Past #35: Aaron Black - 50 NM games - 64 goals - traded to Geelong for pick 92 in '16 trade period

Remove this Banner Ad

With as you have said numerous times, Black playing as THE Tall Fwd.

Would be like sending Hansen back to the VFL and making him number 1 ruck, just not where they should be playing.
I have seen countless times he presents for the ball but it's a dodgy kick and goes back the other way. Then other times he tries to kick the goal rather than pass it off. Yep, if he was playing as the lead up forward he would look like a decent player.

We will have to offload him as he must be on 450 - 500k or near abouts.

Combine that with Wells probably on 550 - 600 and we have over a million dollars in cap space tied up between 2 guys who don't play for us for varying reasons.

We are chasing Treloar, needing to re-Sign Tarrant and Goldstein is out of contract next year so something's gotta give.

We will have to offload him as he must be on 450 - 500k or near abouts.

Combine that with Wells probably on 550 - 600 and we have over a million dollars in cap space tied up between 2 guys who don't play for us for varying reasons.

We are chasing Treloar, needing to re-Sign Tarrant and Goldstein is out of contract next year so something's gotta give.
He's not on that much.

When we were discussing getting dal and Higgins last 2 years club said we only had one player above 400k. It won't be black.

Would be absolutely moronic list management to trade black now. We've put 5-6 years of development into him and we're probably 18 months away from life after Petrie and Waite. The way North Ballarat are playing even Carey would struggle to get a kick. Let's give him a full pre-season, tell NB where to go and see how he goes next year

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Surely you are joking? Quality players (let alone AFL champions like Duck) put themselves into the game regardless of what is happening.

Carey at Black's age would be absolutely dominating VFL regardless of what team he played for, even if it didn't score a point.

Black simply hasn't come on and in fact gone backwards. His injuries have contributed but it's not the reason IMO, he just isn't good enough at the moment (ala Harper).

If we keep him I guess one of the following two outcomes is possible;
1. Improve as a player and deliver on why the club gave him a very healthy contract
2. Be the 'next Urqhuart' and continue to be a massive disappointment.

I lean to the latter but would be much happier with the former.

4. Aaron Black had a tough matchup, opposed to veteran Jared Rivers for the majority of the afternoon. The key-forward worked hard and hit the scoreboard.

“Rivers was trying to wrap him up and scragging, so Blacky’s ability to get off him and get free was tested,” Dyer added.

“When he did, Rivers struggled to go with him, and Blacky went on long, searching leads and found the ball.

“He kicked 2.2 and was involved in a few other goals as well, so against a good opponent it was a good performance.”

He's not on that much.

When we were discussing getting dal and Higgins last 2 years club said we only had one player above 400k. It won't be black.

This has to be wrong.

So top 50 players in the comp (which they all have been over the time you mentioned) like Harvey, Goldstein, Wells, Swallow (who is captain) Petrie, Thompson - even Ziebell and Cunnington are probably all on under 400,000?

This has to be wrong.

So top 50 players in the comp (which they all have been over the time you mentioned) like Harvey, Goldstein, Wells, Swallow (who is captain) Petrie, Thompson - even Ziebell and Cunnington are probably all on under 400,000?
A lot of our contracts were front ended when we had massive cap space including Ziebel, Cunnington and I think Swallow and Petrie.

Hard to know what Wells would be on to be honest.

Higgins is on 400k +.

Last edited:
If we get rid of Aaron now, and then Petrie and Waite retire in the next couple of years, who the *'s going to play forward outside of Ben Brown? Majak has shown time and time again that he's not up to it and Wood's more suited to midfield. Black is the only young player (aside from Ben Brown) who's a proven consistent mark taker and goal kicker at the top level. He was barely given a chance in his one appearance, his leads were ignored all night. I think keeping him is more important than we realise.

A close friend of mine, with ties to Freo, told me today that Aaron Black has agreed to go to Freo next year. He has lost faith in North Melbourne, and does not believe that he has had a fair go his year. I hope like hell thats wrong, as I think that ultimately he will develop into the tall mobile forward we all hoped for when he first broke into the seniors.

A close friend of mine, with ties to Freo, told me today that Aaron Black has agreed to go to Freo next year. He has lost faith in North Melbourne, and does not believe that he has had a fair go his year. I hope like hell thats wrong, as I think that ultimately he will develop into the tall mobile forward we all hoped for when he first broke into the seniors.
He better start brokering a great deal for North if he wants out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weller or GTFO.

Rivers shut down Majak earlier in the year if I recall correctly.

I don't watch much VFL, so not sure about this year, but last year in the seniors Rivers destroyed Majak (the Etihad game, IIRC). It was this game that has left me as a Maj doubter - I even commented to my mate at the time that the real indictment on Maj was that he made Rivers look like a champion.

More so north have lost faith in Black, if he pulled his finger out and actually perform he may have found himself in the seniors.

He'll be 25 at the start of next season and he hasn't really contributed anything for just about 2 seasons. I'm not sure there's a scope for a hell of a lot of improvement there, I think at best he'll get back to his 2013 form as a 30 goal 2nd/3rd tall but based on this year there's no guarantee he'll even get back to that level. If we can get something reasonable for him I think we should certainly trade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back