Delisted 37. Michael Luxford (2014-2016)

Remove this Banner Ad

Hopefully the purpose of the B class rookie is understood.

It's an AFL PR exercise to entice the cream of other sports to the AFL.
It's a way for the AFL to promote to other sportsmen, hey there is more money in the AFL for starters if you happen to make it onto the primary list. And it's a chance for AFL clubs to have a free swing at them.

How that represents any downside for the GFC has got me stuffed.

Like others have said, let's wish this kid well, and hope he works hard enough to give himself a chance.
Obviously Blicavs worked his backside off, but that's the point, other elite sportsman are more likely to.
In some ways these guys might have a better attitude as an example, given their more elite status in their own sports, than guys who are ranked over 100 as a rookie in any given draft season of the AFL.

It all get's down to whether they can play or not of course and our record so far there with B class rookies is good enough to suggest this is worth a try for a kid of this age, with that skill background.
And obviously the club have run him through some skill tests of their own with a football in hand :thumbsu:

We seem to have picked an ideal profile for a B Class Rookie - exceptional athlete , great size and with a skill set that should translate well as a Point Guard - ball handling , touch , decision making , spacial awareness and a rebounder to boot - seems there's a lot to like there. Let's all get around him and wish him well , as Meto has said he's only a kid so give him some time.

Good little nutshell F2G, sometimes watching the youngsters develop is more exciting than seniors footy.

Hopefully the purpose of the B class rookie is understood.

It's an AFL PR exercise to entice the cream of other sports to the AFL.
It's a way for the AFL to promote to other sportsmen, hey there is more money in the AFL for starters if you happen to make it onto the primary list. And it's a chance for AFL clubs to have a free swing at them.

How that represents any downside for the GFC has got me stuffed.

Like others have said, let's wish this kid well, and hope he works hard enough to give himself a chance.
Obviously Blicavs worked his backside off, but that's the point, other elite sportsman are more likely to.
In some ways these guys might have a better attitude as an example, given their more elite status in their own sports, than guys who are ranked over 100 as a rookie in any given draft season of the AFL.

It all get's down to whether they can play or not of course and our record so far there with B class rookies is good enough to suggest this is worth a try for a kid of this age, with that skill background.
And obviously the club have run him through some skill tests of their own with a football in hand :thumbsu:

Agreed. I think with any category B rookie (with the possible exception of Johnny Rayner this year, a pretty unique example), the risk is that they won't even be up to the standard in the VFL. While Bathie wasn't what you'd call a success with the Cats, he certainly held his own in the reserves and there were times when he didn't look too far off it. I don't think he was a failure.

So that's about it. Luxford's goal should be to hold his own in the VFL in 2014. And if he can do that, it's very promising for the remainder of his time on the rookie list. Because he's only going to get better.

Agreed. I think with any category B rookie (with the possible exception of Johnny Rayner this year, a pretty unique example), the risk is that they won't even be up to the standard in the VFL. While Bathie wasn't what you'd call a success with the Cats, he certainly held his own in the reserves and there were times when he didn't look too far off it. I don't think he was a failure.

So that's about it. Luxford's goal should be to hold his own in the VFL in 2014. And if he can do that, it's very promising for the remainder of his time on the rookie list. Because he's only going to get better.

You would think with his younger age than Bathie that he could spend 3 years as a B Rookie and move to the senior list ( if warranted) as a 21 year old. Another year running around at 22 and he is fully developed and fit. I know its a long time but for such low risk on the front end, and granted by then a fair time investment, he could yield good things.

Go Catters

You would think with his younger age than Bathie that he could spend 3 years as a B Rookie and move to the senior list ( if warranted) as a 21 year old. Another year running around at 22 and he is fully developed and fit. I know its a long time but for such low risk on the front end, and granted by then a fair time investment, he could yield good things.

Go Catters

Yep. If Bathie had started on the rookie list at age 20, it would have been very interesting to see what the Cats would have done with him at the end of last year. My guess is it would have been a very close decision between him, Burbury and possibly one of the incumbents on the senior list (Cowan, Schroder).

"No prior football experience" makes me wonder.

Mate as a person who knows him I can tell you this, Mickey has had people telling him he would be perfect for footy for years. He is an outstanding sports man who already has a above average set of skills for someone who hasnt played a competitive game of footy, his awareness from his basketball background is second to none. I cant wait to see him play his first game. With strong core and solid body like his, he is destined to be a midfielder! All the best Mickey! Couldn't have happened to a better bloke!

Didn't Ranga have big hammy issues at some point too? Never fully got going from what I recall… Happy to be corrected?
Ripped the hammy from the bone in a reserves match - was out for months. When he came back, he really lacked confidence in the leg. I dare say the medical staff decided that he was always going to have trouble from there on, so he was cut.

It can be a cruel business.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like a super talent,. However mby the sounds of it, his talent and size have created a natural path for him to dominate effortlessly. In footy he is going to be challenged like he has never been challenged before - it's not unusual for precocious children to end up on the scrap heap in adult life once talent alone is no longer sufficient.

Mate as a person who knows him I can tell you this, Mickey has had people telling him he would be perfect for footy for years. He is an outstanding sports man who already has a above average set of skills for someone who hasnt played a competitive game of footy, his awareness from his basketball background is second to none. I cant wait to see him play his first game. With strong core and solid body like his, he is destined to be a midfielder! All the best Mickey! Couldn't have happened to a better bloke!

Cool. That means I'm ready to be a top level tennis player, golfer and boxer as well (although I have boxed).

You can't rank his skills until he plays properly. Otherwise it's just spin.

Were would his best position be? Half forward, midfield, wing or maybe even in the back line.
As an inside mid is my guess, would have good hands and vision given his basketball background.
Also has a solid build already and would be used to being surrounded by big bodies but getting to ball out to free players on the outside.

Guys who play their whole lives and never get the chance must be filthy guys like this get an opportunity. Chris Cain dominates the VFL and can't get a look in! Surely under a full time environment a player like him develops further into a handy AFL player? I do like the Cat B rookies though, and hope this fella can turn out half as good as blitz has so far!

A lot of the lads that dont make it from the lower levels, dont, because they have some flaws that dont translate well to the top level, often with disposal. Also if it came down to it, most clubs probably wouldnt pick a Bics or Luxford over someone like Cain if the rules didnt specifically call for it. This is a no brainer for the Cats. They try out the kid, he looks good, so they sign him up and just pay him a base wage - which for a kid that age is actually some good $$$. If he works out - Bics - then you have a winner, if he doesnt you havent really lost anything.

Were would his best position be? Half forward, midfield, wing or maybe even in the back line.

Mickeys best position will be upforward in the first instance (pocket, flank) due to his speed and as he can kick either feet. Later though (has gr8 stamina on bball court), can see him playing midfield. Perhaps play upforward on the smaller grounds eg. Etihad but midfield/wing on the bigger grounds eg. the MCG.

Mickey has said he believes he is more natural a footballer than basketballer. Now if his basketball skillset particularly the fact from watching his basketball where he is lightning fast (when he needs to be) and also his balance (contested ball - when he gets his hands on it has superstrong hands and always stays on feet). These attributes will easily transfer over to football.

Mickey just needs to play some "games" of footy 2014 (at any level), with big upside 2015.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back