35,500 Crowd Yesterday Why??

Remove this Banner Ad

That's correct and they were all taken by Saturday.

Yeah, not surprised about that; I was specifically referring to StingBitten's statement about the Port game (Rd 22) being completely gone, when it should in fact have member resale opening up a few days before the game proper.

I have never resold my ticket. The only times I don't go are if I am sick or my son is and I leave it till the last minute to make the call.

I am not going to the Port game because my niece is getting married ,but the ticket will be given to a friend.

Yesterday was fabulous. I had to do 3 hours work at my desk once I got home, but work will never get in the way of a game.

I generally enjoy Hawks supporters' company more than any other opposition fans too.

I didn't roll up. 2.40 Sunday is such a s**t time for some. Did pass on my pass though.
Sunday arvo is a s**t time for games. Shame we get so many.
No matter when they schedule the game, some people will be disadvantaged. You can never please anyone.

I have no issues with the timeslot. On Saturday a lot of people have children sporting events to attend, Saturday nights clash with Birthday's, weddings, Sunday might clash with other sports etc.

No matter when they schedule the game, some people will be disadvantaged. You can never please anyone.

I have no issues with the timeslot. On Saturday a lot of people have children sporting events to attend, Saturday nights clash with Birthday's, weddings, Sunday might clash with other sports etc.

2.40 Sunday is s**t. The Weags cop a bit of it as well.

AFL House think everyone lives half an hour away from Subi.

Us out of the metro area have to plan well ahead for these games. I hate them (the timeslot that is, not AFL House :) )

Yep, the country members don't attend the late games on a Sunday.

Look at the Eagles V Pies game last week, they only had 36,000 attend a sell out game with a place in the finals for both sides on the line.

Sunday at 2:40pm. Also, it's nearly impossible for the public to get tickets so for whatever reason 15% of members didn't want to use their tickets.

I expect that when the possibility of an extra 20,000 seats being available comes about we will get more walk ups.

If I go to a game I want to sit with my friends or in the WAG box, not sprinkled around the ground. I assume there aren't ever group seating options available for home games as default.
To be honest I think the public will have similar problems even if they add 17,000 seating. We have 50,000 members (incl purple army) and I expect that to grow even more after more years of success.

Not sure how anyone in their right mind and in possession of a ticket could have stayed away for this one. My mate who sits next to me (who is a little crazy) had to prepare a report for work today and chose to stay at home. i was texting him through the game telling him he was missing the match of the year and to get up there but he didn't make it. Crazy. Work s**t comes and goes but games like this stay with you forever.
I had a ticket, but I didn't think the people sitting next to me would enjoy me coughing, sneezing and blowing my nose every 3 minutes, then high fiving the players after the game.

If I wasn't sick I probably would have come up, but Sunday twilight games suck for country members.

The only way I could see you really 'fixing' it is if you force members to claim their seat every week rather than work on the assumption that it will be used - but that has other problems written all over it.
Yeah, problems like go and get ****ed, it's my seat, I paid for it, I'll sit in it if I want and I will leave it vacant when I don't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No where near as shyte as Sunday evening, Thursday evening and Monday evening matches.

Or Sunday 7.40. What a stupid time slot really.

Given the pathetic crowds I've seen at games this year in Melbourne, 35k with a chance of a storm/apocalypse is a pretty good number.

we have around 100 or so kids from a boarding school who sit near us...quite often they don't show (bad weather, other commitments) and they never seem to pass on their tickets

Ken Hinkley and Brad Scott were sitting in block 333. Back row, about 3 seats away from each other.

Eh, was a couple thousand down from what I was expecting on a Sunday arvo but not convinced this is worth a thread.

Our crowds have been nothing if not consistent this year at least and yesterday it sounded like 40k+
Given the pathetic crowds I've seen at games this year in Melbourne, 35k with a chance of a storm/apocalypse is a pretty good number.

Yeah it's actually a pretty high take up rate relative to the rest of the league.

If Victorian clubs could get the percentage of members showing up we do even the minnow clubs would draw huge crowds against each other.

Yeah it's actually a pretty high take up rate relative to the rest of the league.

If Victorian clubs could get the percentage of members showing up we do even the minnow clubs would draw huge crowds against each other.
Definitely. The two games I went to on the weekend had the Pies with less than 1/2 of their membership there. Then the Dees with an official crowd of 17k, but unless 10k of that was in corporate boxes I think they may have lied.

Between the umpires, MRP and constant AFL blatant biased shyte treatment of the club there is very likely going to be one more permanent seat up for grabs next year too. Only so much you can continue to take.

Yeah, problems like go and get ******, it's my seat, I paid for it, I'll sit in it if I want and I will leave it vacant when I don't.

Ha ha, yeah, that's one of the things, the entitlement factor (and fair enough really) that a person can do whatever they want with their seat including intentionally or unintentionally leaving it empty.

Was just thinking on a more bigger social scale than "I paid for it I can do what I ******* well want to" - there are a bunch of non-seated members for example that would like to get to games where seats are vacant. The current system is as good as we're going to get I guess, but a way that helps get those extra punters in would be good I reckon for all involved (club, fans, players).

Don't see it as a big issue myself, just thoughts - personally, when I was a seated member (haven't been for couple of years due to personal issues etc.), I always went to games and/or had passed on my ticket, I think the majority work like that.

Definitely. The two games I went to on the weekend had the Pies with less than 1/2 of their membership there. Then the Dees with an official crowd of 17k, but unless 10k of that was in corporate boxes I think they may have lied.

True, but the difference is that (when playing at the MCG), that there's nearly always a huge number of tickets available to G/A etc. because none of the membership take up every seat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back