Past #35: Aaron Black - 50 NM games - 64 goals - traded to Geelong for pick 92 in '16 trade period

Remove this Banner Ad

From the horses mouth.
Got complacent at times, but also had no confidence in himself or his body. Shoulder surgery at the end of the year meant his touch with the footy suffered.

Never demanded a trade asked if their was an opportunity and it suited North would do it, never wanted to demand any kind of release.

“I always see myself playing for North.”

When he found out he was staying at North felt relief and a massive weight off the shoulders.

Re: Home sickness - Not the case, never told the club he wanted to go home. Just said if the trade is right for both parties would accomodate.

Mindset now vs last year- Hungry. Wants to play AFL footy, VFL not where he wants to play. Brad behind him telling him if he gets his training and VFL up to scratch he is back in the team.

Good mindset now and a full preseason. Should be back to his best.

He will be especially crucial when the older forwards Drew and Waite retire (possibly both by years end)

Love the attitude but actions speak louder than words like others have said. Up to him to prove us all wrong. The talent is there.

He was at his best in 2013 when we moved the ball quick (and got scored against equally as quick) and he had space.

Our slower build up and the way we move the ball into our forward line doesn't lend itself to a poor contested marking player like Black.

He is agile and quick enough to play as a tall medium forward. Not sure he is clever enough.

I should have been more strident about this when people were tearing strips off him, but it always seemed more of a confidence thing than plain old bad attitude to me. A lot was made of one interview by his manager and nothing from the horse's mouth.

"not asking for a trade but open to one if you get a good deal" seems a reasonable position for him to have taken.

Now smash it Az.

Was one of his biggest fans, but on recent (non) efforts I've really dropped off.

I'm tired of injury excuses, good players with similar hampering injuries but not serious enough to miss games still find a way to produce to a certain acceptable level.

Has this year to prove he deserves to stay on the list. I hope he can and start delivering something near what we expected when we contracted him on very handy $$.

He pretty much said that he just expected to get a game and basically cracked the sads when he didn't.
The guy has stacks of talent and we've all seen it so if he's being that honest then I'm backing him in.

It sounds to me that Black has reacted in exactly the same way as I'd like to think I would react if I was in his position. He didn't want to leave the club, but if an opportunity presented itself that suited the club, he would be happy to entertain it. For me, that's the attitude I'd like to see from everybody on our list who can't crack the first 22.

I think I'd prefer the fringe blokes at the club didn't entertain a movie if it was there, but actually tried to get into the 22 by training their asses off. That's just me.

I think I'd prefer the fringe blokes at the club didn't entertain a movie if it was there, but actually tried to get into the 22 by training their asses off. That's just me.
I reckon that goes without saying. I would assume that Black was, also, doing exactly that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can't begrudge players planning out their lives post-football even it's a shift into the cinematic industry.

glad he admitted he didn't put in the hard work last season.

True, but it is still inexplicable to think at his age and talent needs a season in the VFL to pull his finger out and be "hungry" to work hard and deliver.

Should have had that attitude from day one at the club....

I can't see him playing many (if any) ones games this season due to our wealth of better options, but good luck to him if he can deliver on his words as more pressure for spots the better.

True, but it is still inexplicable to think at his age and talent needs a season in the VFL to pull his finger out and be "hungry" to work hard and deliver.

Should have had that attitude from day one at the club....

I can't see him playing many (if any) ones games this season due to our wealth of better options, but good luck to him if he can deliver on his words as more pressure for spots the better.
Maybe his lacklustre attitude was the result of players getting handed games when undeserving? Brad seems to have grown out of this now.

Nah we should continue to lay the boots in..
It was laying a boot into Scott who had nothing to do with it.

Aaron was a grown adult by the time he got his first game. Brad saw something in him to start with. He fell off on his own and got rightly turfed.

But no, let's blame the coach for everything like we always do.

Maybe his lacklustre attitude was the result of players getting handed games when undeserving? Brad seems to have grown out of this now.

Who's that you speak of mate? I think Brown, Waite and Petrie are walk up starts off exposed output compared to Black. Throw in Boomer, Higgins, Thomas and co (Garner/Turner/Anderson/Daw) there's no spots available unless breaks his way in off massive performances in VFL, which he hasn't near done.

In fact i'd say Black has played more games than he should have, due to the philosophy Brad used to have by backing in his players regardless of form. Black has no one to blame other than himself for his VFL exile which I suspect will be longer than his interview suggests.

Who's that you speak of mate? I think Brown, Waite and Petrie are walk up starts off exposed output compared to Black. Throw in Boomer, Higgins, Thomas and co (Garner/Turner/Anderson/Daw) there's no spots available unless breaks his way in off massive performances in VFL, which he hasn't near done.

In fact i'd say Black has played more games than he should have, due to the philosophy Brad used to have by backing in his players regardless of form. Black has no one to blame other than himself for his VFL exile which I suspect will be longer than his interview suggests.

In fact i'd say Black has played more games than he should have, he was terrible most of 2014 also due to the philosophy Brad used to have by backing in his players but he became so bad he simply couldn't be selected anymore.

This is what I was more thinking about specifically for Black. He was so far out of form in 2014, but just kept getting games. All I was wondering was maybe this led to some subconscious laziness n air of expectation? LMac has recently said something similar if I recall correctly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back