Player Watch #7: Ben Lennon

Remove this Banner Ad

For that reason, I wouldn't mind backing our new coach in to turn his form around IF we can't get a trade that we believe is fair. Like I said, depends on who is interested and what they're prepared to offer.

Tigers bosses may agree with you about first rounder or BL but Weagles for examply may be happy to drop their first in a straight swap.

Who knows.
I don't understand how some supporters still don't get that its not a bidding war on who offers the most in a trade.
Once a player nominates where he wants to go, there is no bidding war, you either work out a trade or you don't

I don't understand how some supporters still don't get that its not a bidding war on who offers the most in a trade.
Once a player nominates where he wants to go, there is no bidding war, you either work out a trade or you don't
Yes, that's the case most times these days, but Yarran's manager has most likely been privately contacted by a few clubs so he may end up choosing the one who 'woos' him the most. That club may well then be willing to offer the most in a trade. Trading is never black/white and rarely does anyone correctly predict it this far out.

I respect the opinions of other clubs and hope that clubs will be amicable come trade time.

Touche - but losing Robbo and Jeff for nothing essentially p*ssed supporters off to no end - would hope SOS and new coach are smarter with man management and trading. Would not forgive if we lost Yaz for a 30+ pick then he turned around to be AA (which he's very much capable of).
Pissed supporters off no end...good one.
100% of trades piss off some supporters. It doesn't mean anything.

Of course you'd say that - but I guess it depends how much your coach/club wants Yaz and what others are offering. Neither you, nor I can really comment until anything actually happens but personally, I'd hate to see Yaz tearing it up in Yellow/Black almost as much as if he played for the filth or * but if you are to be his desired destination, we'll be demanding a fair trade.
The problem is, maybe he is worth a late first based on talent and potential and so you see that as a fair trade, but really you can't honestly say he is worth anything close to that based on his output this year. In the end you can have all the talent in the world but you can only be judged on your performance, and based on the fact he can't get a game for the club on the bottom of the ladder at the moment i'd be astounded if any club including us considered a first rounder or young player like Lennon as a fair trade for Yarran. If Carlton aren't happy with that then by all means keep him, but his value in all likelihood will continue to decrease, and he doesn't really seem to be in your plans going forward.

Yes, that's the case most times these days, but Yarran's manager has most likely been privately contacted by a few clubs so he may end up choosing the one who 'woos' him the most. That club may well then be willing to offer the most in a trade. Trading is never black/white and rarely does anyone correctly predict it this far out.

I respect the opinions of other clubs and hope that clubs will be amicable come trade time.

Where ever Yarran goes he won't be going for a first round pick. Tell me another player who has been relegated to 2nds footy close to the prime of their career ever being traded for a 1st round pick?

It doesn't happen and it won't happen this year.

What Carlton need to decide is if they take the 2nd rounder this year or run the risk of FA compo being discarded next year or if compo stays can Yarran turn it around to get you decent compo. Right now no clubs will be offering more then 300k which is worth band 4 at best.

Edit: Also add you're right no one can predict this far out but history of trade week is usually a good guide to what will happen. I can't be bother going back through the whole thread and but i put a post up that showed the history of a Motlop type player usually gets you between 10-20 the next group get between 20-35. Unfortunately for Carlton Yarran's exposed form (he is too old for potential to come into it), attitude problems and playing VFL has pushed his value down to that level below a Motlop.

Remember talent has nothing to do with it when a guy is 25 its about production.

Last edited:
I'd recommend avoiding comment if you've got nothing meaningful to add. I was simply proposing a hypothetical in good spirit with respect - shame you can't do the same on behalf of your board. Yes Yarran is 24 and isn't in our side but that's more to do with the fact he's dealing with off-field issues and needs a new environment - anyone who judges his value based purely on his recent 'form' is kidding themselves. Anyone who's watched him and has half a brain knows how good Yaz would be in a top 4 side - a late first round pick in a 'weak draft' would be a steal.

This is why you wont get his true value, he will demand a trade and if he nominates us, despite being contracted, you will have to accept slightly less than his true value.

If he doesnt care where he ends up and a bidding war takes place, then you will get market value and probably more. So many if and buts.

