Delisted # 8: Martin Gleeson - Not offered a contract, finishes his Essendon career on 97 AFL games

Remove this Banner Ad

Yoda and Jack Package.

Was their much pre-draft discussion about Gleeson ? I don't remember him featuring prominently in phantom drafts in 2012.

There wasn't he was one of those picks where all Essendon supporters went "Oh but, C and D were available, why take A?"

Which makes reading through the first few pages of this thread hilarious.
Actually, there's really not much of that stuff, mostly people talking about how skinny he is and how hot his sister is!
I just went on standard bigfooty recruiting protocol.
"Oh, I have not heard his name, must be s**t, I'm a recruiter bro"

images

Is it just me or can you see Gleeson in this frog?
Bloody slippery little sucker too.

Yoda and Jack Package.

Was their much pre-draft discussion about Gleeson ? I don't remember him featuring prominently in phantom drafts in 2012.

put it this way, his profile in Knightmare's mock was in the 'other profiles' section of the mock and in it's entirety read like this 'Martin Gleeson - Mid'.

I had heard the name, but had no idea what sort of player he was.

There wasn't he was one of those picks where all Essendon supporters went "Oh but, C and D were available, why take A?"

Rory Atkins...Games: 0, times passed on by Essendon: 4.

Based on up until this round, If the 2012 draft were re-done, he'd go top 15 :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually had a look through the more credible phantom drafts (snoop etc) and didn't see a mention of him at all.

At the risk of causing a heated argument, is it possible that Gleeson's started his career better than Heppell?
In the sense that Gleeson debuted a (relative) year later, no. His first few games have been better than Heppell's though. Gleeson has a degree of polish and penetration in his disposal that Heppell is still yet to get near, which also why the constant Pendlebury comparisons for the latter are a bit off.

Just a beautiful kick, I can't remember the last time I was impressed by a relative rookie to kick so beautifully for us, Mercuri maybe?

In the sense that Gleeson debuted a (relative) year later, no. His first few games have been better than Heppell's though. Gleeson has a degree of polish and penetration in his disposal that Heppell is still yet to get near, which also why the constant Pendlebury comparisons for the latter are a bit off.

Mmmm agreed, Gleeson is more comparable to pendles than Heppell, pendles actually only played a couple games in his first year. Gleeson after a couple more pre seasons to strengthen core and legs, wow that could be exciting for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back