AFL Club
North Melbourne
majak.jpg

Majak Daw
Height: 194cm
Weight: 89kg
DOB: 11/03/91
Recruited from: Western Jets
Bio: Athletic and versatile tall who can play at either end and in the ruck. Exceptionally quick for his size and strong in the air. Amazing natural leap. Learning the game and improving rapidly, booting 8 goals in the final three rounds of the TAC Cup in 2009. His 3.03sec 20m and level 13.6 beep test were impressive for a tall forward at the Victorian screening along with his standing jump of 70cm (top 14 per cent).

In his own words

What type of player are you?
Tall, athletic, mobile link man who can play in many positions. Good overhead mark who uses my leap well.

Which AFL player do you most resemble and why?
Paddy Ryder because he uses his leap and jumps into opponents well. He's also very mobile and athletic. I believe I show similar attributes and skills as him.

What are your strengths as a footballer?
Strong hands and great use of my jumping ability.

What parts of your game would you like to improve?
I am very limited in my football because I have only been playing for four years. Reading the game and the way the play unfolds.

Which AFL team do you support and how did you come to barrack for them?
Essendon. My friends from school and my football club were all Essendon supporters.

Who has been the biggest influence on your career so far and why?
Joey Halloren. He is a friend who I have played football with in junior level at Wyndhamvale and Western Jets. He helps me understand how to play football and also gives me support but has also been my taxi driver to training sessions and games.

Saw Majak in action for the first time up at North Ballarat on Saturday and from what I saw, looks to have the goods to hopefully play some AFL football in future.

His tackling style in particular is interesting, he seems to throw his opponent to the ground rather than hugging them so to speak.

Majak Daw
Height: 194cm
Weight: 89kg
DOB: 11/03/91
Recruited from: Western Jets
Bio: Athletic and versatile tall who can play at either end and in the ruck. Exceptionally quick for his size and strong in the air. Amazing natural leap. Learning the game and improving rapidly, booting 8 goals in the final three rounds of the TAC Cup in 2009. His 3.03sec 20m and level 13.6 beep test were impressive for a tall forward at the Victorian screening along with his standing jump of 70cm (top 14 per cent).

In his own words

What type of player are you?
Tall, athletic, mobile link man who can play in many positions. Good overhead mark who uses my leap well.

Which AFL player do you most resemble and why?
Paddy Ryder because he uses his leap and jumps into opponents well. He's also very mobile and athletic. I believe I show similar attributes and skills as him.

What are your strengths as a footballer?
Strong hands and great use of my jumping ability.

The Herald and Age have Majak at 195cm and 91kg.

North site have 194 and 89

A growth spurt of 2 or 3 cm and 5 kg would give him every chance to make it.

Such an interesting one, because he is such a combination of excitement and uncertainty. I'd love to know someone from the clubs estimation of when they expect Majak to debut. Surely he will be given at least two more years to continue to develop, but my guess is that we'd be looking at possibly late next year, or some stage in the first half of 2012.

Thoughts?

This kid making it is probably what I am most excited about in the next few years. The idea of a 195cm gorilla full forward, with top of the league athleticism, capable of taking monster clunks and outstanding tackling makes me cream. Majak's paddock.

I wonder if he'll pick up the nuances of good leading patterns.

He needs to watch miyyions of S Rocca and J Dunstall video's. Would be a crazy 'third man up' in defense if his kicking, manning up and decision making with the pill were up to scratch (can't say whether they are or aren't, as I've never seen him play except for youtube).

From the games I have seen him play his attack on the ball and man, athleticism and marking ability cannot be faulted. He has a nice set shot for goal too. What he lacks is general game awareness and a strong skill set under pressure. He could get a run in a preseason game as a back up ruckman, deep forward, but I don't see him really having any impact in 2011 in the first team. VFL however, I reckon there will be some games where he dominates and others where he will be a peripheral figure, but consistancy will be an issue until he fully develops the game awareness and skills required to be a consistant player.

For some reason I still see him at Full Forward long term.

Just keep having visions of him tearing out of the goalsquare on a lead to launch onto the heads of his opponents and pull down a screamer.

Perhaps it would stifle his development parking him down there for now though :footy:

He is going to be a seriously big unit when he is in his mid 20's.

Similar physique to a Gherig.

His best role would be, dare I say it, the Leigh Brown, mobile ruckman.