The thing with Yarran for me, and this is targeted at Blues supporters, is there is a huge gap between Yarran's current worth and what the Blues supporters think he is worth. Based on output this year, he has had a worse year than Taylor Hunt. Yet Hunt wouldn't even command a pick inside the top 30 if he were to be traded. Add to the fact Yarran will be 25 at the start of next season, and we should NOT be talking about potential. He should have reached his potential by now, considering he has had a relatively free run at injuries. It should be about output, and right now, on output he is not worth pick 14, nor is he worth pick 20.

Blues fans need to forget the idea of trading Yarran at his best, and get it into their heads that they will be trading Yarran at his lowest in his career.

Any club is not buying Yarran at his worth to the Carlton Football club. They are buying him at the worth of the club who wants him, and his worth decreases each and every week.

Right no, I would give Carlton a second rounder and tell them that is all they will be offered. They refuse, what happens if Yarran spends a majority of 2016 in the VFL? Clubs would be hesitant to spend a great deal on a near 26 year old inconsistent player who has no real ideal position, behavioural problems and work ethic question marks, so the Blues may get a pick after what clubs would be prepared to offer this year.

Blues fans are deluded if they really think Yarran IS worth a first rounder. Prior to this year, you could say he WAS worth it, but right now, I'd say yarran is worth somewhere between a pick 20-35 depending on the club, considering the risk you will take on him to overcome his issues, a first rounder is almost laughable, especially with Richmond's policy of no risk policy of drafting safe, almost guaranteed players in the first round.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Currently lolling at our Richmond posters telling Carlton supporters they are being unrealistic, and are kidding themselves with regards to Yarran.

Some of the most ridiculous trade ideas have come from our board. Jayden Post being worth more then a packet of chips was funny. (Remember the pick 9 + Post for the WB pick 5 in 2012 being fair?) Outrage at Matt White not getting us compo despite seeing the same scenario in Chris Knights getting Adelaide none. David Astbury being worth a second round pick. Matt McDonough being worth a second round pick (from the rumours last year he wanted to go home.) Andrew Collins the greatest player of all time, for a horrid Shaun Grigg. Luke McGuane to GC for pick 15 in 2011. People who seemed to think bulk trading as many delistable players to consolidate them into another clubs superstar.

I have forever read some ridiculous values our posters have put on our players, dunna why they'd lol at an opposition supporter whose being pretty level headed.

Yarran is under contract in a shallow draft. Just like Hampson before him, if we want him, we need to pay overs. The FA card won't save us. He'd get a second round compo pick next year too, directly after Carlton's 2nd round pick and it will be in a stronger draft. Much better then our second pick this year.

Currently lolling at our Richmond posters telling Carlton supporters they are being unrealistic, and are kidding themselves with regards to Yarran.

Some of the most ridiculous trade ideas have come from our board. Jayden Post being worth more then a packet of chips was funny. (Remember the pick 9 + Post for the WB pick 5 in 2012 being fair?) Outrage at Matt White not getting us compo despite seeing the same scenario in Chris Knights getting Adelaide none. David Astbury being worth a second round pick. Matt McDonough being worth a second round pick (from the rumours last year he wanted to go home.) Andrew Collins the greatest player of all time, for a horrid Shaun Grigg. Luke McGuane to GC for pick 15 in 2011. People who seemed to think bulk trading as many delistable players to consolidate them into another clubs superstar.

I have forever read some ridiculous values our posters have put on our players, dunna why they'd lol at an opposition supporter whose being pretty level headed.

Yarran is under contract in a shallow draft. Just like Hampson before him, if we want him, we need to pay overs. The FA card won't save us. He'd get a second round compo pick next year too, directly after Carlton's 2nd round pick and it will be in a stronger draft. Much better then our second pick this year.

I agree that the trade proposed is pro ably realistic, but I would be pissed if we did that, I'd much rather we gave Yarran a miss altogether as I think Lennon will be a much better player

The thing with Yarran for me, and this is targeted at Blues supporters, is there is a huge gap between Yarran's current worth and what the Blues supporters think he is worth. Based on output this year, he has had a worse year than Taylor Hunt. Yet Hunt wouldn't even command a pick inside the top 30 if he were to be traded. Add to the fact Yarran will be 25 at the start of next season, and we should NOT be talking about potential. He should have reached his potential by now, considering he has had a relatively free run at injuries. It should be about output, and right now, on output he is not worth pick 14, nor is he worth pick 20.

