Past #37: Will Fordham - pick 33 '14 Rookie Draft - thanks for your service WIll

Remove this Banner Ad

I did a bit of asking around. The quote from my source:

"Tall, fast, balanced. Good skills on both sides. He's so bloody fit!"

So that's a thumbs up.
Very excited about this guy, like you say Fordham is very fit and runs a 15+ beep test and is quick also, perfect athlete and has all the tools to be a very good outside midfielder

Last edited:
The more i watch Will's highlight package (3min one not the cut down 50 sec one) the more i worry this kid has an issue that will stop him reaching the highest level.

Here are my concerns, i've overlooked a few options when he could/should have used the left but went right where it was a 60/40 split and not all bad. And yes i acknowledge this is only from 3 mins of vision, but it really really stands out to me.

From the 3 min package on the North website (NOT the youtube one)
http://www.nmfc.com.au/video/2014-12-03/rookie-draft-will-fordham-highlights

0:40 - Gets pushed out on left, easy outside option off the left foot or hands, goes into and across traffic onto the right and inside.

0:46 - Pushed onto left, kicks right.

1:15 - Again, easy left kick, goes back into traffic and across the body to kick right.

1:30 - Wont kick off the left again, uses awkward left hands.

1:49 - Easy left kick to team mates advantage, goes onto right, brings opposition into play.

1:54 - Straigtens, still kick across ball rather than using left.

2:37 - refuses to use left foot.

3:04 - onto left again goes to hands.

Now maybe its just a bad package of Will, but that's a lot of glarring examples in a short package. Almost all of these examples were cut from the package on youtube (coincidence?)

Still think Will has other talents that made him the best option where he was taken, but do worry that if his left is as weak as it seems he will get found out very quickly at AFL level.

Lets hope i'm way wrong here.

The more i watch Will's highlight package (3min one not the cut down 50 sec one) the more i worry this kid has an issue that will stop him reaching the highest level.

Here are my concerns, i've overlooked a few options when he could/should have used the left but went right where it was a 60/40 split and not all bad. And yes i acknowledge this is only from 3 mins of vision, but it really really stands out to me.

0:40 - Gets pushed out on left, easy outside option off the left foot or hands, goes into and across traffic onto the right and inside.

1:15 - Again, easy left kick, goes back into traffic and across the body to kick right.

1:49 - Easy left kick to team mates advantage, goes onto right, brings opposition into play.

Now maybe its just a bad package of Will, but that's a lot of glarring examples in a short package. Almost all of these examples were cut from the package on youtube (coincidence?)

Still think Will has other talents that made him the best option where he was taken, but do worry that if his left is as weak as it seems he will get found out very quickly at AFL level.

Good point, but it normally doesn't tend to hamper really good outside players. How many times do you see Boomer kicking on his left?

Very interesting observations. As we know there are usually some reasons, not always (rarely) evident to us as casual observers, why people get drafted in different positions to what might be expected.

This is what the recruiters are paid to find out. Nevertheless he appears to have some good attributes and the real challenge now is for our coaching group to work hard on improving him in those areas he is deficient.

And, if he has the right attitude, is prepared to listen, learn and work really hard, he appears to have the potential to get there. (Wherever there might be!!!)

I haven't seen his interview yet but am concerned he's too flippant and doesn't completely understand cold fusion.

If it gets to the stage where our players can't explain thermonuclear reactions and the associated hyperbaric oxidation reactions, we should probably just fold the club.

But if they can, we've got Captains coming out of our ears.
Too many Chief's and not enough Indians if you ask me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it gets to the stage where our players can't explain thermonuclear reactions and the associated hyperbaric oxidation reactions, we should probably just fold the club.

Overheard a group of our players discussing nuclear fission.

They had no idea and will be traded come seasons end.

It's a shame really, we're going to miss Goldy.

Overheard a group of our players discussing nuclear fission.

They had no idea and will be traded come seasons end.

It's a shame really, we're going to miss Goldy.
Lachie was disappointed that he was the only player to fully comprehend all aspects of quantum mechanics.

No interview on the club site with this bloke yet, which is a little strange considering the flow of vids for all other draftees. Hopefully we get to see something soon.

No interview on the club site with this bloke yet, which is a little strange considering the flow of vids for all other draftees. Hopefully we get to see something soon.

Apparently there was one organised. Got told to come into the office and turn left. Still went right.

Apparently there was one organised. Got told to come into the office and turn left. Still went right.
Last spotted running right handed laps on the oval..

He's still trying to remember and recite the items list from Weird Al's song 'Hardware Store'.
Surely he wouldn't be at the hardware Store looking for a right handed screw driver?

Last spotted running right handed laps on the oval..
I played footy with a guy who had to run an equal number of laps in both directions before each game. His drawstrings on his shorts had to be equal length before he would tie them, and he packed his own pump each week because the balls were always too flat!

I played footy with a guy who had to run an equal number of laps in both directions before each game. His drawstrings on his shorts had to be equal length before he would tie them, and he packed his own pump each week because the balls were always too flat!
Flat balls must be uncomfortable.

Cunnington literally never handballs on his non-prefered, always chooses to go accross his body. I'm not complaining because his handballing is out of this world good. Obviously kicking is a different kettle of fish and to kick non-prefered is a very important skill.

Superstitious or just stupid?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back