James Kelly Ankle Test
Lincoln McCarthy* Foot Indefinite
Hamish McIntosh Calf tendon 5 weeks
Daniel Menzel Knee 3 weeks
Jordan Murdoch Hamstring 2 weeks
Rhys Stanley Foot Season
Nathan Vardy Knee 5 weeks
Updated: Tuesday, June 23

Read had a very good and reasonable game at VFL level. Played forward and in the ruck. Took several good marks and kicked 2 goals I think.

Can definitely see what Wells say in the rookie pick.

GO Catters

Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Read had a very good and reasonable game at VFL level. Played forward and in the ruck. Took several good marks and kicked 2 goals I think.

Can definitely see what Wells say in the rookie pick.

GO Catters
Do you see him more as a forward than a ruck Daz, giving the #1 ruck a chop out from time to time, or a project 2nd ruck, spending a fair amount of time in the ruck once he learns the trade?

Do you see him more as a forward than a ruck Daz, giving the #1 ruck a chop out from time to time, or a project 2nd ruck, spending a fair amount of time in the ruck once he learns the trade?

Not a #1 at all. More like a Vardy type that can do both - well at least in the Vardy mold…..Good hands, good kicking, reads the ball well...

GO Catters

CatsDoItBetter

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 9, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
From what I've seen of him helots like he could be a good player obviously needs a bit of time. He didn't do much in the ruck that was that impressive but he needs to add a bit more muscle to be able to compete there. I'd say he's more a forward that could play a little in the ruck at the moment. Rather than a genuine number 2 ruckman and less of a natural in the ruck than Vardy.

Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Not a #1 at all. More like a Vardy type that can do both - well at least in the Vardy mold…..Good hands, good kicking, reads the ball well...

GO Catters
From what I've seen of him helots like he could be a good player obviously needs a bit of time. He didn't do much in the ruck that was that impressive but he needs to add a bit more muscle to be able to compete there. I'd say he's more a forward that could play a little in the ruck at the moment. Rather than a genuine number 2 ruckman and less of a natural in the ruck than Vardy.
Thank you. :)
I hope he gets a chance to play some NAB-time next year, then we can all get a look at him

Oct 5, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Hopefully he's over that disease which sapped most of his energy levels during the under 18's. Strange selection knowing he has such an issue so it's something which may continue to plague him as he develops in the coming year/s.
From the limited games we've watched him in so far, he looks a long way behind many of our other young rucks who arrived at the club.

Interesting project player this one.

Not sure id call it strange selection when he's a rookie pick coming from miles back…

AS for the illness, I thought I read at the time he was drafted that his old coach in SA was interviewed and his mum was too and they went through the chronology of his illness and recovery.

As part of that, it was discussed that its not something is likely to return - and that he slipped in the draft purely as he had not played in 15 months…

AFAIK, its now all about just getting back the lost fitness and conditioning that has been lost….

Kid has some skills however…

If I can find that article I'll link it...

Go Catters

Lana

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 23, 2010
AFL Club
GWS
Not sure id call it strange selection when he's a rookie pick coming from miles back…

AS for the illness, I thought I read at the time he was drafted that his old coach in SA was interviewed and his mum was too and they went through the chronology of his illness and recovery.

As part of that, it was discussed that its not something is likely to return - and that he slipped in the draft purely as he had not played in 15 months…

AFAIK, its now all about just getting back the lost fitness and conditioning that has been lost….

Kid has some skills however…

If I can find that article I'll link it...

Go Catters

Is this the one you have in mind?

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...-dream-a-reality/story-fnii0607-1227129692239

Saw him play ome VFL games, which as it turned out was not many. Had fatigue issues in year 1 and knee issues this year it seems.

I thought this skills when fit were good and worth the pick Wellsy used to get him, but it appears his time at GFC is done. All the best.

Go Cattters

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2016-09-27/rookies-depart-cats

Back