#38 - Mitch Grigg

Remove this Banner Ad

From a couple of his highlights, seems to like to run around the back for the lay off. Could be a designated kicker from outside 50.

Really happy with this pick. From the video, his evasiveness, awareness, and ability to negotiate heavy traffic is excellent. He seemed to be able to create enough space and time, as an inside mid, to still be able to use his kicking to good advantage. There are plenty of examples of not-fast mids who are very good players. Mitchell, Cross, Ling, Black...
I'll take the agility and foot skills anyday, explosive speed can be improved at training.

Reckon he might be the kind of guy who gets an early opportunity, but takes a little while to adjust to AFL.
You can see in his highlights video that he's able to shrug off tackles pretty easily, and often takes this option. At AFL level, against men, and at a higher pace, he'll probably struggle to play his natural game for a while. This would explain why he looked a bit ordinary in the SANFL finals.
I'm sure it'll come with time, but I think we should be prepared for a bloke who gets caught holding the ball a fair bit in his first couple of years.

Reckon he might be the kind of guy who gets an early opportunity, but takes a little while to adjust to AFL.
You can see in his highlights video that he's able to shrug off tackles pretty easily, and often takes this option. At AFL level, against men, and at a higher pace, he'll probably struggle to play his natural game for a while.

This is a concern for me. Grigg has generally been significantly stronger than his opponents in the past which has made it easier for him to use his weapons. He will not have this advantage anymore. I wouldn't read too much into the whole "attitude" issue because it has been exaggerated IMO. Hope he manages to prove the doubters wrong, myself included.

Yeah, but as Rendell has said, he will be used to win contested ball and get it out to runners. This will pretty much nullify his greatest asset.

Kicks left but handballs right would you believe.

Increasing his foot speed won't make him a better football. Adjusting his attitude and temperament will. It's easy to say "Oh the club will straighten him out" or "He will tow the line". If this was the case, then every kid would make it. Some guys are just so set in their ways.

Before I get showered with cynical comments from the multitude of "the Crows/Rendell can't do anything wrong" types, I will share a passage of play in the champs that reflected Mitch's attitude the best.

In the Vic Metro game, the Vics got out to a 4 goal lead in the 3rd but SA kicked a couple of goals to get back within a goal or so. Had some real momentum. Mitch gives away a high free kick about 65 out from SA's goal and blows up at the decision and gives away a 50. On the way to running back to man the mark he gives away another 50 for abusive language. Vic subsequently kick the goal and the momentum is killed off.

I have plenty of other examples of his attitude but I will leave it at that and you can all see for yourself in time.

There's certainly issues with him and thanks for giving us your assessment, its always nice post draft to get an honest opinion from someone whose actually seen our recruits.

I'm certainly not going to go round hailing him as some "second coming" or "draft steal", there's a reason why he went pick 41 and not pick 15 as many of the Phantom Drafts had him. Its far, far too early for any of that and ALL of us should learn from the Patty Dangerfield thread in "The Locker-room" when it comes to passing assessment immediately post draft.

However at pick 41 I think he's a decent pick, he has some weapons(personally I'm a sucker for someone who can kick the footy like he supposedly can) and some of his weaknesses can certainly be worked on and potentially even resolved.

He'll be playing out at Norwood for his first year which is a major plus in my books as Bassett seems to be an extremely good developer of young footballers.

Haha watching the interview on AFC and Grigg looks like the energetic type that doesnt want to sit still for more than 30 seconds!

He was extremely nervous in that interview. He's just a kid. This environment will be fantastic for his maturity. CEY also very nervous.....unlike Joyce :)

After listening and reading a few of his interviews it seems that he is getting sick of people asking him about his pace. Hopefully this doubt about his capability will fuel his hunger to succeed at the next level.

Well its clear the knock on this lad is pace, but gee that vision is impressive. Could not help but watch it a few times just to absorb the pure football talent. In modern terms I couldnt help think luke Hodge but for the oldies amongst us I thought I saw a bit of the Norwood legend...MACCA!!!

Now he was a bloke without much pace but he sure dominated. Different times I know. The thing I noticed about Mitch is that he does not seem to need pace to buy himself time, he never has it for that long, he gets it and its gone, no real breakaway required.

I cant for the life of me see how a player with that kick and that decision making could not find a way to survive at AFL level regardless of pace. Maybe he pulled up on his draft test run to he could slide;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well its clear the knock on this lad is pace, but gee that vision is impressive. Could not help but watch it a few times just to absorb the pure football talent. In modern terms I couldnt help think luke Hodge but for the oldies amongst us I thought I saw a bit of the Norwood legend...MACCA!!!

Now he was a bloke without much pace but he sure dominated. Different times I know. The thing I noticed about Mitch is that he does not seem to need pace to buy himself time, he never has it for that long, he gets it and its gone, no real breakaway required.

I cant for the life of me see how a player with that kick and that decision making could not find a way to survive at AFL level regardless of pace. Maybe he pulled up on his draft test run to he could slide;)

I completely agree. I think everyone needs to get over this obsession with pace. Every player has flaws. There have been many great players who have lacked speed. One piece of advice that I agreed with Neil Craig on was that you can move the ball quicker by kicking it than any bloke can run, so long as the player can make fast decisions. Grigg seems to do this well. Im sure he can over come his deficiencies in the AFL just as he did in the juniors.

Can Grigg can play also in the forward or backline? As someone mentioned he would be good for the backline. I was thinking to use his leg to get over the zones. Also think he would be a beauty around the half forward line with a strong body and thumping kick. All these tough bodies will hopefully help Patty to play more midfield. Though he is such a asset up forward.

Grigg is the steal of the draft for mine. Absolute gun. Slid only due to his pace ‘issue’ which really doesn’t hold him back at all, as highlighted by his MVP effort in the U18s. It’s about as big a pace issue as Jobe Watson’s or Greg Williams. Great get.

Yes this appears to be the major negative .......that said you read the right-ups on Brad McKenzie and it puzzles me with AFL club thinking

McKenzie supposedly equal in kicking ability but it appears is also not the quickest but also doesn't have the tank that Grigg has???

AFL clubs can rationalise any decision they make ....but i suspect attitude may or may not also be a factor

Not the first time a brilliant footballer hasn't made it due to a poor attitude ......yes we can all name them ....hope Grigg isn't another

It is hard not too get carried away after each draft... But I am not confident with this years batch at all.... If any of our new lads are going to make it, I reckon it will be Mitch...

I tend to lean the other way. Not sure why, but I have a good feeling about all the lads we picked up. Dont have any real evidence to support this- just a gut feeling. Maybe its got something to do with the fresh approach that Sando brings to the club. Think the biggest question mark is on CEY. Idigineous lads seem very hit or miss- not to mention his dodgy knee. Think he will benefit from staying in SA though.

C'mon Mitch, at least TRY to suck in the gut ...

CYCLER%20-%20Copy.jpg

I tend to lean the other way. Not sure why, but I have a good feeling about all the lads we picked up. Dont have any real evidence to support this- just a gut feeling. Maybe its got something to do with the fresh approach that Sando brings to the club. Think the biggest question mark is on CEY. Idigineous lads seem very hit or miss- not to mention his dodgy knee. Think he will benefit from staying in SA though.

I agree with this. Feeling confident with Grigg, Kerridge and even Joyce. CEY is pretty speculative.

I agree with this. Feeling confident with Grigg, Kerridge and even Joyce. CEY is pretty speculative.

We need to put this in to perspective, everyone has said this was a s**t shallow draft so the chances of more than of these players making it is remote.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back