Delisted # 8: Martin Gleeson - Not offered a contract, finishes his Essendon career on 97 AFL games

Remove this Banner Ad

mQ3cdIP.png

Players improve, players go past others. Look at Trav Colye, Orazio Fantasia to a lesser extent. I fully expect a host of other youngsters to do the same next year.

Making the point that Gleeson missed 10 weeks,played two games in the VFL,and was rushed backed into the AFL team - I thought it was a surprising selection.

Making the point that Gleeson missed 10 weeks,played two games in the VFL,and was rushed backed into the AFL team - I thought it was a surprising selection.

I was thinking pre game why have players like Melksham who have generally been poor at AFL level been 'gifted' games ahead of upside players like EKav and NOB, because players like Gleeson and Fantasia have better all round games than those aforementioned names.

Like him in the side and think he should be a lock for the 22 when fit but wonder if he should get a game this week. I have concerns over his body maturity and his ability to run out games. It's a final and we are playing a heavily contested team. We need mature bodies. I wouldn't be against dropping him for someone like a Melksham for this week.

If he is fit then we pick him for round 1 next year.

Like him in the side and think he should be a lock for the 22 when fit but wonder if he should get a game this week. I have concerns over his body maturity and his ability to run out games. It's a final and we are playing a heavily contested team. We need mature bodies. I wouldn't be against dropping him for someone like a Melksham for this week.

You forget he is not human, size is not measured on the same scale for cyborgs.

My head agrees with you, but my heart belongs to Gleeson.

Did I see him pull out of a contest whilst running back with the flight of the ball tonight, around the 3rd quarter? Was running back to mark, lifted his head and saw a North player and immediately flinched/pulled out. Luckily Hocking put his body on the line about 7 seconds later to make up for it (part of the reason why it all stuck in my head was because I was wrapped that Hocking lead by example straight after the incident). I mean I don't expect the kid to break his neck for the team but I found it very interesting.

(I'm not trying to shame the kid, nor will I be pissed off if it was the case... Just asking if what I saw was correct)

Looked pretty lost and out of his depth overall tonight. A real shame. Ah well, come back harder next near Marty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did I see him pull out of a contest whilst running back with the flight of the ball tonight, around the 3rd quarter? Was running back to mark, lifted his head and saw a North player and immediately flinched/pulled out. Luckily Hocking put his body on the line about 7 seconds later to make up for it (part of the reason why it all stuck in my head was because I was wrapped that Hocking lead by example straight after the incident). I mean I don't expect the kid to break his neck for the team but I found it very interesting.

(I'm not trying to shame the kid, nor will I be pissed off if it was the case... Just asking if what I saw was correct)

Looked pretty lost and out of his depth overall tonight. A real shame. Ah well, come back harder next near Marty.
I saw it too. I was very disappointed, but young players will learn from that. Hopefully Hirdy shows him that footage and he never does it again. Still think he will be a gun.

No I don't take anything out of him pulling out of the contest. The kid is a talent and at the end of the day it's that he's still a kid. He'll learn from it for sure

Did I see him pull out of a contest whilst running back with the flight of the ball tonight, around the 3rd quarter?
Yep, he squibbed it...as has every single person who has ever played the game. It's not part of his game, will be a very good player...thought he was actually Ok in first half.

Shows how highly rated he is that he was put straight back into the side after he returned from injury.. Hope he becomes a regular next year, pace will be a real asset

Shows how highly rated he is that he was put straight back into the side after he returned from injury.. Hope he becomes a regular next year, pace will be a real asset
Played 3 VFL games before he came into the seniors

Remove this Banner Ad

Back