38600 at SANFL GF - Norwood take 30th flag

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh i know the ship's sailed, but my point is my loyalty lies with Norwood before the Crows and if a remote chance of Norwood entering the AFL hurts the Crows then bad luck.

I know I've said before that if Norwood joined I'd be jumping ship...

I'd imagine Adelaide would become a close 2nd team if that happened.... I wonder if Norwood v Adelaide games would get the rivalry of Adelaide v Port Adelaide or Norwood v Port Adelaide...

?

From an AFL club perspective, the previous system was pretty farcical. The lack of control over player gametime, role and development did nobody any favours. Still remember the dancing around when Port Power tried to turn Nick Salter into a defender at AFL level, all while Woodville-West Torrens continued to play him at Full Forward (with decent success, I might add) in the SANFL. The Power were probably the ones in the wrong, but it was still funny to see the vastly differing perspectives on an individual player.

I think Nick Salter would disagree with you here. Port didn't see him as a forward at AFL level for the side, and thought he would make a good defender (probably the way CCornes was swapped from a forward to backman). Eagles being stubborn refused to play him in defence so he could learn the skills required... thus in 5yrs only played 21games of AFL footy. Im sure Salter would have much rather Eagles played him in defence so he could give AFL a fair and decent crack. After all players on AFL lists dont strive to play in a state comp do they?

Was a great crowd there on Sunday... And if Port weren't playing in Melb the night before could have been 5k more supporters at the match.

The result was s**t... but congrats to Norwood. Both sides should be playing in the AFL, is the SANFL weren't dumb stupid stubborn w***ers then both sides would rightfully be in the AFL where they belong.

There is a slight basis for some whinging TBH, but I personally wouldn't engage in it.

Ex-AFL listed players in Norwood's side yesterday:

- Kieran McGuinness (Captain, Eastern Ranges, ex-Western Bulldogs)
- Callum Bartlett (Geelong Falcons, ex-Brisbane)
- Michael Newton (Murray Bushrangers, ex-Melbourne)
- Jace Bode (Sturt, ex-Melbourne)
- Simon Phillips (Sandringham Dragons, ex-Sydney, ex-Port Power)
- Matthew Panos (Norwood Junior, ex-Western Bulldogs, surely a strong chance to be re-drafted?)
- Gavin Hughes (Norwood Junior, ex-Western Bulldogs)

Players from other clubs:

- James Allan (3-time Magarey Medallist, Lara Football Club, ex-North Adelaide)
- Sam Baulderstone (ex-North Adelaide, big ruckman is a strong chance to be drafted after polling 3rd in the Magarey Medal count, story of 40kg weight loss and persistence is very Shane Mumford-esque)
- Kane Murphy (ex-Sydney Swans Reserves, son of Sydney Team of the Century member David Murphy)

The remaining 12 players were either Norwood juniors, or have only ever played SANFL football at Norwood

Compare this to Port Adelaide's side yesterday...

Current Power listed players:

- Kane Mitchell
- Sam Gray
- Ben Newton
- Aaron Young
- Lewis Stevenson (part of Norwood's 2013 Premiership side)
- Paul Stewart
- Karl Amon
- Brendon Ah Chee
- Daniel Flynn
- Cameron Hitchcock
- Jarman Impey
- Tom Logan
- Mitchell Harvey
- John Butcher
- Tom Clurey
- Mason Shaw
- Campbell Heath
- Sam Russell
- Darcy Byrne-Jones

Ex-AFL listed players:

- Nathan Krakouer (ex-Port Adelaide, ex-Gold Coast)

Only Sam Gray and Captain Steven Summerton are "home grown" Magpies.

All that being said, I don't personally have a problem with the Crows/Power reserves set-ups in the SANFL, but I can see why some do.

From an AFL club perspective, the previous system was pretty farcical. The lack of control over player gametime, role and development did nobody any favours. Still remember the dancing around when Port Power tried to turn Nick Salter into a defender at AFL level, all while Woodville-West Torrens continued to play him at Full Forward (with decent success, I might add) in the SANFL. The Power were probably the ones in the wrong, but it was still funny to see the vastly differing perspectives on an individual player.

Of that team that played on Sunday, 8 have never played an AFL game and only 2 have played more than 32 Afl games. It was quite noticeable that Norwood were bigger and older.

Interesting that crowds are down fractionally in the AFL (up on last year, but still 10% down on the 2008 peak average) whilst the SANFL and VFL both just produced fantastic crowds for their grand finals.

Anecdotally you hear of many people starting to take more of an interest in local league foot than the AFL.

Wouldn't call it a pattern yet, and I don't know what H&A crowds were like in the SANFL, VFL or WAFL, and the high crowds may have been due to standalone AFL reserves team participating in both games.... but it'll be interesting to keep an eye on those crowds next year.

I think Nick Salter would disagree with you here. Port didn't see him as a forward at AFL level for the side, and thought he would make a good defender (probably the way CCornes was swapped from a forward to backman). Eagles being stubborn refused to play him in defence so he could learn the skills required... thus in 5yrs only played 21games of AFL footy. Im sure Salter would have much rather Eagles played him in defence so he could give AFL a fair and decent crack. After all players on AFL lists dont strive to play in a state comp do they?

Wasn't he always more of a natural forward though? He wasn't exactly failing as a forward at SANFL level either (consistently averaged 2-3 goals per game as I recall), to justify trying him in a different role. Seem to remember a fair few Power fans wondering at the time why he wasn't in the AFL side as a forward.

Interesting that crowds are down fractionally in the AFL (up on last year, but still 10% down on the 2008 peak average) whilst the SANFL and VFL both just produced fantastic crowds for their grand finals.

