Past Player - Shaun McKernan

Remove this Banner Ad

Alex99

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 9, 2004
AFL Club
Adelaide
Anyone see the footage of him roughing up Natanui at last year's championships in the Essence of the Game doco? He was an angry young man!

Then he got drafted by Neil Craig and become a placid young citizen. :rolleyes:

WALL-e

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Magic, Sturt, Ravens, Duke
It's funny, I see it in a lot of people, myself included, that he's very quiet and reserved off the field, but on it he's loves the talk and physical.

I like his aggresiveness out there, looks like he feels at home.

Campbell's Chunky

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Central Districts
What a massive unit with gigantic hands. Looks like he is going to inhale that sherrin.

93012788.jpg

WALL-e

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Had a dream he was dominating.

Then Woke up to SEN where Corey McKernan was being interviewed. He was talking about how he chased some guy who smashed his window and make a citizens arrest.

Wooooo!

KUNG FU

Norm Smith Medallist
May 31, 2006
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
http://www.afc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/4417/newsid/76889/default.aspx

Five minutes with Shaun McKernan

Calum Young 12:31 PM Fri 15 May, 2009
mckernan_large.jpg
Shaun McKernan during pre-season training

When Shaun McKernan first arrived at West Lakes he drew automatic comparisons with his brother Corey, premiership ruckman for North Melbourne.

But although Shaun grew up admiring his older brother’s achievements, he came to Adelaide with a clear intent to make his own name in football.

Neil Craig described McKernan in the pre-season as “quiet and reserved, but with a steely strength about him at such a young age”. McKernan does possess a quiet nature but his work ethic and determination in training has seen him complete a fairly successful first six months at the club.

The 196cm ruckman from the Calder Cannons has made a comfortable transition from TAC Cup to SANFL league football with a number of strong performances for South Adelaide both in the ruck and up forward.

Although McKernan went through some homesickness in the pre-season he is now enjoying life at the Adelaide Football Club and is one of a number of talented young tall prospects at the club.

afc.com.au caught up with McKernan this week...

You’re now six months into your first season at an AFL club. How has it been?

“First couple of months were pretty tough. I got to ease myself into it so we were lucky we didn’t have to go flat out straight away. We were held back a bit so we had time to get used to what we were doing.”

Was leaving home difficult?

“That was probably the toughest thing I think. When I first got over here I didn’t really think about it as much, I was probably more excited about getting drafted and coming onto an AFL list. I reckon when I came back over in February I got a bit home sick. Now I feel pretty good because I’ve met people outside the footy club so I’ve got another social network outside the club as well so it helps.

“It’s pretty tough because there’s not much you can do when you’re sitting at home by yourself and there’s not much to do. I was always thinking about home but now I just love being over here. I talked to everyone at home a fair bit and I still talk to them every day.”

How did you find the transition from TAC Cup to SANFL league footy?

“It’s obviously a step up but I think the pre-season here helps a fair bit. The training we do here is full on so when I had my first crack in the SANFL I felt I did alright and I was well prepared. Playing TAC Cup your playing with young kids like myself so it is still a big transition but in the training we did here at the club there’s a lot of match practice and it’s high intensity so that was good.”

“At South there’s a real emphasis on playing together and how much of an important part of footy it is. Just really trying to promote team footy and forming a strong culture among the playing group is important at an SANFL club; they want to show it can go a long way.”

Other challenges you have faced?

“Probably because I’m a big bloke trying to learn about rucking and playing in key positions. Going up against guys like Ivan (Maric) and Kurt (Tippett) in training is obviously pretty tough. Now I feel more comfortable going up against them because I have learnt a few more things, but at the same time they have been able to coach me and Matthew Clarke has been really good as well.”

Is it good being able to learn off the other big men at the club?

“I remember the first ruck session we did Griffo and Bobby Moran helped me a fair bit. They gave me as much advice as they could. I’m learning stuff all the time so it’s good to be able to take that out into the SANFL.”

Do you keep in touch with Corey much?

