Player Watch Sam Grimley (2009-15)

Remove this Banner Ad

Dead set rock solid debut .
WD Sam !!

Agreed. Quite a debut for mine. Also get the impression he's one of those players who will show more by playing at the higher level.

Once again Sam is the talk of the town, well Hawthorn town anyway. Another solid game which included link play, action around the goals and best of all a couple of clunking contested marks.

Kicks 6
Handballs 9
Marks 4
Hitouts 9
Goals 1

Will he score another game after the bye? Well David Hale and Max Bailey will be looking over their shoulder now. This is the story of a man who wants and is going to belong.

350x.jpg

Keep it coming Sam!

Clossed Sessions spoke to Monkey today. I asked about the transition by Grimey from a lad who last year could barely get a kick in the BH Development Squad to being a senior Hawthorn player.

Monkey said it was a combination of natural maturity and self realization that he wanted to do more than just run around on the park with the other guys and be satisfied with that.

Monkey also said that the big blokes know that as long as he, Monkey, is coaching you have to earn your place in the Hawthorn team....there will be no easy games handed out.

He expressed great delight with the way Ceglar is playing. As to Lowden he said he was going okay, even very well at times but has games where he falls off the pace and undoes his previous good work. But there is an improvement trend line there.

Grimmers has been quietly chugging away in the VFL playing forward and has managed goals in most games. Has not been setting the world on fire for a few weeks until...

Last quarter against Port Melbourne with the game in the balance and Stones Grimley seizes the moment and becomes the difference. Kicked 4 goals and played as an aggressive forward. This is key to Grimley progressing to be a senior player.

Not sure if there will be many more opportunities to play senior footy for Grimley this year but it will be performances like the Port game that will continue to build the legend that is.....Grimley.

Opportunity knocked and Sam answered. Some criticism of Sam from Friday night v the Saints in regards to him looking lost and over committing to the ball carrier. All fair in nature and the match provided Sam plenty to improve on.

In fairness there were numerous passages of play from the team that could have confused a pig in a trough.

Sam showed his athletic capabilities around the ground and boy is he an exciting prospect. The leap in the second quarter was a taste of things to come. Not very often of late that I can recall a big Hawk on an opponents shoulder.
Farren+Ray+Sam+Grimley+AFL+Rd+20+St+Kilda+VLEb4SLAPTcl.jpg

Competed in the ruck without a great deal of success but I love the package that Sam brings to the table. He moves around the ground so well and goes from zero to full tilt quickly for a big man. He has aggression. He can kick a goal.

Sam needs a bigger tank and most of all experience. All in all a thumbs up from a totally biased supporter.

Kicks 8
Handballs 2
Marks 5
Goals 1
Points 1
Hitouts 4

2013 has been a great season for Sam. From an AFL and VFL perspective. The talk surrounding Sam at the end of last year was wether he would be a required player. Now questions are being posed such as should he wear the Number 23. 12 months is a long time.

images

Sam was called up for 3 senior games this year and showed promise each time. It would appear that the hierarchy view Sam as a 2nd ruck/forward. Sam is not quite there in matching with the big boys in the ruck but demonstrated attributes that will make him a dangerous forward in the years to come. Big leap, smooth mover for 199cm and can finish with the goal.

images

It is possible that with a another pre season and coaching from Monkey/Bailey that Sam will come on with leaps and bounds with Rucking.

His VFL form also took a major step forward this year with Sam rising to the occasion more than once in crunch moments to seal the deal with big marks and goals. Capped off his year in the VFL with a premiership with the boys at Box Hill which can only be counted as a positive experience.

images

He is the prototype of the future ruckman. Another pre season showing the steely determination of 2013 and who know's what the possibilities for Sam and HFC are?

images

Congratulations on a great year Sam Grimley.

I dropped into Waverley for a coffee this morning and was lucky enough to witness something that made me GRIIINNNN GRIIINNNN GRIMMMEERRRSSS!!!

Was anyone else there who saw Grimley's one hander?

I was behind the goals at the freeway end and the comments from two notible senior Hawks was of approving surprise. I wish I had the camera on it but then probably would have been mistaken for a Freo spy!

Huge leap over no-one, one hand, one clean palm. I sit here shaking my head while typing, trying to do it justice with my discription, but I can't.:(
Limited, but good signs;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope so, these tall blokes take a lot longer to mature than shorter ones and once he's matured he'll be pretty decent, a true swingman in my book.

I do think he deserves another year at least, but he has to start showing that form and talent on a more regular basis

I do think he deserves another year at least, but he has to start showing that form and talent on a more regular basis
Remember this is the first year he has stayed in the one position for the entire year and all of each game. Before that he was moved here, there, and everywhere, throughout the season and in each and every game, as well as each Qtr, it was very annoying to watch so I'd hate to think how he felt.

He is getting confidence now and this is massive for him. Also with the way the ball comes in at vfl level it's amazing any goals are kicked atm with the flooding that is going on.

One thing to note, people say he hasn't got it, can't read the play etc - I disagree, at the start of the year he was always fighting for front position (and often holding it), as a forward should, but the ball was hardly ever kicked to his advantage, over the season he has adjusted and even though some hate it he now gets goals over the back and by losing his man by turning him around - so he does know how to adjust to how the ball is coming in, which comes from being left in one position, now it's more about getting his body stronger and getting him hungry to chase and tackle hard.

He (touching wood) will finally get through his first season without any restrictive injury and be primed for a pre-season, I for one just hope it is with the Hawks.

Best years yet to come. Some players take more time to mature, especially the big ones. I for one hope he is on the list next year. With Clarko's foresight I'm fairly confident he will be, but I may be completely wrong.

Now that Lowden has departed, he our 2nd backup ruckman. Clarko likes our big men to float forward to become a big mobile target. With a "Frosty" around his neck we know he can kick em.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back