Past #35: Aaron Black - 50 NM games - 64 goals - traded to Geelong for pick 92 in '16 trade period

Remove this Banner Ad

4. After a first half spent at full forward, Aaron Black moved around the ground in the second to greater effect.

“He played higher up and got involved after half time. To have 19 touches is a lot for a forward and his ground level stuff was really good.

“He was clean and his hands were creative. Overall it was a good day for him.”

Why is it that people can't see Black paying midfield but Wood is talked about as a potential star who can play mid/Forward? Imo Black has shown more ability to win his own ball, is quicker, is better below his knees and is a better kick. They are both very promising players but if I was going to back one to hav more impact in the middle it's Black.
Wood plays very very outside and could be an asset on a wing but Black is the more complete package.

Wood is second to Gibbo for endurance, and is porbably quicker - he's also a left footer which is always handy, don't know why he hasn't cemented a spot in the best 22. Black also agile, and keeps his feet. Both Playing wings and switching to half forward would be very handy. Add this to Brown and Daw being KPP in the forward line and it looks promising.

Wood is second to Gibbo for endurance, and is porbably quicker - he's also a left footer which is always handy, don't know why he hasn't cemented a spot in the best 22. Black also agile, and keeps his feet. Both Playing wings and switching to half forward would be very handy. Add this to Brown and Daw being KPP in the forward line and it looks promising.

not if black ends up in freo its not.

This is how I see it too. Not sure about Blacks endurance but I watched him play in the ruck a couple of years ago at North Ballarat, he seemed to cover the ground very well that day.

I don't know, I guess I just get frustrated because we never try anything different. I remember Brad always talked about predictability but I just think we need to throw a spanner in the works every now and then.

All the top sides have unique players. I just think Black could be one for us.

This is how I see it too. Not sure about Blacks endurance but I watched him play in the ruck a couple of years ago at North Ballarat, he seemed to cover the ground very well that day.

I don't know, I guess I just get frustrated because we never try anything different. I remember Brad always talked about predictability but I just think we need to throw a spanner in the works every now and then.

I agree Dinkey Chap.

I didn't mind what AB brought to the team at all. It's a shame he can't get on the team. I personally feel he brings more to the table than Potential but the club needs to play their big free agent.

He would be good to replace Petrie too. Especially if he is getting up the ground so well at the moment.

i agree, we're too predictable in our 'structures'. We have a solid list and we should back them in. Sides like Hawthorn have players like Roughhead who can be thrown into the middle as a rover and get first use from his height, don't see why someone like Taz can't do this, he breaks tackles and keeps his feet for a tall bloke really well, mixing it up like this is what north needs to stop momentum of other teams.

i think everyone here had their hearts in their mouth when GWS kicked the last goal of the third to get within 24 points - when teams get some momentum on us it's almost like we have to tough it out in the defensive 50 until the siren goes.

i agree, we're too predictable in our 'structures'. We have a solid list and we should back them in. Sides like Hawthorn have players like Roughhead who can be thrown into the middle as a rover and get first use from his height, don't see why someone like Taz can't do this, he breaks tackles and keeps his feet for a tall bloke really well, mixing it up like this is what north needs to stop momentum of other teams.

i think everyone here had their hearts in their mouth when GWS kicked the last goal of the third to get within 24 points - when teams get some momentum on us it's almost like we have to tough it out in the defensive 50 until the siren goes.

You've got to wonder if Roughy played for us would've he ever been thrown in the centre.

At least now Drew drops back when the opposition has a run on, but that doesn't help us win it out of the middle ey

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We took a quality player & destroyed him last year, it was selfish off the club to play him injured for the whole season.

Perhaps.

I reckon it is just gonna take time to recover from the surgery.

I believe he'll be back and that we have time and the idea that he is leaving is flawed.

I didn't mind what AB brought to the team at all. It's a shame he can't get on the team. I personally feel he brings more to the table than Potential but the club needs to play their big free agent.

It is a shame but it's certainly not through lack of opportunity.

The club is not playing Waite because of that reason, ridiculous to even suggest it.

The club is not playing Waite because of that reason, ridiculous to even suggest it.

In relation to Black I agree.

I have no idea why Maj did not play the Freo game. Perhaps the statement has some truth.

In relation to Black I agree.

I have no idea why Maj did not play the Freo game. Perhaps the statement has some truth.

Black doesn't deserve a game and that is why he isn't playing (in terms of the player not your post).

As for Majak I have called for it a couple of times now for him to replace Waite at least for a game or two. I have no issue with that at all.

But I still don't believe the selection of Waite is to save face concerning our recruitment. Nonsense, we aren't that unprofessional.

It would be rather because they are putting faith in him to deliver and whilst at times disappointing, he has still contributed so I'm guessing we see that contribution as adequate (rightly or wrongly)

Last edited:

That's how i see it S31. I've never been a Waite fan. I don't really see what he is bringing but the club and yourself have differing opinions. That's fine. :)

That's how i see it S31. I've never been a Waite fan. I don't really see what he is bringing but the club and yourself have differing opinions. That's fine. :)

He hasn't been THAT bad. Like you I wouldn't be upset if he was dropped, but I don't think fair or accurate to think there is a hidden agenda that is forcing us to play Waite.

But like you said to me that is your opinion and it seems you may not be the only one to hold it, so no worries.

Black doesn't deserve a game and that is why he isn't playing (in terms of the player not your post).

As for Majak I have called for it a couple of times now for him to replace Waite. I have no issue with that at all.

But I still don't believe the selection of Waite is to save face concerning our recruitment. Nonsense, we aren't that unprofessional.

It would be rather because they are putting faith in him to deliver and whilst at times disappointing, he has still contributed so I'm guessing we see that contribution as adequate (rightly or wrongly)

If we are professional enough to make decsions based on facts then I think that Waites stats are being mirepresented.

has played like a horses arse for much of the first half of the season.

11th in goal assists across the AFL (1st at North).
20th in marks inside 50 across the AFL (2nd at North).
19th in contested marks per game across the AFL (1st at North).

Not bad for a second banana.

And I'd dare say that if our midfield had been performing anywhere near their best for the first half of the year then he would be ranked significantly higher. Yep, he drives me completely bonkers with some of the s**t he does, but he has been pretty decent for us since he crossed over.

11th in goal assists across the AFL (1st at North).
20th in marks inside 50 across the AFL (2nd at North).
19th in contested marks per game across the AFL (1st at North).

Not bad for a second banana..

indeed.

personally i dont think Waite has gone to bad, i suspect he cops a bit of flack due to potential replacements lack of form atm.

indeed.

personally i dont think Waite has gone to bad, i suspect he cops a bit of flack due to potential replacements lack of form atm.

From me he cops flack because he

- struggles to kick clutch goals
- has gone too many games goaless
- has a tendency to do the ridiculous

FWIW Maj should replace him and Maj is in great form.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back