Past Player. Murray Newman (2012 - 2015)

Remove this Banner Ad

Last week was an improved game from Newman. Finishing with 15 disposals (14 k, 1 hb) after gathering 6 in the third quarter time. Furthermore, he had 2 tackles and an impressive 7 I50. However he again failed to trouble the scorers.

kane249 can you please change the "yet to debut" in the OP? Thanks.

Newman has been dropped for this rounds WAFL game.

Early reports are that it is not due to injury but rather discipline:

Newman suspended by West Coast for a week for missing a team meeting, according to Clint Wheeldon (ABC) on twitter.

At least he's not injured I guess :(

Hopefully the reasons for missing are not sinister.

While this is disappointing, he will ultimately be judged on how he responds rather than the indiscretion itself. Positive he'll have more time to work on his 2km time trials.

Yeah definately. Wouldn't mind knowing what day he missed/why he missed it. Just hope he wasn't out on the beers and missed an early one. If it's just being disorganised or something that's easier to accept.

I have doubts that Newman will be retained next year .:(

He seems to have responded well to the slow 2 km trials. So long as he is putting in the effort we'll stick with him, I hope. Woosha speaks as if he knows he's a long term prospect too. But it hasn't been the smoothest transition to AFL that's for sure.

Finishes off with 24 (17k 7 hb), 5 marks, 5 tackles, and 3 i50s in a losing side today. Most importantly, 103 dream team points!

Solid game Muzz!

Final scores Peel 98 Swans 84

On a side note I'd really like it if the Eagles gave Sampi a job in the future to be a role model to our indigenous players. My thinking behind this is that it is all good and well to have a player that succeeded to tell a young kid (Looking at Newman here) what to do, but to have a player that failed due his off field issues ala Sampi to come in and explain that the Eagles are trying to help all along would be far more beneficial. In reference to his article in the West on saturday how he now see's where WCE were coming from. Surely for Newman this would help dearly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On a side note I'd really like it if the Eagles gave Sampi a job in the future to be a role model to our indigenous players. My thinking behind this is that it is all good and well to have a player that succeeded to tell a young kid (Looking at Newman here) what to do, but to have a player that failed due his off field issues ala Sampi to come in and explain that the Eagles are trying to help all along would be far more beneficial. In reference to his article in the West on saturday how he now see's where WCE were coming from. Surely for Newman this would help dearly.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/wa/16842076/life-now-worth-living-for-former-eagle/
This one? Yeah surely couldn't do any harm.
I'm hoping the fact that Garlett didn't get picked up, despite being top 10 worthy on ability, would have caused reality to hit a bit.

Injury is confirmed as a hyper extension of his knee, will miss 1-2 weeks :thumbsdown:

Yet to be able to string more than 2 games together this season due to a bye, one game club imposed suspension, and now this injury. Bit of regular footy would surely have to be good for his form and behaviour outside of the game.

I'd rather a successful Indigenous player was the role model. Matera maybe.

I'd rather a successful Indigenous player was the role model. Matera maybe.
Yeh I see your point here but when your young and someone is telling you what to do because they were successful like a positive role model. I feel as though if your working with troubled youth, in particular Newman who is a bit of a moron, having someone like Sampi be there who was given the opportunity to succeed like Newman but made some of the wrong choices and now is paying for it by working away from his family and friends not making a living out of football would touch closer too home. I'm sure a combination of both role models would be a great ploy. I think all Eagles, indigenous or not should be heavily involved in the David Wirrapanda Foundation in their first contract. I have seen a few photos on instagram of Hill, Newman, Bennel and Dick doing work with the Wirra foundation so that is obviously a good thang.

Yeh I see your point here but when your young and someone is telling you what to do because they were successful like a positive role model. I feel as though if your working with troubled youth, in particular Newman who is a bit of a moron, having someone like Sampi be there who was given the opportunity to succeed like Newman but made some of the wrong choices and now is paying for it by working away from his family and friends not making a living out of football would touch closer too home. I'm sure a combination of both role models would be a great ploy. I think all Eagles, indigenous or not should be heavily involved in the David Wirrapanda Foundation in their first contract. I have seen a few photos on instagram of Hill, Newman, Bennel and Dick doing work with the Wirra foundation so that is obviously a good thang.

That is good too hear about the boys and the Wirra foundation.

It's a grade 1 LCL tear the harry, so he says it will be 5 weeks, from last Thursday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back