Past Player - Shaun McKernan

Remove this Banner Ad

Great to hear it C4 - was it implied that he's always liked it here, or that he is now enjoying his time here since things have started to happen for him?
I think it's the latter, When I spoke to him at a BBQ last year (around Sept/Oct) he said he was enjoying his time in Adelaide, however, you could tell that he was just toeing the company line (in my opinion).

However, on this occasion he seems to be genuinely enjoying himself, telling me that he gets along with the playing group really well and is getting the feel of what life as a professional AFL footballer is like (told me that people are only now starting to recognise him when he's out).

Out of the three Walker, Tip and Smack, he is the one that has had to earn his spot.

Has the most ticker out of the three.

Could also have the biggest grudge against the club and want to go. Stuck down at Souths last year. Good to hear he likes it here.
No doubt he has done some seriously gutsy things this year, have loved his work.

Hey guys. Whats going on with Mckernan? reckon he is out of Adelaide next year? My understanding is a 3rd rounder would Nab him. With the Forward/Ruck player, you could think he could of really replaced Tippet. Listed as a good height for a Forward at 196cm's. I guess Lynch, Kerridge have played well with Walker out, and they have shown promise, that when walker comes back in, that wold be a pretty good forward line, and Mckernan would miss out.

Hey guys. Whats going on with Mckernan? reckon he is out of Adelaide next year? My understanding is a 3rd rounder would Nab him. With the Forward/Ruck player, you could think he could of really replaced Tippet. Listed as a good height for a Forward at 196cm's. I guess Lynch, Kerridge have played well with Walker out, and they have shown promise, that when walker comes back in, that wold be a pretty good forward line, and Mckernan would miss out.

If Jenkins' ruckwork doesn't improve then it will be a difficult decision. McKernan can ruck better, Jenkins can play forward better. If we decide only one can play, it's not clear which one it would be, particularly with Walker returning.

Don't know if it would be a third rounder - probably a second rounder at this stage.

If Jenkins' ruckwork doesn't improve then it will be a difficult decision. McKernan can ruck better, Jenkins can play forward better. If we decide only one can play, it's not clear which one it would be, particularly with Walker returning.

Don't know if it would be a third rounder - probably a second rounder at this stage.

wow Stabby!

If we get a 2nd rounder for him I would suggest there would have to be at least a steak knives pick as well. I would think it would take Smack AND a 4th rounder to get a 2nd round pick for him. Don't get me wrong, I still think he might turn out ok, but one good game does not a 2nd round pick make.

Believe me, I'm no fan of McKernan. But he's in the prime age, now has some exposed AFL form, has performed adequately, and frankly a second round pick is not a huge commodity anymore with priority picks and 18 teams.

As for a 4th rounder, that's chump change. If a 4th rounder was the difference between getting a 2nd round pick or not, you'd throw it in and not even care about the loss. By the time you're out in the 70s or so, it's no real difference if you delay your pick until the 80s instead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

wow Stabby!

If we get a 2nd rounder for him I would suggest there would have to be at least a steak knives pick as well. I would think it would take Smack AND a 4th rounder to get a 2nd round pick for him. Don't get me wrong, I still think he might turn out ok, but one good game does not a 2nd round pick make.
You mean Smack and a 2nd rounder .. to get a slightly lower 2nd rounder?;)

You mean Smack and a 2nd rounder .. to get a slightly lower 2nd rounder?;)
I know it was in jest, but that trade if Adelaide finish 8th u guys would gain possibly a extra 6 spots on ur second round pick. Not much, but if struggling, u get something for him. U thought he showed a bit if promise against Sydney yesterday. Game was over but he was ur leadin goal kicker with 2 goals.
He definitely shows potential. Was watching him and Jesse white.

I know it was in jest, but that trade if Adelaide finish 8th u guys would gain possibly a extra 6 spots on ur second round pick. Not much, but if struggling, u get something for him. U thought he showed a bit if promise against Sydney yesterday. Game was over but he was ur leadin goal kicker with 2 goals.
He definitely shows potential. Was watching him and Jesse white.
Actually, I thought yesterday was one of his best games for the blue, red & gold. I wouldn't say that he was good (very few Crows were good last night) - but he wasn't our worst player last night, by any standards.

Actually, I thought yesterday was one of his best games for the blue, red & gold. I wouldn't say that he was good (very few Crows were good last night) - but he wasn't our worst player last night, by any standards.
He seeming to lead well and has strong hands. And think his kicking action seemed good.

Don't know what the fuss is with mckernan he can't play we have given him 5 years especially this year no walker in his way why isn't he at least kicking 2-3 goals I'm sorry but 1 goal a game is not good enough for what's expected of him

2-3 goals a game is a heavy ask that not many forwards in the comp achieve - that would put him on song for 50+ goals a season.

The bigger issue with McKernan is that he doesn't seem to have any idea how to remain in a game. He'll affect the game for a five minute burst, and then do nothing for two quarters. If you're going to be that sort of player (Walker comes to mind) you have to be a hell of a lot more potent than McKernan (again, Walker comes to mind).

That's what his potential should be offering though and other key forwards do kick 2-3 Goals a game look at Cloke, Kennedy, j.riewoldt they are all super consistent

That's what his potential should be offering though and other key forwards do kick 2-3 Goals a game look at Cloke, Kennedy, j.riewoldt they are all super consistent
They're also the best forwards in the competition. How about comparing like with like.. Say comparing McKernan with Dawes, or someone equally spud-like?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back