Past Player - Brodie Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Broadie Martin

Here's a pic:

25769167.jpg

http://www.newsphotos.com.au/ImageDetail.asp?RefNum=25769167

BOG in Under 19s Prelim and kicked two in a losing GF side.

Re: Broadie Martin

Ok, due to friends I would have seen as much Sturt Under 19s action as anyone whose not directly involved and I can't say this one particularly jumps to mind.

I'll speak to some friends over the day and find out more information:thumbsu:

Re: Brodie Martin

He might want to take down that MSN addy displayed on his profile.

Definately a massive Greg Gallman vibe had only played a handful of 19's games when we rookied him and wasn't outstanding but was a great athlete!

Would have liked to see us pick up his Sturt teammate John McDonald, I saw him a few times on tv this season and he looked to be a quality young player, featured in Sturts best a couple of times, but we went for someone still playing U'19s there must be something about Brodie, can anyone shed any light?

http://www.afl.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=54203

No rush for rookies says Rendell 3:07 PM Tue 11 December, 2007 | Back
By Katrina Gill
for afc.com.au

Possibly the lesser known of the four is Meningie boy Brodie Martin from SANFL club Sturt.

Martin is the oldest of the rookies, but Rendell said the 19-year-old still had work to do on his light frame before being ready for the AFL.

“Brodie is another quick midfielder with a lot of skill and a lot of courage. He had a pretty average first half of the year and he wasn’t really on our radar at all - we didn’t notice him. But he played a few outstanding games on the wing in the Sturt under 19s late in the year,” Rendell said.

“He had a really good finals series, gained a lot of confidence and really came along in leaps and bounds. We think he’ll be a pretty handy player.”
All four are midfield types, but as was the case in the NAB AFL Draft, it wasn’t a deliberate ploy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: #41 - Brodie Martin

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,23124693-21543,00.html

WHEN an AFL club conducts its pre-season testing, it's not uncommon to find the rookies bringing up the tail of the field.
But the situation couldn't be more different at West Lakes.
Crows rookies Ed Curnow and Brodie Martin have been upstaging their more experienced team-mates and it hasn't gone unnoticed....

...Martin, who was the Crows' last choice in the rookie draft from Sturt, displayed his pace off the mark by being the fastest of all players tested post-Christmas in the 20m sprint.
"It's always a challenge for the young guys, a lot of them do come from a long way back," Schwerdt said. "So it's sometimes a challenge for them to assimilate into an AFL training program but they've (Curnow and Martin) done it remarkably well."

Tony Armstrong (North) and Brodie Martin (Sturt) had low possession games.
The Crows drafted an overage guy on the back of a few under 19 games late last year. At the half way point of the year they had no interest. Interesting decision. Obviously it's the last pick of the rookie draft, can't be too harsh, but I see James Turner dominating for South and I wonder...

The Crows drafted an overage guy on the back of a few under 19 games late last year. At the half way point of the year they had no interest. Interesting decision. Obviously it's the last pick of the rookie draft, can't be too harsh, but I see James Turner dominating for South and I wonder...
Rookie draft is exactly that mate.

8/10 never make it onto the senior list. It's basically a bit of trial and error.

They see something, they want to develop it under their system for 12-24 months, then they go from there.

If we were upgrading 4 rookies per year we'd have to delist about 8 people per year to fit our normal draftees in as well.

Wouldn't be too worried.

Rookie draft is exactly that mate.

8/10 never make it onto the senior list. It's basically a bit of trial and error.

They see something, they want to develop it under their system for 12-24 months, then they go from there.

If we were upgrading 4 rookies per year we'd have to delist about 8 people per year to fit our normal draftees in as well.

Wouldn't be too worried.
except that 1 year, when we got Rutten, Bock and Mattner on the rookie list in 2002 :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:.

except that 1 year, when we got Rutten, Bock and Mattner on the rookie list in 2002 :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:.

That was an amazing year, I still can't believe we picked up a gun FB, a gun CHB and whilst Mattner is gone now, he still played 98 games, what were these blokes doing that year to allow us to pick them all up so cheaply? Slashing recruiting managers tyres or something?

That was an amazing year, I still can't believe we picked up a gun FB, a gun CHB and whilst Mattner is gone now, he still played 98 games, what were these blokes doing that year to allow us to pick them all up so cheaply? Slashing recruiting managers tyres or something?
all south australian, so crows had all the inside information they needed.

Watch him pretty carefully each week, usually get to the sturt games in time to watch the second half of the ressies.

I know he is only playing reserves but his form is improving, and he got BOG yesterday against North.

He looks good, likes to kick goals and has pretty good skills. Still quite small though. I think his main problem is the strenght and depth of the league team.

Hopefully he gets a run at some stage this year. Rick has been pretty good with rewarding players for good form in the ressies.

Stumbled across this on the SANFL website:

R15 COCA-COLA STAR SEARCH NOMINATION
Brodie Martin from the Sturt Football Club has been named the Round Fifteen Coca-Cola Star Search Award nominee.

In just his second League match, Martin played an outstanding game in Sturt’s 70 point thrashing over South Adelaide in Murray Bridge on Sunday.

Playing on the wing, Martin gained 20 possessions and his pace and tidy delivery of the ball assisted Sturt’s impressive midfield in enabling a smooth transition of the ball through to their strong forwards. His delivery contributed to Sturt’s high scoring in Sunday’s match.

More here

After actually having seen him play twice now, he is a gun. If he continues this form, there is no doubt he will at least be maintained on the rookie list.

After actually having seen him play twice now, he is a gun. If he continues this form, there is no doubt he will at least be maintained on the rookie list.
you mean upgraded at year's end? or is he still another year away from playing afl.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back