Past #37: Tim McGenniss - officially delisted by North Melbourne (31/10/14)

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome to the club young man. Work your arse off and you'll get opportunities

So we've got another new skinny teenager?

Congrats son, all the best, go out and kill them etc. etc.
McGenniss screams bona fide Teffy blue-collared hard-nosed midfielder. He reminds me of Ed Lower. You'll love him.

He is a midfield "prime mover", with a skill set is described as talent every club would be looking for.

Playing for Dandenong, every recruiter would have analysed him in 2012, where he has now won the B&F.

Yet 18 clubs (including us) pass over him in the top 100 players for the main draft despite all the above.

What am I missing? Does he have a really bad weakness?

Especially if you compare him to someone like Wilkins, who we picked up in advance, it doesn't really make sense so be interested to know why.....(dont get me wrong, im happy with the selection if the write ups are accurate)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is a midfield "prime mover", with a skill set is described as talent every club would be looking for.

Playing for Dandenong, every recruiter would have analysed him in 2012, where he has now won the B&F.

Yet 18 clubs (including us) pass over him in the top 100 players for the main draft despite all the above.

What am I missing? Does he have a really bad weakness?

Especially if you compare him to someone like Wilkins, who we picked up in advance, it doesn't really make sense so be interested to know why.....
Probably a little 'vanilla' with no stand out traits perhaps?

Comparison to Wilkins would be that Wilkins was on the verge of a senior SANFL call up before he did his shoulder despite only playing a handful of reserves games, indicating a fair ability off the back flank. Mcgenniss sounds like a hard worker and effort footballer although I have no basis for comparison other than the info at hand. Would appreciate some feedback from TAC watchers.

Did a bit o' rootin' around on the drafts and trades board and found these little tidbits:

from knightmare
Had a strong season. Quayle might be onto something. From all reports a very hard trainer and wants it.

Really hard inside player won wins his own ball and very good clearance player. Really good fit into a midfield rotation.

Not one of the bigger names and I have him more as a later draft selection but he could be a good get and if being mentioned as a potential 2nd rounder I can only assume he interviewed very well.

Snoop Dog
Like most Dandy kids that go well he is a very good ball winner who excels around the clearances. I have just off the back end of the draft bc I think history says some of these guys end up in the rookie draft or head to state league for a bit.

Chris25
I haven't paid him much attention, because he has never really jumped out and demanded it for me. He just strikes me as a solid player - good at most things, great at few. From what I can remember, he has decent speed, decent skills, decent ball winning ability. See where I'm going? I had him as a rookie option, but like I've said before the draft is quite open after the top 40 - so who knows where he'll go.

Chris25

I haven't paid him much attention, because he has never really jumped out and demanded it for me. He just strikes me as a solid player - good at most things, great at few. From what I can remember, he has decent speed, decent skills, decent ball winning ability. See where I'm going? I had him as a rookie option, but like I've said before the draft is quite open after the top 40 - so who knows where he'll go.

This is probably how the footy world looked at Sam Gibson years ago.

It's all up to the kid to follow Gibbos lead and do the work now.

Thanks Tron, good work.

Sounds like he is an honest type of player and has an excellent attitude (but maybe not with anything special to get recruiters to take notice), so that is an ideal choice for a rookie spot :thumbsu:

Sounds like he is an honest type of player and has an excellent attitude (but maybe not with anything special to get recruiters to take notice), so that is an ideal choice for a rookie spot :thumbsu:
Exactly.

Mullett was vanilla. Adams was vanilla. McMahon. Firrito. Gibson. All "vanilla".

We do a good job at turning "vanilla" footballers into wonderfully talented core members of a team.

Mullett was vanilla. Adams was vanilla. McMahon. Firrito. Gibson. All "vanilla".

We do a good job at turning "vanilla" footballers into wonderfully talented core members of a team.

Agreed with all that...

However, I remember being quite excited the first time I saw the highlights package of Mullett. He just seemed neat. I'm still very hopeful he's a fair bit off the peak of his abilities.

Human trait I realise, but when these vanilla guys are 'performing their role' they're loved; drop off a few % and they get hammered very quickly. I guess it helps to keep them sharp.

Agreed with all that...

However, I remember being quite excited the first time I saw the highlights package of Mullett. He just seemed neat. I'm still very hopeful he's a fair bit off the peak of his abilities.

I had the same impression.

Scotty McMahon was an AA under 18 player. I wouldn't rate him as "vanilla"

Welcome aboard TMac. I look forward to the video of DMac introducing TMac to JMac, BMac and SMac. We could end up with a highland dancing backline at this rate!
LMac approves of this post.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back