Anecdotally you hear of many people starting to take more of an interest in local league foot than the AFL.

Wouldn't call it a pattern yet, and I don't know what H&A crowds were like in the SANFL, VFL or WAFL, and the high crowds may have been due to standalone AFL reserves team participating in both games.... but it'll be interesting to keep an eye on those crowds next year.

It has been my pattern for about 10 years, i go to WAFL footy and hardly any AFL football, this year went to no AFL games, i like the grass banks, having a kick with the kids, full strength beer , listening to the coach at 3/4 time and hanging around for a after match kick.

I live 10 minutes walk from a WAFL ground, it is all stress free.

Stopped going to the AFL after security told me to sit down even though i was blocking no ones view except for some signage.

Mind you could probably not get a membership now anyway even if i wanted, both clubs here have waiting lists.

The AFL reserves side has had no positive impact on attendances thus far. This was a GF between tradition rivals. The Adelaide reserves side barely draws a crowd of their own and the Power reserves has lost a fair few die hard Maggies supporters that don't want a bar of the team now. Their Cheer squad called it a day after 50 years.
Simply, the SANFL is still a relatively healthy comp and still has it a large supporter base. Nothing like the pre AFL days and even mid/late 90s but it's held it's own.

Norwood's crowd on the weekend, shows how bad a decision of starting GWS was. GWS would dream of a crowd like that, and Swans getting fewer than 50K to a prelim suggests that 1 club in Sydney is more than enough. There would be a massive outcry if any Melbourne club couldn't crack 50K for a prelim.

Always wondered if People from either Tassie or Norwood could buy up memberships in GWS, and take over the club. Would only need 15K people to have a majority.

If Norwood were placed into the AFL tomorrow I'd be signing up straight away, it's the club I've followed since birth (my folks are Norwood and Sturt fans respectively, born in 78 they had a bet whoever finished higher is who I'd support, thanks Dad!) so yeah I'd be straight on that train.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Norwood were placed into the AFL tomorrow I'd be signing up straight away, it's the club I've followed since birth (my folks are Norwood and Sturt fans respectively, born in 78 they had a bet whoever finished higher is who I'd support, thanks Dad!) so yeah I'd be straight on that train.

I'm still not sure why Norwood don't set up some kind of alliance with Melbourne and play half their home games at the MCG/Adelaide Oval. Its virtually impossible for Norwood to get their own AFL license, so keeping their SANFL team, and making an AFL alliance with Melbourne (who also used to be called the redlegs) is surely better than nothing (or supporting the crows)

I'm still not sure why Norwood don't set up some kind of alliance with Melbourne and play half their home games at the MCG/Adelaide Oval. Its virtually impossible for Norwood to get their own AFL license, so keeping their SANFL team, and making an AFL alliance with Melbourne (who also used to be called the redlegs) is surely better than nothing (or supporting the crows)
Personally I'd vomit at that thought. Don't want to be associated with that club in the slightest.

We want no association with the most pathetic club in the AFL. They are an embarrassment to the Red and Blue. The colours should be stripped off of them.

Must admit Ive often wondered about that myself. Unfortunately as others have alluded to, we didn't play it right when South Australian involvement was being discussed, and blew any chance we might have had. And that horse has now well and truly bolted. Classic, tight, tough game on Sunday, as we've seen so many times between these two great clubs. Thankfully this time we were on the right end of it, because we've been on the other end plenty enough in my time. There's no club you want to beat more than Port, and there's no opponent I've ever respected more than them.

A number of players will be picked up from Norwood I would think as well. Remarkable winning 3 giving the list changes!

A reference was made earlier about Norwood not being able to match Central's run of premierships. That's not going to happen. Central has a core group that ran for the duration of their success are they remained virtually unfettered by AFL intrusions, so they were able to start each new season as they left off. As you correctly pointed out, Norwood have had to start each season from the beginning, having to pull together a team from virtual scratch. This season's flag was a miracle when you consider the setbacks (loss of players and coach) and introduction of AFL clubs into the competition. I've seen 8 premierships at Norwood in the 50 years I've supported them. 2014 was the club's finest hour.

Just on the AFL intrusion, I will never understand why the AFL clubs raid Norwood and then have our players running around in reserves competitions all season. This has been happening a lot over the past 4-5 years and it's annoying the hell out of me. If they just want to bolster lists, why not select local kids and play them in the reserves instead? I cannot believe Trent Dumont didn't score at least 1 game for North, and Fuller not getting a game with the Bulldogs was unbelievable.

A reference was made earlier about Norwood not being able to match Central's run of premierships. That's not going to happen. Central has a core group that ran for the duration of their success are they remained virtually unfettered by AFL intrusions, so they were able to start each new season as they left off. As you correctly pointed out, Norwood have had to start each season from the beginning, having to pull together a team from virtual scratch. This season's flag was a miracle when you consider the setbacks (loss of players and coach) and introduction of AFL clubs into the competition. I've seen 8 premierships at Norwood in the 50 years I've supported them. 2014 was the club's finest hour.

Just on the AFL intrusion, I will never understand why the AFL clubs raid Norwood and then have our players running around in reserves competitions all season. This has been happening a lot over the past 4-5 years and it's annoying the hell out of me. If they just want to bolster lists, why not select local kids and play them in the reserves instead? I cannot believe Trent Dumont didn't score at least 1 game for North, and Fuller not getting a game with the Bulldogs was unbelievable.

At least the Hawks saw the worth in Puopolo. Shame he never played in a flag for the legs!

My folks are also Norwood and Sturt fans, my mum has better taste of course ;) If Norwood entered the AFL tomorrow I would be torn.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back