Player Watch #34: Liam McBean

Will McBean be an AFL standard forward for Richmond ( 150 + games)

• No

• Yes

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

McBean will Ruck or fade away. He isn't the mark Richo was. He could be a player but he has to go though the ruck during games at stages to be effective
I agree that he is not the mark Richo was, this kid runs to support a lot more than Richo did and also has skills at the same age that are way better than Richos. I'm not trying to make comparison to Richo but disagree with you that it's ruck or nothing.

I agree that he is not the mark Richo was, this kid runs to support a lot more than Richo did and also has skills at the same age that are way better than Richos. I'm not trying to make comparison to Richo but disagree with you that it's ruck or nothing.

I don't think it is Ruck or nothing but during the game he is going to have to play in the ruck IMO at some point like a Brown of Collingwood at least

Not trolling, great pick up at 33 for you.

Just to confirm:
he is a Richmond supporter his whole life, never followed North
He waqs played out of position this year, he is a natural ruck/fwd but had been played down back this year
Weight is the only issue with Liam, he needs to stack it on & you have a gun that can play anywhere on the ground
he does have a good mark, I think playing down back unsettled him a little until he had a few games under his belt.
Skills & decision making are excellent for a player his size
Level headed kid, not a larikin but enjoys his being around mates

A unfair comparison is Cox, I would also liken him to Micth Clark (when he was inform at Bribane) but better skills

Hope he goes well for you guys, realistic it will be in 2-3 years before he makes seniors

Just to confirm:
He waqs played out of position this year, he is a natural ruck/fwd but had been played down back this year
Weight is the only issue with Liam, he needs to stack it on & you have a gun that can play anywhere on the ground
he does have a good mark, I think playing down back unsettled him a little until he had a few games under his belt.

A unfair comparison is Cox, I would also liken him to Micth Clark (when he was inform at Bribane) but better skills

Hope he goes well for you guys, realistic it will be in 2-3 years before he makes seniors

Cheers for the comments Turbo911. Sounds like you have had some contact with Liam, have you ?

Just to confirm:

Makes sense. He had real wraps on him before the draft, except being so skinny. I know FJ has talked about how that try to forecast a players final AFL body shape and hope that means they expect BcBeanpole to fill out OK. If he works out we have a huge win. The key sounds like it is muscle, not talent. I always like taking kids that have talent because that is hard to develop post 18. Physical stuff, to some extent, can be developed.

Cheers for the comments Turbo911. Sounds like you have had some contact with Liam, have you ?

A little, great kid & I wish him the best.
I know he will give his all for the yellow & black.

I'd also agree with Dr Tigris comments also.

The only concern is the weight IMO, being in a professional environment should only help this & further his development.

A little, great kid & I wish him the best.
I know he will give his all for the yellow & black.

I'd also agree with Dr Tigris comments also.

The only concern is the weight IMO, being in a professional environment should only help this & further his development.

That's always good to hear and we can't ask anymore than that. I'm hoping his dad is a man mountain. He seems to have a good frame but time will tell. I can see a lot for him, even if he doesn't gain the weight for ruck there seems to be other possibilities for him elsewhere on the ground given his skill and mobility. I don't think we will lose with Liam. :thumbsu:

Just looking at Liam & How he is over the moon about being at the tigers makes you feel happy for the kid and unlike some other players we have drafted in the past, Im very confident that Liam will give everything he has to make it as an afl footballer and wouldnt want to be anywhere els than punt road.

Not talking about playing style although plays similar position, just looking at his interview reminded me alot of a former Richmond Champion who we all grew to love and still do but for different reasons -

Perhaps its just my wishful thinking but for the over 40's who might remember how similar is his looks and attitude to our current CEO - Brendon Gale !

Just looking at Liam & How he is over the moon about being at the tigers makes you feel happy for the kid and unlike some other players we have drafted in the past, Im very confident that Liam will give everything he has to make it as an afl footballer and wouldnt want to be anywhere els than punt road.

Not talking about playing style although plays similar position, just looking at his interview reminded me alot of a former Richmond Champion who we all grew to love and still do but for different reasons -

Perhaps its just my wishful thinking but for the over 40's who might remember how similar is his looks and attitude to our current CEO - Brendon Gale !
hope your right gun . work with his cousin and he told me has never played ruck , the plan is make him hff or wingman once he puts on 10 kilos as he can run and has the skills of a gun mid, his field kicking will totally blow us away for someone so tall so he tells me . if that is the case than he Will be very hard to match up on.

hope your right gun . work with his cousin and he told me has never played ruck , the plan is make him hff or wingman once he puts on 10 kilos as he can run and has the skills of a gun mid, his field kicking will totally blow us away for someone so tall so he tells me . if that is the case than he Will be very hard to match up on.

