Delisted #37: Sean Gregory

Remove this Banner Ad

In big trouble hasn't done the required work in the weight room.
My source is close to Sean himself. That's the general feeling Sean got from his exit interview. Hasn't been told anything yet.

I wouldn't be phased either way. Delist him, and retain him as a rookie, or just delist him. Should not be taking up a senior spot IMO.

Wondering if Kakkle has any update on whether we are going to demote him (to the rookie list) or if we have cut him completely?

Not sure mate. I'm in the USA at the moment :D

Have just seen a report, stating that he, along with Hardingham and Rayner have been delisted. Haven't seen it anywhere else though, so y'know, grain of salt

Seems like a missed opportunity, he had an interesting combination of attributes that could have been worth persisting with. Unless of course there were issues less obvious to those of us looking in from the outside like his attitude or whatever.

The writing was on the wall when he came back from injury. He looked totally lost on the field except for a few decent quarters against McBean.

I like those above saw something to work with that would have translated into the sort of versatile tall that could play on tall and small opponents and truly replace Fletcher.

Was hoping that we'd rookie him to give him 12 to 24 months to develop further but given the premium on list spots it was inevitable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No other issues. He trained as required and played to instrucions. This season was derailled by inept medical deparment who misdiagnosed his lower hamstring injury. Bomber loved him and all indications when he has recruited that he was going to be a 3-4 year project. The club in last few weeks have done a massive back flip with no limited foresight to the future. As a parent I hate bullshit artists when they have such an impact on your son's career. Shabby treatment by Essendon in my opinion. I have let player welfare manager know my concerns and hopefully they don't treat any player like this in future.

No other issues. He trained as required and played to instrucions. This season was derailled by inept medical deparment who misdiagnosed his lower hamstring injury. Bomber loved him and all indications when he has recruited that he was going to be a 3-4 year project. The club in last few weeks have done a massive back flip with no limited foresight to the future. As a parent I hate bullshit artists when they have such an impact on your son's career. Shabby treatment by Essendon in my opinion. I have let player welfare manager know my concerns and hopefully they don't treat any player like this in future.
Very concerning if true.

The player welfare manager at Essendon was even surprised he was delisted. I don't follow essendon but if I did I would very concerned about young tall guys coming through. They have obviously embarked on a plan where they think they dont have to develop their talls and they will cherry pick other teams for tall KP players. That press release from Kerr is pathetic he wouldn't even know who Sean Gregory or Johnny Rayner are.

Inept medical department? Come off it.

Guess what, I know its personally not a nice thing to get tossed out of an AFL side, but geez mate - welcome to the big leagues. He is not the first and won't be the last player to be given his marching orders - even when under the impression it wasn't going to happen.

I'm not entirely sure on the number, but every year hundreds, if not thousands of players are putting their hands up to be drafted, and all do so under the belief they can play AFL footy. Only a fraction get picked up (lucky blokes), and still even less of them actually have what it takes to play at a high level.

All indications were he is a project player? The squeeze is on at Essendon - we're going to take the bare minimum of picks at the draft as it is - and unfortunately Gregory was in the firing line as an uncontracted player right at the bottom of the list.

The player welfare manager at Essendon was even surprised he was delisted. I don't follow essendon but if I did I would very concerned about young tall guys coming through. They have obviously embarked on a plan where they think they dont have to develop their talls and they will cherry pick other teams for tall KP players. That press release from Kerr is pathetic he wouldn't even know who Sean Gregory or Johnny Rayner are.

So he was delisted. And? Think most of us saw that coming. It's not to say he's anything short of a nice kid, but by my eyes he was most certainly short as an AFL player. Who knows, maybe he'll get another gig (stranger things have happened) but if I was a betting man I'd say no dice.

And as for being worried about our tall players, your concern is appreciated but, you know:

434352-23742586-dfed-11e3-9096-801fbb4e8d9b.jpg

AFL+Rd+8+Essendon+v+Brisbane+qPKf9BaPgUxx.jpg

hurley-4.jpg

CH3.jpg

I reckon we're doing just fine.

sick

Inept medical department? Come off it.

Guess what, I know its personally not a nice thing to get tossed out of an AFL side, but geez mate - welcome to the big leagues. He is not the first and won't be the last player to be given his marching orders - even when under the impression it wasn't going to happen.

I'm not entirely sure on the number, but every year hundreds, if not thousands of players are putting their hands up to be drafted, and all do so under the belief they can play AFL footy. Only a fraction get picked up (lucky blokes), and still even less of them actually have what it takes to play at a high level.

All indications were he is a project player? The squeeze is on at Essendon - we're going to take the bare minimum of picks at the draft as it is - and unfortunately Gregory was in the firing line as an uncontracted player right at the bottom of the list.

So he was delisted. And? Think most of us saw that coming. It's not to say he's anything short of a nice kid, but by my eyes he was most certainly short as an AFL player. Who knows, maybe he'll get another gig (stranger things have happened) but if I was a betting man I'd say no dice.

And as for being worried about our tall players, your concern is appreciated but, you know:

434352-23742586-dfed-11e3-9096-801fbb4e8d9b.jpg

AFL+Rd+8+Essendon+v+Brisbane+qPKf9BaPgUxx.jpg

hurley-4.jpg

CH3.jpg

I reckon we're doing just fine.
Don't forget about the beachcomber
medium.jpg

Don't take it too personally.

The club is over anxious to make up for the debacles of 2012 and 2013 and there has been a pretty big shift in the last few weeks.

We've gone for a substantial top up to run at a flag and have run out of list spots. It's not just Gwilt and Cooney. Just look at the re-signings were have pushing so hard for. A guy who wants to walk away from footy because his body is stuffed (Winderlich) and a surplus to needs midfielder we could have traded out for overs (Howlett) but fought to keep. Then there is a 40 year old third tall defender who we've got at least Gwilt on the list to cover (with Pears' body being fragile) with Steinberg and Van Unen having survived to this point.

The cynical part of me wonders how much these re-signings were about managing the perception of an exodus and Hird proving just how persuasive/popular he is (and I'm a massive Hird supporter before anyone jumps down my throat, he is only human though).

Less cynically, it must also be very hard to look some of these older guys in the face and move them on when we have put them through hell and back (which is not to lessen the pressures that Sean must have felt but he was at least fortunate enough to be drafted a year after the supplements debacle).

The problem for Sean is that he was easily the furthest from being a viable AFL selection in 2015 and maybe even 2016 (which is not to say that he wouldn't have made it) and we already brought in one guy to cover Fletcher with Steinberg and Gregory obviously still being looked at to cover Fletcher. At the moment we're looking at 1 best 22 position for the price or 3.5 list spots (allowing for the fact that Steinberg is a rookie).

Not that it changes much from you perspective but I really doubt that this would have happened if we were a little more responsible/thorough in 2012.

I don't take anything personally. Life goes on and after all it is just a game. All the best people in the future, it's been interesting reading all your varied views over the last 2 years.

Best of luck to the young fella though.

Couple years in the state league, a few kilos - who knows. Clubs are loving mature age recruits right now....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back