Delisted #38: Nick Kommer - Delisted - 26/10

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree, at least it isn't a 3 or 4 year deal. Hope the club learns from this though, I am sort of old fashioned but unless a player has proven he is in the top 18, then I prefer 1 year deals. Earn that contract so to speak/
I think it might have been influenced by what was going on last year as well.. club probably thought it was important to lock in players, two fold - in case draft sanctions hit hard and also so that we could show players were happy to stay at the club.

Guys were getting 2-3 year deals instead of 1 last year.. might be a factor.

I think it might have been influenced by what was going on last year as well.. club probably thought it was important to lock in players, two fold - in case draft sanctions hit hard and also so that we could show players were happy to stay at the club.

Guys were getting 2-3 year deals instead of 1 last year.. might be a factor.

Yep think that definately was a massive factor to be honest, and they sort of were in a lose/lose situation to be honest. Happy that as a club we get better but I agree the external things did have an influence on the contracts.

Look how much Baguley has improved. Everything to suggest this bloke will be twice the player in time, by the way he goes about it. Reminds me a lot of Joel Selwood.

Selwood?

How does he remind you of him?

Look how much Baguley has improved. Everything to suggest this bloke will be twice the player in time, by the way he goes about it. Reminds me a lot of Joel Selwood.
I don't mind Nicholas, but I'd be about 100% confident in predicting he will not ever be twice the player Baguley is.

Selwood?

How does he remind you of him?
I think it's the attack on the footy mostly, with no regard for personal safety. Probably going to be called out on this but if super fit and training with the midfield group I can see Kommer being a terrific midfielder in a few years. I think he has all the attributes. His kicking afficiency is better than people think at 77% too.

I think it's the attack on the footy mostly, with no regard for personal safety. Probably going to be called out on this but if super fit and training with the midfield group I can see Kommer being a terrific midfielder in a few years. I think he has all the attributes. His kicking afficiency is better than people think at 77% too.

Henry Slattery had that too

I don't think it's his kicking efficiency so much, but that he doesn't hit the scoreboard enough. I reckon he's a ripper, hopefully ge comes good!

If Kommer can learn some smarts off Chappy and Licka and become a semi dangerous leading forward (because he's not exactly a midget) AND couple that with all that nifty defensive pressure, then we might get a handy footballer out of him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has he really shown the necessary attributes as a ball winner to indicate he could be a midfielder, though?

I know his present stats are largely dictated by where he's played, but I find it hard to imagine him becoming enough of a ball winner. And that's what he'd need to be- I couldn't see him really being an outside runner. He'd need to be a grunt type.

3f03v.jpg

Has he really shown the necessary attributes as a ball winner to indicate he could be a midfielder, though?

I know his present stats are largely dictated by where he's played, but I find it hard to imagine him becoming enough of a ball winner. And that's what he'd need to be- I couldn't see him really being an outside runner. He'd need to be a grunt type.
I agree, he doesn't get enough ball and didn't in the WAFL either. A shame because I can see him as that real hard grunt style inside midfielder, that sets up play/goals, can push back and can snag the odd few.

But having been involved in a lot of score involvements in his first year, I would be happy enough with him playing a half forward role and being under Chappys tutelage

Kommer won't ever be able to setup plays playing midfield, he is without a doubt the worst kick I've ever seen. We have enough trouble getting it in quick to give our forwards time to find space, Kommer will not help that area of our game at all...

I appreciate his attack on the ball as well. I think it was against Freo last year where he had multiple efforts to get the ball in the forward line that lead to an Ess goal.

Unfortunately he just doesn't accumulate, doesn't get enough of the ball in the forward line, which makes me doubt he can in the middle. I also question his tank, never his endeavour....

I rate Selwood so highly, can't see Kommer any where near the class of Selwood

I reckon if he actually got more of the ball in the centre of the ground it could make him a worse player he turns it over so much.

I've thought for quite a while that he has all the attributes of a tagger except maybe endurance.
He has that mongrel, combative, harassing instinct.

Pro's:

-Apply's decent pressure
-Agressive

Con's:

-Can't kick
-Doesn't kick goals
-Poor endurance
-Not very creative

You forgot 'second season' in the pro's...

Pro's:

-Apply's decent pressure
-Agressive

Con's:

-Can't kick
-Doesn't kick goals
-Poor endurance
-Not very creative
Said it before and will say it again. The club must think he has huge potential to lock him in like they did.
I say huge, but what i mean is that they just know categorically (in their own minds) that he will be best 22 in a premiership side. We haven't seen anything like that yet which has me intrigued.
Apparently he is gifted natural sportsman, which you would have to think indicates that he has a better chance than most at eradicating particular skill deficiencies. My present gut feeling is that he could improve on his current output across the board and become a chappy-esk forward. I can't see him in the midfield because he doesn't really have stand out attributes like A grade midfielders usually have. Who could he replace in our midfield other than Howlett? Just cannot see it happening...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back