“Yeah we talk to each other a little bit. When we chat he’s always asking me how I’m going in the games. Being away from home we don’t talk all the time but I know that I can always ask him about anything. There have been a few times that I’ve asked him for a bit of advice and he’s always pretty good.”

Happy with your form in the SANFL?

“Alan Stewart (Development manager) has been pretty happy with how I’m going. Round one I didn’t dominate or anything like that. I still played an alright game and I felt I was still a touch off from where I wanted to be. Probably over the last couple of weeks I’ve been able to do a bit more and the last three games I think I’ve been pretty happy with how I’ve been going. Alan Stewart has been pretty happy with my progress. Craigy seems happy too and they just keep saying to take your time and you’ll get an opportunity.”

How encouraging is it to see guys like Taylor Walker or Andy Otten doing well and also in the pre-season when Rory was getting an opportunity?

“It spurs you on fair bit. Obviously they are younger players at the club and you want to be there with them. Being in the Crushers group you all want to get a game. Seeing Pup and Otto and Tex and since round one how much they have developed, you’re always interested to see how they are going. It’s good for the younger blokes to see that.”

How have you found the lifestyle here in Adelaide compared to Melbourne?

“It’s definitely different. Adelaide is a bit quieter than Melbourne but I’ve enjoyed getting into the lifestyle here. I’m really enjoying here it now.”

Have you settled into the club well?

“It’s been good. It’s been six months now so you get to know everyone. Nathan Bock is my mentor and he has been great. I remember at the start of the year I sat down with him and had a chat about what goals I wanted to set and what I wanted to get out of the year. He was pretty important with stuff like that. He said take it all in and try to get the best out of everything you can. He’s an All-Australian player so I get advice off him as much as I can.”

Did you have expectations when you came to the club? Have you set new ones and have you met the one’s you set at the start of the year?

“In the pre-season I wanted to get my 3km time down to under 11 minutes and I ended up running 10.40 so that was a good first achievement. I think I’m pretty well on track with what I had expected of myself so I’ve just got to continue to do that and work hard. I want to keep doing what I can in the SANFL and maybe at some stage I’ll get an opportunity from Craigy.”

I'm really starting to think McKernan will take over CHB, with Bock as his mentor. These days the CHB position is more of a wing/KPP role, so McKernan would have similar exposure to the contest as a ruckman. He's still rucking a fair bit though, so he'll definitely continue to pinch hit in that role.

WALL-e

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
5 Minutes isn't enough ;)

He and Phil can play the "where ever I want" role.

I still think Smack at CHF Davis at CHB Young at FB Tip at FF and Tex FP for the long haul, but things change so quick and players find new possies etc.

Such an exciting time to be a Crows supporter. All this youth. It's a feeling a lot of us haven't had for a while.

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
5 Minutes isn't enough ;)

He and Phil can play the "where ever I want" role.

I still think Smack at CHF Davis at CHB Young at FB Tip at FF and Tex FP for the long haul, but things change so quick and players find new possies etc.

Such an exciting time to be a Crows supporter. All this youth. It's a feeling a lot of us haven't had for a while.

It's nice to have something to get excited about besides merely being competitive, eh? ;)

Most of the time with young players I'm never confident they'll make it, but I don't get that with McKernan. Somehow I know that at the very worst he'll just be an average AFL footballer.

KUNG FU

Norm Smith Medallist
May 31, 2006
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
All midfielders who could go and get the ball themselves while the rest of Souths dicked around, as a big bloke McKernan is a lot more reliant on team mates.

Definitely not the case when he's predominantly playing in ruck and defence. Plenty of contests.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definitely not the case when he's predominantly playing in ruck and defence. Plenty of contests.

Then he needs more time in the SANFL because, and I admit it's the only Souths game I've seen this season, on the weekend he was not particularly impressive. Certainly not within a cooee of earning a Crows call up, as some people seem to obsess over each week.

KUNG FU

Norm Smith Medallist
May 31, 2006
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Then he needs more time in the SANFL because, and I admit it's the only Souths game I've seen this season, on the weekend he was not particularly impressive. Certainly not within a cooee of earning a Crows call up, as some people seem to obsess over each week.