He might finish up around the 197cm mark, which is easily big enough for guy with his leap, as long as he possess the defensive side of the game, which has seen Brown and Mumford excel, he could provide the perfect foil for Goldstein down the track.

If he can develop into a big bodied, physcial, tackling ruckman, with a leap, and an aerial threat, as his game pace is very good.

He will be a weapon.

He is going to be a seriously big unit when he is in his mid 20's.

Similar physique to a Gherig.

His best role would be, dare I say it, the Leigh Brown, mobile ruckman.

He might finish up around the 197cm mark, which is easily big enough for guy with his leap, as long as he possess the defensive side of the game, which has seen Brown and Mumford excel, he could provide the perfect foil for Goldstein down the track.

If he can develop into a big bodied, physcial, tackling ruckman, with a leap, and an aerial threat, as his game pace is very good.

He will be a weapon.

How many years do you think realistically Pykie?

My only worry would be whether or not he possesses the game sense to play as a ruckman. At full forward it would seem that he would only have to lead, and mark, as well as apply defensive pressure. If he can become a ruckman i'd be absolutely stoked. I guess he could end up anywhere atm.

How many years do you think realistically Pykie?

My only worry would be whether or not he possesses the game sense to play as a ruckman. At full forward it would seem that he would only have to lead, and mark, as well as apply defensive pressure. If he can become a ruckman i'd be absolutely stoked. I guess he could end up anywhere atm.

He's 19.

The likes of Ayce Cordy etc are still floundering in the VFL.

Ruckman in general will take a couple of years.

Another year or two, shouldering the ruck duties at Werribee will do him the world of good.

AFL experience can come when McIntosh/Goldstein miss through injury, or he demands a game.

He is the type of player though, once adept at senior VFL level, will do very well, and most likely start demanding some AFL games.

Look at Mike Pike, game sense isn't the be-all and end-all

He was drafted because of his supurb defensive qualities as a ruckman in the TAC Cup, and funnily enough, it's the hot quality in ruckman in the AFL atm.

I wouldn't expect a game next year, however, if we trade Hale, and he tracks well in the senior Werribee side next year, anything is possible.

I'd definately like to take a look at him in the NAB Cup though, a second half substitute would be perfect.

I just can't see a spot for him in the forward line at AFL level.

We have Hansen and Petrie as definate starters there.

Black and O'Keefe would be the next cabs off the rank, as well as the likes of Edwards etc.

Down back, Tarrant and Delaney are well ahead of him.

3rd ruck behind Goldstein and McIntosh will enable him enough time to develop, and sneak the odd game (plus its the position he has played for the majority of his life).

He would of played 3 games this year for example.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could be the sudanese version of corey mckernnan.

Having watched him as our only representative in the Footy Show Review tonight, I think he's the Sudanese/Aussie version of M.C. Hammer. The lad can move! :thumbsu:

Having watched him as our only representative in the Footy Show Review tonight, I think he's the Sudanese/Aussie version of M.C. Hammer. The lad can move! :thumbsu:

If he can move that well on the footy field ill be stoked.

Majak has had an outstanding preseason. I think this quote from Brad sums it up quite nicely.

MAJAK DAW:

"He's exciting, there's no doubt about it. His physical attributes, he's got some things that other players haven't got.

"I was privy to the Marty Clark episode at Collingwood, who came in from Ireland and had never kicked an AFL ball before to then two years later be taking kick-ins from full-back.

"Majak Daw's improvement has been on just as steep a curve as Marty's.

"If you told me six months ago that Majak would play in the NAB Cup and take three strong contested marks, be giving off handballs and kicking the ball efficiently, I wouldn't have believed you. So now the sky's the limit for him."

HUN article found here.

I popped him in my supercoach as a reserve. Is he likely to get some gametime this year? Or still a project?

Exciting propsect

Played in the ruck and in the forward line today, it was a consistent performance at VFL senior level from him in my opinion.

If he can continue this, he might have a chance to playing at AFL level later on this season.

Not sure if he's related or not, but there is an Anthony Daw from Victoria, listed as originally from Sudan and 196cm, born in 1996, playing for the World Team at the National U16 champs which are underway. Could be a relation of Majak? Decent size for a kid who is only 14 years old!

They beat the Northern Territory today. The South Pacific team also beat Tasmania also. Both feature some overage players, but still it was a fantastic result. Quite a few Sudanese playing for the World team.

http://mm.afl.com.au/Portals/0/2011/u18s/U16s_Program_2011.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back