Player Watch Sam Grimley (2009-15)

Remove this Banner Ad

With the bye next round the Development Side will be in action on Saturday 19th May against North Ballarat at Box Hill City Oval from 11:00am.
Box Hill Hawks 4.5, 12.7, 17.14, 19.19 (133) defeated
Frankston Dolphins 0.1, 1.3, 4.6, 4.8.32

Goals: Box Hill: S. Cust 3, T. Northe 3, T. Gordon 3, D. Cooper 2, J. Wilsen , M. Lock , X. Murphy , T. Miles , K. Grenda , S. Grimley , L. Tobin , T. Cunningham
Frankston: S. Fox 2, J. Pearce , J. Whelan
Best: Box Hill: S. Cust, T. Northe, X. Murphy, M. Lock, S. Grimley, B. Muston
Frankston: S. Fox, T. Gardiner, C. Ndongo, D. Johnston, J. Capiron

http://www.boxhillhawks.com.au/news-read.aspx?NewsId=899

If Sam cant get a run in the ones next week then he may have to watch from the stands....again....or play against Melbourne;).

From the Box Hill website match report:

From Hawthorn’s list, Sam Grimley was hard to beat in the ruck. Bello stating it was the best game he had seen Grimley play in the Development side.

http://www.boxhillhawks.com.au/news-read.aspx?NewsId=908

Encouraging, but needs to contniue the form and push his way into the seniors. Also needs to show he can produce against quality opposition...
or back over Patto or Lowden in the carpark.

Grimley played in the great win today down at Williamstown. Played key forward with little impact. Kicked a goal and competed in the air but dissapeared from the contests too easily. Is wearing a new angry look on his face which I like.

Good to see Sammo back in the seniors. Stay angry!

Ahh, by all reports Sam had a quiet day in the forward line agaisnt Bendigo. Box hill did cop a pasting in the second half and so oppurtunities were probably limited. But I would like to be writing how Sam imposed himself on the game.

With the probable ins for Hawthorn in the next few weeks Sam may find himself back in the development squad.

Will be playing the next few weeks at CHB.. Looks like the club are trying to see if he can become a KPD.

Certainly has the atleticism for it..

Will be playing the next few weeks at CHB.. Looks like the club are trying to see if he can become a KPD.

Certainly has the atleticism for it..

Thanks for that BB, quite confused that the club has taken 4 years to make their mind up on this though. Good luck to Sam.

From the HFC website - Sam Grimley (finger) - 5-6 weeks
http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/Default.aspx

Sam's form has been on the ordianry side and hence he has played a few games in the development squad. Form coupled with being behind Pattison, Lowden, McCauley and now Bailey.
This injury will just about see out the season for Sam. In what may have possibly career defining games, Sam wont be participating. Head down and train/rehab well, Sam.

I believe he is, but he certainly hasnt show the form and at times people have questioned his desire. So he needs to show he can be dominant at VFL reserves level to make a point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am just wondering whether young Sam will get another year to develop as i find it interesting clubs may need a giant mobile backmen to come up against young Joe Daniher who looks as though he will be a gun.My thinking was that we have the perfect player in Sam to keep developing as a backmen for this particular roll.Not sure if he is suited or not,just wondering what your thoughts were.

I am just wondering whether young Sam will get another year to develop as i find it interesting clubs may need a giant mobile backmen to come up against young Joe Daniher who looks as though he will be a gun.My thinking was that we have the perfect player in Sam to keep developing as a backmen for this particular roll.Not sure if he is suited or not,just wondering what your thoughts were.

I tend to agree with your thoughts Rowie. Grimley is a future build player and Hawthorn have show patience in the past when developing youngsters. Dare I use Thorp and Dowler as examples. Also Muston and Bailey.

I would like Sam to be given another year at least as he was drafted as a project and really must be given the duration to show his worth. If Sam is given another season I am sure the club will leave him in no doubt as what is required to maintain his spot on our list.

A lack of KPP and the clubs selections available in the draft have likely been factors in Sam being retained on the senior list. Sam has one year remaining on his contract and will need to develop significantly in many areas to continue his AFL career.

Best of luck for the upcoming season Sam. In reality luck will only play a small part.

Clarko is on record as stating he doesn't see Grimley as a backman. It's ruck/forward or nothing.

I think he is very lucky to get another year and hope he takes the chance with both hands.

Clarko is on record as stating he doesn't see Grimley as a backman. It's ruck/forward or nothing.

I think he is very lucky to get another year and hope he takes the chance with both hands.
That was over a year ago and opinions can change.I cannot think of any other reason we would have kept him and they also started playing him down back in the development squad.

2013 has arrived but Grimmers hasnt quite...yet.
Has played the first two weeks of NAB cup and raised his profile among supporters. Kicked a lovely goal in week one and displayed his athletic prowess. Week 2 played ruck and demonstrated a fair ability but nothing greater.

Attached is a link for it's discussion content from the main Hawks board. It's inclusion is relevant to this thread because of the knowledgeable and insightful posters who contributed.
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/grimley-2013.990734/

Carrying some attitude this year and whilst not named in the best against Port, Sam managed to kick three goals. From all reports Sam contested and displayed the attitude that has seen his performances improve. A far cry from last season.

A solid performance against quality opposition.

The door has opened and Grimmers stuck big hoof straight through it. A very promising debut against the Gold Coast Suns. A debut that a number of very astute Box Hill viewers believed would never happen.

Sam+Grimley+Hawthorn+v+Gold+Coast+lINjOrecyjfl.jpg

A better start to a career couldnt be had with his first mark followed by his first kick being a goal.
Sam was pleased, the crowd was pleased and teammates all got around him. Tear jerking stuff.

images
Sam+Grimley+Hawthorn+v+Gold+Coast+bmuFquNKhfNl.jpg

I have only the benefit of seeing Sam's game live but from my vision he appeared to slot in nicely. Not only was his ruckwork serviceable but Sam managanged to get involved in passages of play and hit targets. He clunked a number of good marks and covered the ground well before being subbed out at the commencement of the final quarter.

Sam+Grimley+Hawthorn+v+Gold+Coast+TsSkHoFx5fDl.jpg

The oppurtunities for Sam will likely be limited this season but having a taste of the big time can only wet the appetite. Congratulations on a great debut.

Sam+Grimley+Hawthorn+v+Gold+Coast+XB0JVul5alJl.jpg

Kicks 7
Handballs 7
Disposals 14
Marks 7
Hitouts 11
Tackles 2
Goals 1
Behinds 0

Based on this performance, Sam has the ability, he has the work rate and he has a big future. Certainly deserves a game next week but that will likely depend on Hale's availability.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back