Past #39: Eric Wallace - released by the Carolina Panthers

niko11

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Surely that was proof he was fitting in well at Collingwood?
Yeah and most yanks think Aussie Rules is Rugby! Yeah that would be right and earth is really flat also..

Last edited by a moderator:

Phillyroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles Baby
Yeah and most yanks think Aussie Rules is Rugby! Yeah that would be right and earth is really flat also..
Hahaha, generalise much? You sound every bit as dumb as you are making them out to be!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
"Shae had enormous talent and we gave him three years," says Collingwood Recruiting Manager, Derek Hine, while sipping a coffee inside a club-owned cafe inside Westpac Centre, the club's state-of-the-art training facility.

Great, so now we're being trolled by journos thousands of miles away in the US. :p

Good article.

GilG

All Australian
May 20, 2013
Los Angeles, California, USA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
New York Mets
Roos supporters: Thanks so much for reading the story I wrote for sbnation.com. I appreciate the feedback and I thank North for treating me so well when I made my visit to Arden Street during Grand Final Week. You guys had a fantastic season — and you took out my Dockers on our home ground. Because you guys have so many talls waiting in the wings behind Todd Goldstein, like Ben Brown and Majak Daw and just got Jarrad Waite and drafted Sam Durdin, it'll be tough for The Beast to break in. Still, I wouldn't ever count him out. Cheers — and see you guys in Rd 8! :)

Last edited:
Roos supporters: Thanks so much for reading the story I wrote for sbnation.com. I appreciate the feedback and I thank North for treating me so well when I made my visit to Arden Street during Grand Final Week. You guys had a fantastic season — and you took out my Dockers on our home ground. Because you guys have so many talls waiting in the wings behind Todd Goldstein, like Ben Brown and Majak Daw and just got Jarrad Waite and drafted Sam Durdin, it'll be tough for The Beast to break in. Still, I wouldn't ever count him out. Cheers — and see you guys in Rd 8! :)
And thanks very much for the article Gil, easily the clubhouse leader for best footy article of the offseason so far.

Your account of Eric rings very true to those of us who have met him; really nice guy, humble, soft spoken, but clearly driven and a competitive beast (pun intended). If he keeps coming on this year and gets a shot he will have truly deserved it.

The youtube vid of his screamer against Geelong is easy enough to find via the club's YT page (can't link it at the moment from work). You should post it in the comments to the article.

GilG

All Australian
May 20, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
New York Mets
And thanks very much for the article Gil, easily the clubhouse leader for best footy article of the offseason so far.

Your account of Eric rings very true to those of us who have met him; really nice guy, humble, soft spoken, but clearly driven and a competitive beast (pun intended). If he keeps coming on this year and gets a shot he will have truly deserved it.

The youtube vid of his screamer against Geelong is easy enough to find via the club's YT page (can't link it at the moment from work). You should post it in the comments to the article.

Excellent idea about posting that video of The Beast's "absolute screamer," Rob. Just posted it. And thank you for reading the piece and glad you enjoyed it. Aren't the photos spectacular? Dave Savell, Mark Bruty and Adam Trafford got some ripper pics.

Last edited:
It was a really good read especially during the footy starved period we are now in. After reading it I was curious about how much the US players felt the socio-cultural differences etc. One of my best friends is married to a Californian (not Paul Roos;)) and she fitted in pretty easily. Probably the main thing it took some time to adjust to was the local sense of humour and especially the use of irony, got a lot of blank looks for a year or two. Barracking for Collingwood didn't stop the govt making her a citizen....

It was a really good read especially during the footy starved period we are now in. After reading it I was curious about how much the US players felt the socio-cultural differences etc. One of my best friends is married to a Californian (not Paul Roos;)) and she fitted in pretty easily. Probably the main thing it took some time to adjust to was the local sense of humour and especially the use of irony, got a lot of blank looks for a year or two. Barracking for Collingwood didn't stop the govt making her a citizen....
With the humor side of things, l get a lot of strange looks overseas, i suppose l should stop wearing my gimp suits overseas then as well;).

GilG

All Australian
May 20, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
New York Mets
I was curious about how much the US players felt the socio-cultural differences etc. .