I hope he sets the world on fire. If he can truely hold done a wing spot or whatever that would be superb as it would give us tremenduos advantage as a link player and allow us to structure differently. Big call but he seems to have some freakish attributes Eg. with McBean and Griff kicking 70+ m bombs we could move the ball in different ways which means we wouldn't be reliant on run and carry like other teams so our defense could sure up more and our list in general would be more energised for the general contest including up forward .

I think though with a bit of size, I would be happy if Mcbean provided just a contest in the ruck and dominated around the ground he could also be highly effective. He is exciting though and only he may or may not know what he cannot do. He reminds me of the GCS forward Tom Lynch a bit.

Hope gives it red hot go and gives it his best, who knows what he can achieve??:thumbsu:

Glad we gave him a shot:thumbsu:

I just see things a little differently to others with where the afl football is heading !

I believe the days of the ruckman that play primarly in the ruck are coming to an end, sure there will still be ruckman but the Sandilands,Hill,Graham,McIntosh days are numbered.

I want and think that we are heading in the direction where we will have 4-5-6 players able to take short stints in the ruck and share the ruck work whilst playing other positions.

e.g Backs that can ruck - McBean,Griffiths
Fwds Rucks - Vickery,Elton

So we could 1 day in 2-3 years time go into a game with all of Maric,Vickery,Elton,Griffiths,McBean playing in the same side and Ivan playing longer stints down back and foward

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just see things a little differently to others with where the afl football is heading !

I believe the days of the ruckman that play primarly in the ruck are coming to an end, sure there will still be ruckman but the Sandilands,Hill,Graham,McIntosh days are numbered.

I want and think that we are heading in the direction where we will have 4-5-6 players able to take short stints in the ruck and share the ruck work whilst playing other positions.

e.g Backs that can ruck - McBean,Griffiths
Fwds Rucks - Vickery,Elton

So we could 1 day in 2-3 years time go into a game with all of Maric,Vickery,Elton,Griffiths,McBean playing in the same side and Ivan playing longer stints down back and foward

I agree.:thumbsu:

I wouldn't have a clue what the support staff have planned but it would not surprise me, when Maric retires/moves on, to see Elton and TV rotating from the ruck to the deep forward line with McBean also rotating through. Griff could also rotate through but probably less likely given other impacts he can have

McBeanpole posted an image of himself on Twitter as a youngun and here I've found what I believe is another photo of Liam as a youngun.

potter_online_wideweb__430x286.jpg

HOLY!!!
Mcbean as a wingman? 200cm player just monstering the wing. Nobody will be able to outmark him.
If he has speed and kicking. The wings shall be called McWings :D

HOLY!!!
Mcbean as a wingman? 200cm player just monstering the wing. Nobody will be able to outmark him.
If he has speed and kicking. The wings shall be called McWings :D

Boom or bust this kid,

At the moment he avoids body contact and is selective in his attack on the ball, traits that hardwick wont/cant stand for, but If he is helped to have an appetite for the contest, he has the athletic ability and skillset to be a star.

Boom or bust this kid,

At the moment he avoids body contact and is selective in his attack on the ball, traits that hardwick wont/cant stand for, but If he is helped to have an appetite for the contest, he has the athletic ability and skillset to be a star.
With his build, that's understandable. If he's still like that in 2014, then I'll start to worry.

Well Todd Elton 12 months ago was drafted at 92kgs and is now already 97kgs with 3 months of pre season to go he is in the gym 4 days a week and being force fed to eat & gain as much weight as possible - Should get to 100kgs by march 2013 ........... That tells me that our weights / nutrition dept is doing a pretty good job

Well Todd Elton 12 months ago was drafted at 92kgs and is now already 97kgs with 3 months of pre season to go he is in the gym 4 days a week and being force fed to eat & gain as much weight as possible - Should get to 100kgs by march 2013 ........... That tells me that our weights / nutrition dept is doing a pretty good job

As long as they are not doing it at the cost of endurance and manoevureability. Rapid weight has some very significant risks. Ask "the Weapon"

Hopefully his St. Bernard's pedigree holds him in good stead. If he can have a career that comes close to the following AFL ruckman from his school I think we will be happy.

Simon Madden
Justin Madden
Steven O'Dwyer

All Victorian players
All Best and Fairest at their clubs

You could also add Joe Daniher into the list as another potential ruckman from St. Bernard's.
Bernard's has had it's fair share of spuds too... Adam bentick and Joel Reynolds????. Dane swans also another spud

Back