of Cox, if the reports are on the money that he can play like a midfielder with his "clearance" work etc....I really dont understand all the negatives here...the kid has shown he can play and has nouse on how to use it....lets hark back to our previous attempts to develop a ruckman and where they were at in the beginning and moreso at the end...nowhere. ;)

Happy with this pick. No secret we need ruck depth and this guy might be the successor to Maric in 3-4 years time.

FJ (or the SEN bloke) reckons he needs to put on about 14kg to get to ideal AFL ruck weight which he might be able to do after a few seasons at the club. Very agile for a big man too (follows Vickery, Elton, Griffiths etc) which is good. A ruck who can play forward or back while resting - perfect.

I think we might rookie Stephenson or Wood for a year just to have some ready to go back ups but still happy to have him. Being a tiger fan helps also :thumbsu:

welcome to tigerland Mr Bean..

lets face it, if he comes on and develops, we have a mobile ruckman in the mould of Cox, if the reports are on the money that he can play like a midfielder with his "clearance" work etc....I really dont understand all the negatives here...the kid has shown he can play and has nouse on how to use it....lets hark back to our previous attempts to develop a ruckman and where they were at in the beginning and moreso at the end...nowhere. ;)
This is the kid your source was mentioning wasn't it? ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had it confirmed Liam and his family are all big tiger supporters! Happy with this pick will give it his all, looking forward to seeing how he will develop. Really keen now not to get one of wood or stephensen. Vickery, Maric, Derickx mcbean and griffiths all over or near 200cm lets get some of the players not drafted in the hope they can become a dylan grimes or brett o'hanlon.

Feel free to take this with a grain of salt of course - but some might find this post from a Bummers supporter making a a cameo on PRE, who seems to be in the know, interesting (I've bolded the most encouraging part):

Hey Guys,
Dons supporter here sorry, but thought I could add to the McBean hype
wink.gif

Seen a lot of Liam play over the years for abers and St Bernards, you guys could have something very special here. The comparison made earlier with Joe Daniher is an interesting one because they've played basically all their footy together and are best mates. Ability wise I honestly don't think there's as much difference between them as some think, Joe's developing slightly quicker, but they're both similar heights, quick for their size and good below their knee's. They've always been mentioned in the same breath at Bernards and Aberfeldie and worked in great partnership together so it will be interesting to see how both of their careers go
Obviously 'leesh' (McBean) will take some time but he's got an enormous amount
of upside and I'm happy he's gone to the Tiges, his dad Dave will be even happier!
Anyway thats me done, hope he has a great career for your boys.

....and his nickname was "Leesh" apparently....

Get this boy some carbs before he breaks in half. Time will only tell if a 2nd rounder was worth the punt.

I think the reason people are a little upset is because over the last few years our depth has been so poor that most fans have wanted to see 2nd round draftees come straight into the side and have an impact.

With our recent development and acquisitions, this is no longer needed,we actually have the capacity to draft players and let them develop.

He's probably rated as the 2nd best ruckman in the draft and if we didn't take him someone would have snapped him up shortly after, pick 32 could end up being a real steal.

It addresses a need and I'm really happy to see it, it's been ages since we actually developed our own ruckman.
Welcome mr mcbean.

I think the reason people are a little upset is because over the last few years our depth has been so poor that most fans have wanted to see 2nd round draftees come straight into the side and have an impact.

With our recent development and acquisitions, this is no longer needed,we actually have the capacity to draft players and let them develop.

He's probably rated as the 2nd best ruckman in the draft and if we didn't take him someone would have snapped him up shortly after, pick 32 could end up being a real steal.

It addresses a need and I'm really happy to see it, it's been ages since we actually developed our own ruckman.
Welcome mr mcbean.

I'm with you...:thumbsu:.... Footy Dept is finally starting to recruit for depth and long term needs...really like it...and can only make us a better side and club...

Welcome mr mcbean.

Underrated post right there.. :thumbsu:

The thing I look forward to the most is the young fella can be tutored & mentored by big Eevan. Just to be shown how to get the most out of yourself & put 100% in all of the time will be invaluable. Best of luck for the big string bean.

Back