Eric told me he's still looking for an authentic Carolina pulled pork BBQ sandwich in Melbourne (though as fit as he is, I don't imagine him eating too many during the season). Jason told me he's guilty of being confused driving on the "other" side of the road, as he was once in St. Kilda. A bunch of recruits to the Draft Combine have told me that when out at dinner at Melbourne restaurants when they asked for lemonade and were served Sprite. In 2013, when I bought an Aussie cell phone in Melbourne and took it to a store to add monetary value to my calling plan, the store clerk called it "re-charging," which we would call "topping up." "Re-charging" to us means plugging the phone into a wall socket to increase battery power.

And while I deeply love your country — one of my Year 12 students even says I'm an Aussie trapped in an American's body — the eight-digit telephone number format always throws me off (we use seven numbers here). Same thing when people say "double five," of "triple four," when reciting a series of numbers, such as in a phone number. :confused: We're not used to that. We'd say "five-five" or "four-four-four."

But I do correct my countrymen when they pronounce Melbourne as "MELL-born" or Brisbane as "BRIZZ-bain." And when I yell out the Fremantle "FREEEEEEEEOOOOOOO!" chant, I'm forced to change my own accent from "FREEEEEEE-OH!" to "FRAAAAYYYY-OH!" :)

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
In 2013, when I bought an Aussie cell phone in Melbourne and took it to a store to add monetary value to my calling plan, the store clerk called it "re-charging," which we would call "topping up." "Re-charging" to us means plugging the phone into a wall socket to increase battery power.

Most people here I'd think would have the same interpretation of those terms as you did.

Your store clerk must've been something of a maverick, a lone retail wolf looking to forge their own path if you will.

Authentic pulled pork and Reuben sandwiches are made at a couple of places I know of in downtown Melbourne GilG.

Bowery to Williamsburg
7:30am-3:00pm
16 Oliver Lane
Melbourne VIC 3000

And

Reubens American Sandwiches
In the foodcourt next door to 470 Collins St (owned and run by a bloke from Boston).

Sensational and the only ones I've had here which replicate the sandwiches I've had often in NY. The menu includes a "Pulled Pork Sandwich" too.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Sensational and the only ones I've had here which replicate the sandwiches I've had often in NY. The menu includes a "Pulled Pork Sandwich" too.

Eagerly awaiting the classic Twinkletoes punch line.

Eric told me he's still looking for an authentic Carolina pulled pork BBQ sandwich in Melbourne (though as fit as he is, I don't imagine him eating too many during the season). Jason told me he's guilty of being confused driving on the "other" side of the road, as he was once in St. Kilda. A bunch of recruits to the Draft Combine have told me that when out at dinner at Melbourne restaurants when they asked for lemonade and were served Sprite. In 2013, when I bought an Aussie cell phone in Melbourne and took it to a store to add monetary value to my calling plan, the store clerk called it "re-charging," which we would call "topping up." "Re-charging" to us means plugging the phone into a wall socket to increase battery power.

And while I deeply love your country — one of my Year 12 students even says I'm an Aussie trapped in an American's body — the eight-digit telephone number format always throws me off (we use seven numbers here). Same thing when people say "double five," of "triple four," when reciting a series of numbers, such as in a phone number. :confused: We're not used to that. We'd say "five-five" or "four-four-four."

But I do correct my countrymen when they pronounce Melbourne as "MELL-born" or Brisbane as "BRIZZ-bain." And when I yell out the Fremantle "FREEEEEEEEOOOOOOO!" chant, I'm forced to change my own accent from "FREEEEEEE-OH!" to "FRAAAAYYYY-OH!" :)

Sprite was marketed as lemonade (and labelled as Sprite Lemonade) from the time it was first available here. Check out this tv ad from 1989...

Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool
Sprite was marketed as lemonade (and labelled as Sprite Lemonade) from the time it was first available here. Check out this tv ad from 1989...

I don't really drink it, or soft drinks generally. What's the difference?

I don't really drink it, or soft drinks generally. What's the difference?
I believe it's a lemon/lime flavoured drink in the US

Back