#38 - Mitch Grigg

Remove this Banner Ad

We need to put this in to perspective, everyone has said this was a s**t shallow draft so the chances of more than of these players making it is remote.

This is true. However, the selection of Joyce (a player that the club has an intimate knowledge of) at 46 and CEY at 64 (a pick which we were supposedly going to use in the PSD if no-one we liked was available) gives me some confidence that the club has come into this draft with a plan and executed it well. At the end of the day a draft pick is just a number and any of the kids we have selected have every chance of becoming a star or a spud. Bring on 2012!:thumbsu:

You wouldn't call Sam Mitchell quick by any means, but he is a classy mid-fielder. He was even slower when he first started, but his footy ability, good disposal and overall awareness have made him a great player. He is a natural footballer.

Grigg's big assets are that he is a natural footballer with excellent foot skills and overall awareness.

IMO Grigg will make it as long as he works his arse off to develop his strengths even further as well as working on picking up a yard or two.

Grigg has better pace on paper than Steele Sidebottom. If he's elite by foot, then with hard work he has a better crack at making it than the rest of them, far as I'm concerned. How many kids with elite kicks don't make it in our game? Very few.

What's his overhead marking like?

Grigg has better pace on paper than Steele Sidebottom. If he's elite by foot, then with hard work he has a better crack at making it than the rest of them, far as I'm concerned. How many kids with elite kicks don't make it in our game? Very few.

What's his overhead marking like?

Just average, I believe.

His pace is one thing, but the bigger potential issue is his attitude problem. If it just works out to be that he hasn't been good at accepting coaching because he's just been that much better than his peers, that's one thing - he'll shape up when he enters a group of players equal to his own caliber.

On the other hand if he's just plum stubborn and distrustful of authority figures he'll find things difficult.

Considering how much he wants to be a footballer I reckon it's the former, and it won't be a problem.

he could just be the type of person that learns by arguing and challenging the coach with what he knows to learn the deeper reason he is being asked to do something.

I do that a fair bit, needless to say my dad gets the s**t at me a lot

His pace is one thing, but the bigger potential issue is his attitude problem. If it just works out to be that he hasn't been good at accepting coaching because he's just been that much better than his peers, that's one thing - he'll shape up when he enters a group of players equal to his own caliber.

On the other hand if he's just plum stubborn and distrustful of authority figures he'll find things difficult.

Considering how much he wants to be a footballer I reckon it's the former, and it won't be a problem.

Yeah this is it, players lacking in pace can get around it if they have the right attitude. So far I think Mitch has gotten by a bit on his more mature body, hence his outstanding form in the U18 cup, but struggled with the step up to Senior SANFL footy where he suddenly wasn't the big dog. He has great endurance by the sounds, but similar to Walker, he needs to develop a work ethic, which is very much a maturity thing. If he can do this and learn to handle the bigger bodies of Senior footy, we have a great prospect on our hands, especially if he can learn to get on the outside on occasion and use his elite leg to clear the opposition press/zone.

I doubt he'll be an instant success as some are perhaps suggesting, there's a reason why he fell to 41, and at this stage I'm not getting too overly excited for exactly this reason. However for what's essentially a 3rd round draft pick, he's a decent prospect.

I think he may turn out a bit like Shannon Hurn tbh, a lot of parallels can be drawn between those two.

All draft picks are speculative of course but I am very pleased with who we picked up in what all and sundry are calling a poor draft, due to a couple of reasons; and yes I am sucked in by conspiracy theories.
Grigg has been giving glowing reports by some poor grades by others, however the one judge who has seen him much more than any of us and one who hopefully talked extensively with the recruiting team would be Bassett. Surely with his past success with putting forward AFL potential players his word has some standing-and if he thinks Grigg's talent and attitude are OK then I'm good with it.
Joyce, again I like the cloke and daggers - working in the club, shoulder injury etc video looks good my only concern is that no one has mentioned him prior no WWT supporters however, he looks the goods.
CEY well why not go all out on someone who could be a freak but more than likely will play ok SANFL footy going by the odds but you never know he could just surprise us all - no damage done picking him up.

I'm not sure what to think re: Bassett. Norwood didn't exactly give him a huge go and they made a point of saying something like "hopefully he'll get a shot late in the draft" which wasn't exactly a strong recommendation.

Bassett has been silent publically, no idea what if anything he's been saying behind closed doors.

Classic Gen Y behaviour ??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure what to think re: Bassett. Norwood didn't exactly give him a huge go and they made a point of saying something like "hopefully he'll get a shot late in the draft" which wasn't exactly a strong recommendation.

Bassett has been silent publically, no idea what if anything he's been saying behind closed doors.

Like Craigy, Bass not a fan of guys who are a bit "different"?

Time will tell. I would've drafted him only as a rookie.

I've seen him look very, very bad, and I've seen him look good. He needs to massively improve his work-rate, stay involved in the game for longer periods, and demand more from himself. Is talented, but is slow and just doesn't work hard enough.

Agreed, but Shannon Hurn's gloss is slowly wearing off, rather ordinary TBH.

Was found out in finals - has no accountability and becomes a liability when the game is locked down to become tough and physical. It is often the case that that these spare-men in defence are made to look better than they are against weak and middling opponents. Hopefully Grigg can be a bit harder edged than Hurn, Shaw, Suckling etc.

Not our fault your old.

Haha - you're only as old as the women you ... damn still old !

I didn't say there was anything wrong with Gen Y's, just they can't have my job just because they've been 12 months out of Uni and the world owe's them !

Was found out in finals - has no accountability and becomes a liability when the game is locked down to become tough and physical. It is often the case that that these spare-men in defence are made to look better than they are against weak and middling opponents. Hopefully Grigg can be a bit harder edged than Hurn, Shaw, Suckling etc.

I remember Hurn was probably the hardest at it inside mid in his draft year, he was tipped to go top 3 but then slid after draft camp as he didn't test that well + people thought he was a man child. I reckon his development has stunted a bit due to being just being played off the HBF, I reckon he would've been great through the middle. He's still one of the best HBF's in the league for sure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back