Fraser McInnes (2012 -2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

McInnes has been named in the extended squad to take on the Bulldogs this weekend. Perth has the bye so even if he doesn't make the final 22 he will probably fly over anyway for the experience.

If he does debut, he will become the 214th player to appear for the Eagles, and the fourth in his extended family (after uncles Michael Brennan and Rob Wiley, and cousin Jacob Brennan). He'll also be the fourth player to wear the #36 after Jewf Hart, Phil Read and Callum Wilson.

[/randomstats]

McInnes has been named in the extended squad to take on the Bulldogs this weekend. Perth has the bye so even if he doesn't make the final 22 he will probably fly over anyway for the experience.

If he does debut, he will become the 214th player to appear for the Eagles, and the fourth in his extended family (after uncles Michael Brennan and Rob Wiley, and cousin Jacob Brennan). He'll also be the fourth player to wear the #36 after Jewf Hart, Phil Read and Callum Wilson.

[/randomstats]

Wow, since he missed out on that chance at a debut a few players have gone past him. If he survives the cut tomorrow and plays in the derby, he'll now be the 223rd Eagles player. But just the second Fraser, and still just the fourth pkayer in the #36 which hasn't been seen at senior level since Callum Wilson's last game all the way back in 2010

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-04-27/fouryear-wait-fine-for-debutant-mcinnes

AFTER waiting four years to make his senior debut, West Coast big man Fraser McInnes says he wouldn't have had it any other way.

McInnes was drafted with pick No.28 in the 2011 NAB AFL Draft, but racked up 62 WAFL games with Perth and East Perth, and seven pre-season matches with West Coast, before finally cracking the big time.

He gathered 15 touches, pulled down eight marks and kicked a goal on debut in the Eagles' 53-point win.

McInnes said it was an amazing experience.

"It was definitely worth the wait," he said.

"It was a journey for me getting there. I took my time to play my first game but I've loved my time at the club so I wouldn't have had it any other way.

"It was a great experience, great to have a win. It was a really proud moment."

McInnes said he did have his doubts whether he would ever get his chance but he always believed he had the ability to play well at AFL level.

"You have a little self-doubt creep in," McInnes said.

"But I've always had that underlying belief in my abilities that I'd be able to perform at the top level.

"That's a start. I've got to build from that."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

According to Key's and his excellent pre-season reporting, McInnes did some light ruck work at training today. Is Fraser about to make the leap to back up ruck at East Perth? Time will only tell.

McInnes cyborg confirmed.

327194_ed4038e927c7865f6575eb38999478a9.jpg

West Coast have wisely provided a player update on Big Frase:

Summary:
  • He's disappointed to have been demoted to the rookie list but Frase is more than happy to stay at West Coast, the club he's always supported.
  • Mid last year he injured his hamstring while playing WAFL and missed 6 weeks. He then re-injured the hamstring in the elimination final against the Thunder.
  • He had off-season surgery on the hammy and now it's feeling really good.
  • Pre-season training has been more forward based at this stage but he expects to transition into some ruck work as well. Big Frase says a 60/40 split between forward and ruck is where he expects to land.
  • His aim for the year is to play AFL football. That's always the aim.

TD;DR: The AFL is about to be taken my storm.

Another day and another excellent training report from keys and company.

Predictably McInnes features prominently:

"Apart from the 1st year players not being involved in everything to manage their workload and McInnes and Giles sneaking off to the top oval to play with each other briefly, everyone else participated fully so we have good numbers on the track."

"It's entirely possible that we go into a game this year with Petrie and McInnes as our ruck division which is a sobering thought"

So there you have it, McInnes is a lock for round 1.

My shameless theft of all things McInnes continues but nobody has said anything yet (or visited this thread).

Here's a picture of the great man at training today. Notice how he's about to take the ball out of the throw in and go for a run down the wing?

328374_a063887c13c7210f3033f3e2b05ecc74.jpg

McInnes gets another mention in a Keys training report and it's relatively high praise!

"Nice pass from Shuey to McInnes who kicks his second for the day in a decent performance" - Keys

Wow, things are looking up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back