Blues fans need to forget the idea of trading Yarran at his best, and get it into their heads that they will be trading Yarran at his lowest in his career.

Any club is not buying Yarran at his worth to the Carlton Football club. They are buying him at the worth of the club who wants him, and his worth decreases each and every week.

Right no, I would give Carlton a second rounder and tell them that is all they will be offered. They refuse, what happens if Yarran spends a majority of 2016 in the VFL? Clubs would be hesitant to spend a great deal on a near 26 year old inconsistent player who has no real ideal position, behavioural problems and work ethic question marks, so the Blues may get a pick after what clubs would be prepared to offer this year.

Blues fans are deluded if they really think Yarran IS worth a first rounder. Prior to this year, you could say he WAS worth it, but right now, I'd say yarran is worth somewhere between a pick 20-35 depending on the club, considering the risk you will take on him to overcome his issues, a first rounder is almost laughable, especially with Richmond's policy of no risk policy of drafting safe, almost guaranteed players in the first round.

100% agree. Go check out the blues board though. Absolute nuffies with what they want.. Lennon AND our 1st rounder is what's being thrown around by some.

Touche - but losing Robbo and Jeff for nothing essentially p*ssed supporters off to no end - would hope SOS and new coach are smarter with man management and trading. Would not forgive if we lost Yaz for a 30+ pick then he turned around to be AA (which he's very much capable of).
I still think a swap of picks will happen like maybe this years second plus next years second may get the job done, or Yarran and your second(~19), for our first, plus lower picks( blues get pick~14 plus our second ~34 with us swapping of 3rd/4th round thrown in, so you might end up with 1, 14, 34, minus 19 and Yarran)might be up also.

What the hell are we after when we talk Yarran. A mid? forget it, he just doesnt cut the mustard in that role. Few tackles, even fewer contested possesions. Does he win clearances well even for an outside player its lousy they are almost non existent. Does he get enough ball even as an outside player?? the simple answer is no. He just doesnt work hard enough and this reflects in his inconsistency. Even as an outside player who's forte is run and carry does he deliver inside 50 often enough, simple honest answer is no.
He plays his best footy off hb but how often does he rebound the ball?? simple answer is nowhere near enough.

He really is a glass half full player When allowed to run and use his pace and skills he looks a million bucks. When not allowed things on his terms he literally disappears in games. IMO there is plenty of razzle and dazzle with this soft prick, but when you look real close there is very little substance.

Stopped reading your case when I read "SOS and smarter in the one sentence"
You're dreaming
Amen brother

Just like to add. Im not a big wrap for Ben Lennon but hes still a kid with upside. We need to take the journey with Lennon and find out just how far he can go. I have seen more than enough of Yarran at age 25 to say stuff off to a swap of players. Develop our own even take the chance with our kids rather than Yarran. No more weak pricks at our club no more glass half fulls, certainly not at the expense of kids or very good draft picks. We have enough holes in the list to patch without this sort coming to our club.

Anyway this is the Ben Lennon thread i we should get back on topic.

Can i suggest an idea ! No matter what you say our supporters are going to reply by saying that yarran is out of form and a reserves player getting shopped by the club and is worth 2nd rounder, Then you are going to reply by saying he is only 24 but will be 25 by the time he plays for a new club and how good he is and he is contracted and carlton wont let him go for peanuts bla bla bla - Guess what this can never be agreed on on these forums

What i would suggest is make a poll on the main board that goes like this and lets see what other clubs supporters think his current value is Carlton and Richmond supporters cant vote

What is Chris Yarrans Value in a trade ATM
#1 - #10
#11 - #20
#21 - #30
#31 - #40
#41 - #60

Lets see whats the result after 1 week

I DARE YOU TO DO IT

That Lennon kid seems to havea good character and is pushing his way into the first 18 of a finals bound team (RFC). Greta kick and mark. Good size, not fast but can get he ball. Looks likely to make his way into the forward line as 3rd tall/mid forward, plus able to be a good mid. Nice talent set and developing nicely you'd think. Bit young to be properly judged, especially as he came in with sub par fitness. Another 2 years and I'd guess right now he would be a lock for the firsts and possibly a high impact [player, scoring goals and acting as a good link in the midfield. Not sure of his contested ball ability, but we'll find out. Footy smarts seem OK, but could improve.

In that 2-4 year period I might start to compare him to a 25 year old. But right now, lets talk about Lennon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back