Player Watch #7: Ben Lennon

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 19, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
First round pick coming into his second season and can't even get a game ahead of first year players such as Menadue and C. Ellis.

When he played in the seniors this year he has looked fumbly and a bit lost and even at VFL level he isn't dominating.

He only had 17 possessions this week in the VFL and is probably not even at the standard of our first year rookie players in Short and Castagna.

So I ask? What is his future? What needs to be done with Lennon?

Where is he at?

First round pick coming into his second season and can't even get a game ahead of first year players such as Menadue and C. Ellis.

When he played in the seniors this year he has looked fumbly and a bit lost and even at VFL level he isn't dominating.

He only had 17 possessions this week in the VFL and is probably not even at the standard of our first year rookie players in Short and Castagna.

Where is he at?
I don't know how we do it , but we have s knack of recruiting g kids who lack intensity or at least appear to.
He seems one of these.
He also seems to not really have a position that he has really locked into at either end.
But that mostly is down to him and his physical intent.

That was baffling in itself.
Vlastuin is the same. I would have always thought it was easier to improve fitness than skills etc but we don't seem to be able to do it. Vlastuin doesn't have the pre-season excuse either from what I can gather.

Vlastuin is the same. I would have always thought it was easier to improve fitness than skills etc but we don't seem to be able to do it. Vlastuin doesn't have the pre-season excuse either from what I can gather.
He's an odd one because he seems to have the right attitude about everything too.

He's an odd one because he seems to have the right attitude about everything too.
He basically has everything except a tank. Not sure if that's poor fitness staff or poor player attitude (as a group) not pushing each other.

Back on topic I think Lennon should be fine. He's different to our other 1st rounders in the sense he wasn't ready to go but has a heap more upside than them. It's up to him and the club to get that out of him.

I saw he enlisted help outside the club to build his fitness base this pre season? Is that correct?

He needs to be developed right. We have issues in this so I'm not holding my breath.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

as i remember, this was what Emma Quayle had in her reviews prior to the draft. he still seems slow, but otherwise he is a very clean player.. Can pace be improved?

Last edited:
Needs to be left in the VFL untill he is bullying blokes physically. Playing him last year and again this has only done him harm , he is no where near ready . Was a strange first round pick given where our list was at, like menadue I expect them to be like SEdwards in that they will take time to develop .

Last edited:
Watched him live last year in his second game v GWS and he did some ripper things...
Looked quick enough, delivered a couple of lace-out efforts to Jack & Griff from memory and I was very excited.

Gone backwards at a million miles an hour for some reason.

Disturbed and worried. :cool:

Where is he at?
Lennon will take time but has huge upside IMO. Has played only 1 AFL game this year and was subbed out early in the 3rd quarter after lining up on Harry Taylor. If our development team is worth their salt, they will develop his fitness and body strength but it can take upto 3 -4 years for this to occur. By this time he will be still only 21 or 22 with plenty of good years ahead. I wouldn't worry too much about how many possessions he gets at VFL level, but rather the manner in which he gets them and the quality of delivery once he has the bal. To me he has plenty of skill but needs to develop his endurance and physical presence around the ball which will come over the next couple of years.

Having a tank suitable for an AFL midfield role might not necessarily just come down to fitness. You can be as fit as you can get but simple genetics might be a problem.

He reminds me a little of a bigger Paul Chapman.

I think all he needs is to bulk up, get some more fitness and finally have a set position instead of being moved around all the time.

I saw he enlisted help outside the club to build his fitness base this pre season? Is that correct?

He needs to be developed right. We have issues in this so I'm not holding my breath.
Nah that was Batch during his downtime

Remove this Banner Ad

Back