Yeah no chance. Would need for half the team to tweak a hammy in a week. Easily the most likely of this year's group because he was 196cm/95kg when he was drafted and Sloane has dramatically dropped off pace.

Drummond

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Red Wings
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/78701/default.aspx
McKernan Mach 2 nears debut

ADELAIDE coach Neil Craig says it’s just a matter of time before draftee Shaun McKernan gets his chance at AFL level.

McKernan made his SANFL league debut in round one and quickly established himself as a consistent contributor in the struggling South Adelaide line-up.

The 18-year-old travelled to Melbourne last weekend for the Crows' clash with Essendon and experienced the pre-game routine with his teammates.

Craig said McKernan was on the cusp of being included for real.

"Shaun came under strong consideration last week and, if his form continues at South and with the things he’s doing there, he’ll play AFL football this year," Craig said.

"I hope Shaun can push into our side because it’s important for him to do that, just as it is for Rory Sloane, Phil Davis and James Sellar, who have got really good form and are starting to push their cases for AFL selection."

Adelaide’s three-game winning streak has pushed McKernan back into the queue of players waiting for an opportunity.

The big man said it was exciting to be on the verge of realising a childhood dream.

"I’ve achieved most of my pre-season goals already and the only one left standing is to play AFL," McKernan said.

"When someone like Craigy or even (development manager) Alan Stewart comes to you and says, 'You’re ready to play AFL', it’s a pretty big reward for effort.

"Now, I’ve just got to bide my time and hopefully in the next couple of weeks that opportunity will come up."

The Crows were thrilled to secure the former basketballer at No. 28 in last year’s NAB AFL Draft.

McKernan had earned All-Australian selection at under-18 level alongside Vic Metro teammates and fellow top-10 draftees Jack Watts, Tyrone Vickery and Michael Hurley.

He also impressed at draft camp where he finished second to Nick Naitanui in the standing vertical jump and sixth overall in the agility test.

Over the pre-season, McKernan also demonstrated his impressive running capacity by recording a time of 10min 40sec in the 3km time trial.

McKernan, who played seniors for Tullamarine at 15, only discovered his biggest strength—his versatility—when he relocated to the Calder Cannons.

"I’ve always been pretty big for my age, so I played most of my junior footy in the ruck," McKernan said.

"It was only when I started playing TAC Cup that I got chucked around a bit more and realised that I could play different positions because I had the running capacity and speed.

"I don’t mind where I play. I like the ruck and also kicking a few goals up forward, but last year I even played as a rover."

McKernan, who models his game on mentor Nathan Bock, took it to teammates Ivan Maric and Jon Griffin during ruck stints with the Panthers and also played at centre half-forward opposed to Brad Moran.

His ability and appearance have attracted inevitable comparisons to older brother Corey, a dual premiership player with North Melbourne and best-and-fairest winner at Carlton.

Corey will join another brother Matthew and sister Rachel in Adelaide this weekend to watch Shaun play for South Adelaide.

"I’ve had aspirations to play AFL for a long time," the youngest McKernan said. "I think I would have wanted to play AFL anyway, but seeing Corey play spurred me on that little bit more."
Would love to see him get a game at some stage this year. :thumbsu:

IddyBiddy

Club Legend
Sep 24, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Celtic, Seahawks, MCWFC, Thorns
His family must be coming over this weekend to see the Roos play (as well as Smack). It would have been cool to see him debut against the team he supported a la Andy Otten Vs the Hawks. Looking forward to seeing him play.:thumbsu:

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Does anyone know what his current height is? Is he still at the 196cm when he was drafted?

KUNG FU

Norm Smith Medallist
May 31, 2006
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Might have done, IIRC they'll be tested when they get back to training. He had a very good vert leap at DC, so if you're thinking about his ruck prospects, there is always the possibility. Another option I've thought about is playing a single ruckman with Tippett & McKernan taking the contests in the forward and defensive 50s. It could afford us the opportunity to play an extra runner.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back