Review #36: Matthew McDonough

Remove this Banner Ad

Exactly, newy is apart of that bad lot, so thats why he should get a run the young fella

Because as others have been saying, he's not putting in hard enough on the track

If he's not prepared to do the 1%ers to earn a spot, why gift him a start? That's the s**t club used to do

Because as others have been saying, he's not putting in hard enough on the track

If he's not prepared to do the 1%ers to earn a spot, why gift him a start? That's the s**t club used to do
But Newy isn't doing enough to earn or keep his spot either.

He shouldn't have been bought back in in the first place, then a kid sees him getting special treatment and goes "whats the point, I work my arse off and this old campaigner gets a game anyway"

But Newy isn't doing enough to earn or keep his spot either.

He shouldn't have been bought back in in the first place, then a kid sees him getting special treatment and goes "whats the point, I work my arse off and this old campaigner gets a game anyway"

What special treatment?

Donuts is obviously being told "work on this" and he isn't. Do you know of Newman defying the club like that?

Think of it this way...

You have two pieces of fruit...

The first used to look a million dollars, you could bet it tasted great, was everything u wanted in a piece of fruit. HOWEVER this bit of fruit has become rotten, it is lucky to be 10% of its former glory, certainly wouldn't taste anywhere near as good and in its lifespan has no way of getting back to its former glory.

The second piece, we its nowhere near developed enough just yet, small in shape, not so great in looks just yet either, but it has potential. It could grow into what the first fruit was in its prime, no guarantees, but there is a possibility, when we have already established the first piece will never get back there.

Now you can only keep one bit of fruit, the other goes in the bin, what do you keep, the piece that used to be fantastic, but is now rotten with NO chance of getting its former glory back, or do you give the younger piece of fruit a go, try and nurture it and see if it grows into what the first piece of fruit used to be. Given that NEITHER fruit is providing you what you want at the moment, which piece do you hang onto???

For me its clearly the young piece of fruit with possibilities rather than the old rotten one no matter how good it used to be...

What special treatment?

Donuts is obviously being told "work on this" and he isn't. Do you know of Newman defying the club like that?

And you have proof of this???

Newman, well I assume he is being told to play his role in our team defensive structures but his isn't.
The special treatment was him getting put back in the 1's when HIS FORM clearly wasn't any better than a NUMBER of blokes in the 2's

Newman, well I assume he is being told to play his role in our team defensive structures but his isn't.
The special treatment was him getting put back in the 1's when HIS FORM clearly wasn't any better than a NUMBER of blokes in the 2's

1) he has a gut

2) he's not being promoted

What proof do you have that NEWMAN is getting Special treatment just because he is getting a game

:D
Great factual response

I think 95% of BF posters would love to be sporting his "gut"

It's the era of pockets having to flood back and forward all day, and you can't do that if your carrying too much pudding

And before you bring up Swan, not all guts come about from beers and pies ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They are carrying on like he has been given a tough run at it by being ignored for consistently good footy in the twos.
Fact is he's been disappointing.
He has been afforded the opportunity.
This is what really shits me.
The minute you are drafted you have a great opportunity.
Obviously he could be working s lot harder. There are 40 other blokes fighting to have an AFL career on the list and there are always those who just don't get it.its over before they know it.
Everything they did pre being drafted is irrelevant.
Then people get sucked into feeling sorry for them as though they didn't get a fair go.

Just because some posters are wanting to see McDonagh given a go in the firsts doesn't mean 'they are carrying on'
How do you know how hard he works ?
What do you know that others don't?
As plebs, all we know are his performance/ numbers in the VFL...not speculation

Give him a go for a few games...if he sucks...then off with his head..if not, he is a keeper and demand he works on his application

What the club has been doing for too long is keeping players on for too long. Newman is yet another example of this
Overpaying for rubbish output and paying the bigger price for the loss of development in a kid
Brad Sewell and Bailey would be still on our list ,but not at Hawthorn They instantly move on and upgrade. No player should be bigger than the club
This is unless you're a RFC player is our motto
Newmans last two games were worse than Relton Roberts first AFL game and I'm serious

What the club has been doing for too long is keeping players on for too long. Newman is yet another example of this
Overpaying for rubbish output and paying the bigger price for the loss of development in a kid
Brad Sewell and Bailey would be still on our list ,but not at Hawthorn They instantly move on and upgrade. No player should be bigger than the club
This is unless you're a RFC player is our motto
Newmans last two games were worse than Relton Roberts first AFL game and I'm serious
Relton Roberts...gold :thumbsu:

Think of it this way...

You have two pieces of fruit...

The first used to look a million dollars, you could bet it tasted great, was everything u wanted in a piece of fruit. HOWEVER this bit of fruit has become rotten, it is lucky to be 10% of its former glory, certainly wouldn't taste anywhere near as good and in its lifespan has no way of getting back to its former glory.

The second piece, we its nowhere near developed enough just yet, small in shape, not so great in looks just yet either, but it has potential. It could grow into what the first fruit was in its prime, no guarantees, but there is a possibility, when we have already established the first piece will never get back there.

Now you can only keep one bit of fruit, the other goes in the bin, what do you keep, the piece that used to be fantastic, but is now rotten with NO chance of getting its former glory back, or do you give the younger piece of fruit a go, try and nurture it and see if it grows into what the first piece of fruit used to be. Given that NEITHER fruit is providing you what you want at the moment, which piece do you hang onto???

For me its clearly the young piece of fruit with possibilities rather than the old rotten one no matter how good it used to be...

I'd take the old fruit, and convert it into something alcoholic.

:D
Great factual response

I think 95% of BF posters would love to be sporting his "gut"

But how many AFL players would?

He needs to be in tip top condition to be an AFL footballer, not a keyboard warrior....

Personally I'd like to see him given a go as a forward/mid but I'd also like to see burning desire to make it. That would include being in fantastic physical shape. There is a spot there for him if and so far it's clearly a big if.... if he takes it. It won't be just given to him and neither should it.

I accept what you are saying and would suggest they are a greater chance of being promoted due to Edwards injury but it wouldn't surprise me if the decision is to elevate whomever the club believes is the safest and best defensive minded player . The club has appeared , rightly IMO , to have taken a stronger stance on picking players who make less errors / turnovers and defensive errors . The game plan is now on reducing errors and preventing easy goals to the opposition , which ultimately sees the opposition take stupid risks which sees the ge open up offensively in our advantage often later in games . Gordan for this reason should come under done scrutiny .
I this era of zones and stopping oppo exit strategies, having just 1 player not do their job really hurts the team, so its not surprising that clubs value this as a priority even over natural talent.

Chris Newman has the ability to make the correct decision at the right time at key moments and when the heat is in . This is the key point everyone seems to miss when evualating players on state footy . Ability to make smart decisions when the heat is on , because when they make that step up , the heat is always on .
When Newman or any other regular starts turning the ball over at key points of the game or their opponent starts having a greater impact their time is up .
In regards to games watched of these particular players, I have seen enough to form an opinion , more than happy for you to bookmark my posts from time to time and trace my record if you like.
Cant you read !!!

I asked you a question . You dont reply to what i asked you but you quote my post with dribble about bloody chris newman

What you wrote about newman and the #1 in the Richmond jumper the last 2 weeks is not the same player

Newman is finished and should stop being selfish and running out each week - I love Chris Newman as the Captain and player of my club but the crap he has brought to the field this year has diluted my opinion of him

Either answer the question that you quote or dont bother quoting my posts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back