Player Watch #34: Liam McBean

Will McBean be an AFL standard forward for Richmond ( 150 + games)

• No

• Yes

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Very Very happy with this Pick,

This kid could become anything and i mean anything , Once he puts on another 10-12kgs he will become our full FB/CHB that takes the monster FF or the resting ruckman and can also go foward if we need to throw him up foward.

My Ideal team would have a 200cm Backman that has the speed and agility that Dustin Fletcher has that can also Play 10-15% in the Ruck or go foward - in 3-4 years time we will have this in Liam McBean and at the time where Chaplin is starting to finish up. GREAT PICK TIGERS
With 1 Full time Ruckman + Vickery & McBean we will be a very very hard team to match up in the Ruck

Ben Griffiths says Hi.

That's pretty much what the club said about sending Griff into the backline.

I think the recruitment of McBeanstalk (My nickname for him) is to provide another rotating option with Griff.

Have one at CHF and one at CHB and if they are struggling, swap them. McBean also has the height to stop those bigger bodied ruckman who dominate us from the goalsquare (Hampson and Minson). But we could rotate them every quarter to confuse the opposition.

203/86kg is very undersized. At that height you'd expect at least 90kg+ 18 year old or not.

Ben McEvoy was 8 kgs heavier than McBean when Drafted, But Liam looks like he has the frame thats suited to putting weight on similar to McEvoy . Im confident that by 2015 he will be over 100kgs

Yeah interesting selection. Looks alright. Happy when he packs on 10-15kgs. Few clubs were after him so must offer something. Welcome to Tigerland

Very athletic for his size. I wouldn't call him lanky because he has a very good running game and it's quite rare to see that in a ruckman. A very make or break pick. I like him though. Just keep him at Coburg/Richmond 2nds for the next 4 years and when Maric retires, he'll be good.

like witts?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think he will be a good acquisition. Happy to go for a guy who is very competitive and plenty of potential for development with our 3rd pick

already better than Graham and Browne put together. Has speed and terrific skills for a big guy. Reminds me of a young Dean Cox. I think we have done very well with this pick. I think will be better than Vickery. Welcome String McBean. Can't wait to see him with 10-15kgs added on to his frame.

Hmmm. Looks like a tall kid who plays small, or something? Weird-ass kicking style. Wonder what they've got planned for the dude.

He says models himself on Dean Cox - you got to like that.

I also love the Nat Fyfe comparisions although I'm not sure how true they are. Can anyone back this up with some facts or video?

Get thee to a gym Liam - and learn to love the pain.

A great long term project. We need to back our recruiting team. Should be ready for when big Ivan retires with the odd game thrown in before that. Could be fast tracked if we get injuries.

This probably means Wood and Stephensen don't get rookie listed.

Welcome to Tigerland mate.

So people say we need to take risks and draft players with some "x-factor" and then when we do it, they shoot down the player (of not even a day) and the club. This is a prime example! We have surely looked at the new ruck rules and with the likely introduction of a cap on interchanges in future years, players like McBean will be vital as they can play a various range of positions. The way he runs and moves around the ground for his size is remarkable and will be handy to rest down back or up forward. I don't think we will be looking to get hm up to 110kg but more likely the 95kg mark so he maintains some of his agility and speed. Curios selection for mine and I can see why some posters are upset, as there was still plenty of quality available on the table but this is a good long-term, list management decision.

This kid put on 6 kgs this year from the start of the seaon, He has a body that can gain weight not like the westhoff's. By that Rate by the start of 2014 he should gain 10kgs in 18months and will be 95-96kgs PERFECT
Your boy Gunner. Hope he does you proud. Welcome to the club Liam. Hoping this kid can find a position. If he can be developed into a ruck he's going to be a tough match-up with his athleticism. Not sold on his toughness at the contest as a ruck though get Ivan stuck into him and anything could happen. Potential star if developed properly.

Your boy Gunner. Hope he does you proud. Welcome to the club Liam. Hoping this kid can find a position. If he can be developed into a ruck he's going to be a tough match-up with his athleticism. Not sold on his toughness at the contest as a ruck though get Ivan stuck into him and anything could happen. Potential star if developed properly.
Next Dustin Fletcher mate :D

2015 and beyond, give him 4 years

Back